Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/12/2003 12:25:18 PM EDT
If I were to move to California (there is a possibility), would I have to get rid of my AK and AR? I read the laws on the Kalifornya state website, and for what I understood, you had to get a permit and transfer them into the state through a dealer. Is this right, wrong, or is there a law passed after the one I read that would change those requirements?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:56:50 PM EDT
I don't live there, and am really not up on the Kali laws, but I figured what I remember might get this rolling....

IIRC, AKs and ARs are banned in California, unless it was registered prior to a certain date.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:40:41 PM EDT
Simple answer, and I know you don't want to hear it....DON'T mov to Kalifornistan!!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:23:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2003 3:24:48 PM EDT by Mb121]
IIRC all assault weapons are banned in California and there is not any special permits for civilians to own "assault weapons". I found a website that said it was inacted in 1989, it was called the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act. Also I found a website that said that the California AWB started in 1999.

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:44:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:48:40 PM EDT
Thanks for the info, especially Troy- that really clarified things. I reeeeally hope I don't end up there.... it's a dead end for people with "AWs" who move in, and it's a dead end for people with AW's who are already there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:55:53 AM EDT
Troy's answer is pretty much on target. There are 2 AW bans. Roberti-Roos specifies the firearms banned by name. The AK and AR "series" rifles include just about everything. SB-23 bans firearms by 'evil' feature. Getting a permit to import one is virtually impossible. If you choose to break the law, you will be charged with a crime per firearm.

Standard capacity magazines are banned. You ma only bring in magazines that hold 10 rounds or less. If you choose to break the law, you will be charged with a crime per magazine.

Also, if you bring handguns, you are required by law to register each one (at $14 each) with the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Information.
Top Top