Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 8:31:15 AM EDT
I'm a student on a limited budget so I'm debating between a SAR-2 and a SEAK.

I can get a SAR-2 for half the price for essentially the same gun.

I know that with the SEAK you get special engraving and what not but I don't really require such a thing.

Am I just better off getting a SAR-2?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same position you are, a limited budget that does not allow for expensive toys.  I would like to buy one of the nice AK rifles they are getting ready to sell, but have to suffice with my SAR-1.

Red Faction
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Rory,

Big difference between the two (parts wise). You'll spend more money upgrading stocks, parkerizing, trigger assy, and countless number other parts if you buy the sar 2.  I'm facing the same problem with a sar 1 I bought.  The SAR is a great little gun for the money, but I also like 'finer' parts like stocks, trigger asy, etc so I'm having all this work done thats pushing the price up to almost the price of a SEAK.  BTW - I'm also ordering a SEAK just for that reason instead of buying a SAR 2.

Bottom line - Go with what you can afford.  You can always upgrade later if you want the premium items on your ak.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#3]
The SEAK will certainly be a nicer gun than the SAR2. (wish my current budget would allow me to commit, I've actually considered parting with one my other guns for a down payment)

Yes, the SAR will cost less initially. If I were a student with a limited budget I think I'd try like hell to buy the nicer of the two. The SEAK will provide you with an authentic AK74 that you won't want to modify. I don't own one box-stock SAR, very few folks who frequent these boards do... (stockset, muzzle brake, re-finish, polished bolt carrier, the list goes on and on)

I'd say the SAR2 is the perfect 'fixer upper' if that appeals to you. Considering the time and money I've spent on mine, I wish there would have been a SEAK alternative.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...I don't own one box-stock SAR, very few folks who frequent these boards do... (stockset, muzzle brake, re-finish, polished bolt carrier, the list goes on and on)

I have to raise my hand here.  My SAR is "box-stock" except for refinishing the wood.  I used Easy Off oven cleaner and removed the finish, and then restained and put a light coat of satin polyurethane to seal and protect.  I think it looks good.  It will do me until I get out of the current job I have, and start to make a bit more money.

Red Faction
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'd say the SAR2 is the perfect 'fixer upper' if that appeals to you. Considering the time and money I've spent on mine, I wish there would have been a SEAK alternative.

Yep.  (To both sentences.)

5sub
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a gun just like the SEAK built last year. When my SAR2 and Bulgy build have the same triggers and optics, the 100yd groups are 1/2" bigger on avg with the SAR2, and a bit less consistent. I take this to be an indicator of bbl quality, which you can not change later. But if saving money up front is worth that to you, find a nice SAR2.
US parts count triggers from Century are cheap and vary in quality from occasionally real nice (Dred223's was a nice suprise) to crap. Romy paint is not as good a finish as a quality park job either. A med grey park job looks nice with my dark blonde SAR2 wood, and I have no regrets about either.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Start selling your blood now!  And Get BOTH!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top