Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 3:41:36 AM EDT
Good Morning Everyone,

I'm looking at having Global trades reparkerize my SAR 1.  Has anyone used them for any of their services/gun smith?  also would like them to thread and weld a slant break on the front.

Throughts?  The good the bad the ugly.  If Global Trades is not recommended then who?

My sar 1 is really ugly and it needs a little TLC before the SEAK arrives. :)
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:47:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thankyou sir!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Personal opinion of Jimmy at global trades...great. I speak with him at every gun show and he is always more than willing to assist or just run his mouth.....and he keeps trying to sell my girlfriend a rifle.....
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I had some work done by Global, and I wasn't particulary pleased.  I think they are currently more interested in selling rifles than doing custom work.  I had an SLR-95 converted to pistol grip configuration and among other things, the lower tang was welded on crooked.  My recommendation would be Randy at Independence Arms
www.Independencearms.com

He's out of Dallas.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Just because people should have lots of choices : AK USA
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Chris@AK-USA rocks I just got the PMKMS build by Chris it's a beauty,arsenal USA customer service SUCKS!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, Thanks for the links...any others while were at it?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

www.InvestmentGradeFirearms.com
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure Global Trades could do a good job with parkerizing and adding a slant muzzle break, but I don't think I'd have them do anything more complicated than that. I have one of their rifles, big problems at first, sent it back for repair, came back worse. Eventually they replaced it (and Jimmy was great about that) but the new one I got has a slightly canted front sight, but at least it functions now. I added one of they're adjustable rear sights to correct for the front sight being pushed way over. Also had to do some squeezing on the mag well. Mags were flopping around. Their stuff looks great, but I have some concerns about quality control for complete rifles or major modifications.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Firing Line
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm sure Global Trades could do a good job with parkerizing and adding a slant muzzle break, but I don't think I'd have them do anything more complicated than that. I have one of their rifles, big problems at first, sent it back for repair, came back worse. Eventually they replaced it (and Jimmy was great about that) but the new one I got has a slightly canted front sight, but at least it functions now. I added one of they're adjustable rear sights to correct for the front sight being pushed way over. Also had to do some squeezing on the mag well. Mags were flopping around. Their stuff looks great, but I have some concerns about quality control for complete rifles or major modifications.

I wouldn't have them do anything after the fucked up rifle I received from them earlier this year.  Thank God I was able to get a full refund.  Their customer service sucks and their quality control is the worst.  Avoid those idiots like the plague (Ron is the worst dipshit of them all).
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I've emailed all these companies about their thoughts, etc.  I do think I'll go with Investment Grade Firearms.   A few of the other companies seem to have a few 'kinks'
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#13]
www.ohiorapidfire.com does refinishing as well...
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:17:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Get ORF to 'Blark' it!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I had some work done by Global, and I wasn't particulary pleased.  I think they are currently more interested in selling rifles than doing custom work.

I would agree, and they told me as much prior to my visit.

I had them install a krinkov break.  They did an excellent job with the mount and weld, but they put the damn thing on sideways.  So, instead of the majority of the gas venting upward, it vents to the right.  But, hey, they are more experienced than I, and maybe the break is more effective this way?  Does anyone know??

I must share some of the blame though, because I should have looked at the rifle more closely when I picked it up.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top