Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/9/2003 10:51:31 AM EDT
I'm about to buy more AK74 mags, but I'm being indecisive. I have 5 orange E. German bakelite mags and can buy plenty more for as little as $5 each. But, I kind of like the way the Bulgarian black synthetic mags look, however they're twice as much! My AK74 has black K-Var furniture, but that might change.

So, is there an advantage of one type of mag over the other (ie. strenth, reliability, etc.) or is it purely cosmetic?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:06:43 PM EDT
There may be an extreme test, but I have never heard of either failing for any reason. For about the same price as black poly, the chocolate/olive Bulgys at kvar look about right with either wood or black plastic.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:47:28 PM EDT
The brown Bulgarian synthetic mags at K-Var are nice. I just ordered a couple & the pix on their website don't do justice to them. Sort of a Hershey chocolate brown. Might look weird in a AK with black furniture.....but not as much as the funky orange/red bakelite mags.

I will say the bakelite seems a little heavier & "tougher" than the polymer mags but the polymer mags aren't as slick (rougher texture + ribs on front & back) as the bakelite...something to consider with wet/greasy condtions. And the bakelites aren't exactly "tactical" being rather loud, polished red/orange with shiny black painted floorplates vs the satin brown or black mag body & satin black parkerized <?>floorplate of the polymer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:19:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:16:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
in the time honored tradition of ar15com...GET THEM ALL...LOTS OF THEM ALL!!!

they all run fine...what's not to love about them all!!

more mags! just a few more mags and i'll be fine...honest!

When I first got my 5.45 I figured the only mags I'd ever need would be the E German bakelites.......now I'm considering ordering more of the chocolate Bulgarian, a few of the black Bulgy mags, a Polish steel or 2, & maybe a Russki bakelite for collector purposes. Perhaps a 45rnd RPK mag or 2 if the $$$$ is reasonable (real deal RPK74 mags, not the Joking frankenmag 40rnd)
I'm even considering buying some of the Hungarian 20rnd 'tanker' 7.62x39 mags & I don't even have a 7.62 Ak (yet!!!).
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:01:30 PM EDT
I'm not much help here. I have subscribed to the "more is better" theory. I get more E. German bakelites for the same dough ponied up for the synthetics.

However, I would grab some "fancy" mags in a heartbeat if the price was right.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:29:05 PM EDT
The brown Bulgarians look pretty good with black, IMO.

This is a nice illustration of the effect:

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:22:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AJjer_Bullets:
The brown Bulgarians look pretty good with black, IMO.

This is a nice illustration of the effect:

www.aa-ok.com/11122x.jpg

Man, that does look sweet.
Top Top