Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 8:13:01 AM EDT
After much thought and much saving on a limited budget, I went over to the dark side and bought a Saiga rifle.  I took it apart last night and cleaned up some of the extra oil in it.  I must say, it looks and feels wonderful.  I can't wait to take it out and shoot it as soon as the weather clears up.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
the saiga you bought, is it like this
http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/inven_product.asp?dealer_id=859905&item=170285&instock=all&manufact_combo=Izhmash&mod_ser_combo=None&category_combo=2&model=None&g_type=None&act_type=&finish_type=None&calib_combo=None&sight_class_combo=None&price_range=None&left_handed=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=
i didn't realize it was such a long addy.  i was looking at this just a couple of days ago.  will it accept hicaps?  let me know how you like it.  might have to pick one up.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#2]
This is what it looks like.
http://www.galleryofguns.com/gungallery/PowerSearch/showimage.asp?img=170344.jpg

Mine is the .223 and it's really an AK101 with a modified stock and the trigger moved back.  A lot of people re-configure the rifle back into a more traditional setup, but you have to make sure to include/replace 5 (I think) American made parts if you want to modify it.

Going back to your question, no it doesn't accept high capacity magazines, unless you do a little work yourself.  If I understand correctly, they put the feed ramp into the magazine instead of the magwell.  You can fix that if you're any good with tools, and there's lots of information on the web on how to put a feed ramp into the magwell.

I'm hoping the awb ends, and then they'll import high capacity magazines for these guns.

BTW, you should expect to pay less than $300 for one of these guns, unless it's the .308 version, which might cost around $300 or a little over.  I bought mine for about $230, but it's a .223.  The 7.62x39 version should only cost around $200 - $225.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I also recently bought a hunter-style 223 Saiga. Bought some spare handguards from Chris at ak-103.com to practice ventilating for heat dispersion, and plan on using some of the info in our Russian forum to convert the rest.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I finally got to take it out shooting, and it was great.  Functioned well, and was surprisingly accurate.  I wasn't punching paper, but it hit everything I aimed at, including a three inch thick branch at about 70-75 yards (don't worry, it was already dead).  Shooting off hand with my poor eyes, that's really saying something.  I was rushed for time, so I didn't get to set up targets beyond 75 yards this last time.  I hope to go for some 150-200 yard targets the next time I go out.

What a wonderful plinker for under $250!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the saiga you bought, is it like this
www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/inven_product.asp?dealer_id=859905&item=170285&instock=all&manufact_combo=Izhmash&mod_ser_combo=None&category_combo=2&model=None&g_type=None&act_type=&finish_type=None&calib_combo=None&sight_class_combo=None&price_range=None&left_handed=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=
i didn't realize it was such a long addy.  i was looking at this just a couple of days ago.  will it accept hicaps?  let me know how you like it.  might have to pick one up.

Made link hot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is what it looks like.
www.galleryofguns.com/gungallery/PowerSearch/showimage.asp?img=170344.jpg

Mine is the .223 and it's really an AK101 with a modified stock and the trigger moved back.  A lot of people re-configure the rifle back into a more traditional setup, but you have to make sure to include/replace 5 (I think) American made parts if you want to modify it.

Going back to your question, no it doesn't accept high capacity magazines, unless you do a little work yourself.  If I understand correctly, they put the feed ramp into the magazine instead of the magwell.  You can fix that if you're any good with tools, and there's lots of information on the web on how to put a feed ramp into the magwell.

I'm hoping the awb ends, and then they'll import high capacity magazines for these guns.

BTW, you should expect to pay less than $300 for one of these guns, unless it's the .308 version, which might cost around $300 or a little over.  I bought mine for about $230, but it's a .223.  The 7.62x39 version should only cost around $200 - $225.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
congratilations!

you have purchased one of the best made kalashnikovs on the market.

I just pray the AWB ends next year.  I'm hoping to buy the Saiga .308 with a thumbhole stock, flash surpressor, and a magazine that holds more than ten rounds. I also want high capacity magazines for my .223.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top