Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/19/2003 2:53:25 PM EDT
I just bought a new (2002 model) SAR 1, after much research.  I have, as always, a limited budget. ( 1 in college and one 1 high school )
I would like to customize it to fit my needs (wants).  What I want to do is put a muzzle brake on it, a forward vertical grip, a red dot scope, a better pistol grip, and a tactical light.  Is there a pin on brake that will fit this weapon or do I need to get it threaded and permantly affixed. Can I put a rail on the lower handguard to mount the light and forward grip or do I need to buy the pre-made one (vendors please?)I can mount a rail made for the AR with the use of a dremel tool if the lower handgaurd can support it.  I like the Hogue pistol grip as I have one on my AR as shown from Ultimac.com.  I also like the looks of their forward scope mount that replaces the gas tube, but am leary of the heat that might be generated, affecting the scope.  Would a regular side mount with Weavers be better?  I know this is a lot of shit to ask in one post, but I trust the experience of the board to steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.---savage1
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
savage1,  I'm in the same boat as you.  I recently ordered the scope rail from Ultimak.  They said heat would not adversely effect the scope.  Especially on semi-auto.  Mine is semi only and I only bump fire to impress the guys at work!  I'm currently attaching an accesory rail for a forward grip and tac-light to plastic furniture so I can't comment on making it fit into a wood grip.  When I;m all done I'll try and get pics up, but it'll be awhile.  I didn't like the idea of the standard scope rail cause it seems too high for me and I wanted a red dot.  I think the red dot will work fine above the gas tube and I can still co-witness my iron sights with the Ultimak rail.  Installation is very easy and I hear they have the best instructions...i need them as I have zero mechanical skills.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I installed one of the weaver rails for AR15's on a plastic handguard and attached a KAC vertical grip on my old SAR3.I also mounted the Ultimak gas tube and had excellent results.I mounted an Eotech to it but it didn't co-witness with the iron sights.I plan on buying another Ultimak for my SAR1 and mounting an Aimpoint so it will co-witness.I'm currently looking into mounting a decent light as well.I have come up with a couple ideas. 1)Surefire Classic Series light that mounts to the barrel.This light has a pressure pad switch that could be mounted to the side of your handguard. 2)Installing a weaver-railed handguard.This allows mounting of a vertical grip and a Surefire G2 light.The G2 can be mounted with a 1" scope ring or a Fobus light mount. 3) Mounting a weaver-railed handguard and attaching a Surefire M900 which is a grip/light combo. #2 would be the cheapest route and #3 the most expensive. #1 would work great if you didn't want a vertical grip. Tapco has some nice SAW style grips for the AK and as mentioned, www.riflestocks.com sells a whole bunch of great US made grips as well as othe AK accessories.Just remember, customizing is only limited by your imagination and maybe your budget.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I will stipulate that Campy has forgotten more about Kalashnikovs than I'll ever know. That having been said; like everybody else I have both an asshole and an opinion. (Not necessarily in that order)

Optics: I've owned a couple of Kobras and they are damned fine gear. However, I settled on Optimaks and Aimpoints for both my 7.62 and 5.45 guns even though the latter setup is a lot more costly. Reasons: Weight, optical quality, cheek weld, co-witness with irons, and the rifle will fit in the gun safe among it's brethren without having to remove the scope. The issue of overheating the scope is non-existent.

Lighting: I put Surefire barrel clamps on all my carbines. This allows me to swap one expensive Surefire light between all my carbines in about seven seconds.

Pistol grip. I very much like the Tapco minimi grip. The ergonomics are excellent and it has a compartment where you can store batteries for your light, red-dot, and any marital aids you may have brought along.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Good stuff fairly cheap means:
Kobra- I agree with SD on many points but the $150 unit is hard to beat and easy to sell for close to that if you change your mind later.
ak-103.com- $50.50 delivered got my US parts muzzle adaptor and 74-style brake, finish the bare parts, fit on the bbl, tack weld to the front sight base on both sides

and any of the posts above can work out fine...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top