Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/14/2003 5:14:55 PM EDT
Just got my SAR-2 back from the smith, who had it for months. I won't tell who it is or how much I paid, he has enough work to do as it is! He really outdid himself on this one, its even more gorgeous than my SAR-1. I love the polished bolt carrier, it just serves to distinguish the gun just a bit more from other SAR series guns. In the pictures taken with flash, the uneven appearance of the receiver is due to me handling it ALOT-- I just finished adjusting the Red Star trigger and applying the locktite and all, so those are fingerprints. Sunday I'm going to heat it up and burn off all the oil, then oil it down with sewing machine oil and that will finish curing the bluing job.

Ok, so the question is, which configuration do you guys like better--original style with iron sights and wood stock, or the more modern-looking AKS74 style with RPB faux folding stock and Kobra sight? The red pistol grip is a real Russian grip, so it can only go on the gun when the American made RPB stock is on there or I violate 922.

Old School:

Early 90's Style

Gratuitous beauty shot

And one more, to show that there isn't really much contrast in color between the reciever, the buttstock, and the Kobra sight. The flash on the camera made it seem like they don't match, so here is a shot I took sans flash:

I'm so happy to have my SAR back, its been gone since June! Which way do you like it and why?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:17:01 PM EDT
Duke, both look fine but I prefer number two.

5sub
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:41:41 PM EDT
What you have done is what I think everyone should do with there SARs.

That said, some things I noticed are:

-Try some laminate handguards on that puppy, or some Bulgarian AK74 wood handguards.

-The flash has highlighted the fingerprints and oil-smears on the finish. Wipe it down real good and take another pic if you want to increase the attractiveness even more!

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:47:33 PM EDT
Laminate is cool, the lower handguard on my SAR-1 is laminate and I might try to get laminate for the rest of its furniture. But it also looks pretty good as is:

Alot of what I've done with the 5.45 gun has been motivated by a desire to differentiate it from the 7.62 gun. Anything I can do to ensure they have different "personalities" when shooting only enhances my enjoyment of having both of them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:34:53 PM EDT
While both look good, I am partial to the updated version-'course mine looks very similar, except with laminate furniture with my fake folder.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:45:34 PM EDT
The old school wood looks right to me. I think you need a wood grip to match the rest of the furniture though.

Nice AK
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:40:16 PM EDT
Old school all the way. Though you might get a USA made laminated buttstock & use the red Russki grip. Too bad nobody is making 922 compliant red/bakelite grips or AK74 mag followers & floorplates. I'd buy a 922 compliant red/orange bakelite grip in a heartbeat.
I'd love to use E German brown plastic furniture on mine but there's not enuff parts left over to swap out & still use the E German grip. If I had a 7.62x39 there'd be no problem.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:01:14 AM EDT
You "Old School" guys just ain't got no taste !

Duke, you do need to put the grenade launcher pad on your frame stock. Not for recoil but because it gives a little longer pull.

5sub
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:33:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 5subslr5:

Duke, you do need to put the grenade launcher pad on your frame stock. Not for recoil but because it gives a little longer pull.

5sub

Actually, I like the shorter pull of the AK. I also like A1 stocks on AR15s. What's cool about the faux folder is, with irons it makes the cheek weld too low (you'd really need a dragunov-style pad or something to press your face against), but with the Kobra its perfect for runnin' and gunnin' with no cheek weld at all at Missouri Defensive Carbine Club shoots. As long as I can see my reticle in the Kobra sight, I have an excellent sight picture with both eyes open, no matter where my head is located.

RiffRandall--maybe we can petition KVAR?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:00:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By -Duke-Nukem-:

Originally Posted By 5subslr5:

5sub

Actually, I like the shorter pull of the AK. I also like A1 stocks on AR15s. What's cool about the faux folder is, with irons it makes the cheek weld too low (you'd really need a dragunov-style pad or something to press your face against), but with the Kobra its perfect for runnin' and gunnin' with no cheek weld at all at Missouri Defensive Carbine Club shoots. As long as I can see my reticle in the Kobra sight, I have an excellent sight picture with both eyes open, no matter where my head is located.

Heck, I'm one of those 5'9"-10" guys but with knuckle-dragging arms. These AK stocks were not built for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:06:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -Duke-Nukem-:

Sounds like a plan. They do sell a 922 grip in OD green & plum but from the pics it (plum)looks too much like black. Could just be a bad pic.
A dark reddish brown '922' grip like the grips on my Cz52 (or the old 'Mohawk Brown' Remington Nylon66) would kickass also. Plain old black looks too modern, while funky red/brown/orange is properly 'commie' looking.

Re the floor plate/follower issue: do the E German/Russki bakelite AK74 mags use the same floorplate/follower as the Bulgy polymer? I need to break down & buy some extra mags...STILL waiting on my Northridge mag order (Sept29th & counting). How's K-Var on actually shipping your order?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:29:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:05:13 PM EDT
Campy, too much time was spent with the Minwax on that wood to take it ALL off. Was looking at some black forend furniture from KVAR the other day just to have yet another option, but its kinda expensive for what you get.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:30:35 PM EDT
Duke,
I like the second mod (surprise!). But i think i don't like the different colors of the stock/pistol grip/ mags. When i got my SAR-1 it had really poorly mismatched wood. Really detracted from the overall unity of the piece. Laminate stocks are really nice. They are aesthetically superior to the crap that gets imported these days. You might be able to take the original wood, strip it, and stain it to match your bakelite mags. Now that would look nice!!! Get a wood pistol grip to match it as well.
Since KOBRAs are being issued to the varying Soviet block regions, as a standard, I really think it'll work as far as an 'authentic' weapon is concerned (If it aint pre-ban its a jalopy anyway).
Never really been a fan of the Krink stock. Just me I guess.
As far as the K-Var stuff goes. i bought the Black synthetic set and it has heat sheilds in the foreend that you will thank for for the rest of the weapons life!!! Real quality workmanship. I bought a forend set from www.tacticalgears.com that was SHIT!!!! Melted on me after 350 rounds...freakin terrible crap, and a terrible company....stay away from them. I went back and mounted the rail on the old K-Var set and everything has been fine since.
Top Top