Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2003 7:32:16 PM EDT
I traded my AR carbine to a buddy for his AR receiver, $400, and some ammo. I had planned to build another AR carbine with some different specs more to my liking...Then I came across the opportunity to buy a built M-14(semiauto) from all US parts. So I started thinking that if I have a nice precision rifle like the M-14 I don't really need an AR. I just need a robust reliable CQB lead slinger!LOL I've had 3 AK type rifles before(2 MAK90s and a SAR2) so I know that they work and are extremely reliable. The question I have is, what accessories should I add to a Romanian SAR1 with laminated stocks? I want it to be a good CQB weapon and I'm thinking of adding a Red Star peep sight and tactical mag release. I also want to have the rifle refinished in a matte teflon black and add a AKM compensator to it. What else is there that I need/want? Your opinions please...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:43:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Kobra, RSA trigger set, 74-style brake and bbl adaptor from ak-103.com. All are on mine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#3]
You can't go wrong with what those two just said!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:33:47 AM EDT
[#4]
The only other thing would be a decent 3 point sling.  Or a light if you CQB in low light or need to ID a target.

But that is just me...I'm an equipment whore.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm kind of in the same boat.I just sold my preban AR and am looking at maybe buying an AK instead.My problem is I would like a surefire mounted on it and maybe an Aimpoint. How do you guys that compete in 3 gun have your AK's configured? I plan on taking more carbine courses but not sure how well I'd do with an AK not being as ergonomic as my AR. I'm also thinking about getting one of the Polytech side-folders.Does anyone have any complaints about them?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]
From a purely personal preference standpoint, I add a vertical pistol grip.

5sub
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Redstar trigger, Kobra site, and perhaps a better sling.  Anything more than that is just gravy.  Perhaps a discussion with Troy at Inrange would be in order if you are in his area.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How do you guys that compete in 3 gun have your AK's configured?

check out the enhanced magazine release available from redstararms. it definitely makes mags swaps faster.

also, use thr rsa trigger group for a more calm shot release (translation: better accuracy).

kobra for short and fast plates, a telescopic sight for longer plates.

Thanks. I plan on getting the mag release.I had it on a SAR-3.How abot light setups? What sort of options are there for mounting a Surefire? How about the Russian lights that Tantal sells?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks forthe input guys...my goal with this SAR1 is to mimick a laminated stocked AKM. But I still want a useful CQB lead hose...I had a 5.45 SAR2 and loved the low recoil but I got a Yugo SKS and want ammo continuity. Would a AK74 style break be that much more beneficial? I might have to really consider the RSA trigger group. Also as  a side note I meant to put a Krebs rear peep sight rather than the RSA one. I've never done anything to an AK before so this is new territory for me and I appreciate your help!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top