Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 7:07:40 PM EDT
I know it's been done before but I'm thinking about producing a "Blackjack tactical safety lever" available with or without the bolt-hold-open notch.  This would allow the engaging or disengaging of the safety lever while keeping the hand on the grip.  Depending on what kind of deal I can get on the levers, I'm hoping to be able to sell the unnotched levers for under $30 and with the notch for a few dollars more.  Finish will be Guncoat or bake-on enamel in matt black, blueing or parked would be extra.  I'm testing the waters here so let me know if you think there is a market for something like this.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If that sucker works, I'd be interested.  Especially with a reliable bolt hold open.  Thats one of the biggest problems of the AK system.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't mind one, but I like it without the bolt notch cut out. My AK104 has a hold open next to the trigger, and I prefer to have the dustcover protection that the safety is there for. Your extension looks decent and comfortable for what I would use though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Blackjack1

If it will fit my Sar 3, I'll take one. I have been thinking of modifying it anyway. Let me know!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I would take one with the hold open option.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]
not to bust your dreams......but for basically just a few minutes work, and a dremel anyone can notch out their selector. it's not like this can only be done by highly skilled gunsmith.

also if you search the internet, global trades has the selectors for 10 bucks put the shipping in (8 bucks) and it's 18 bucks total. so unless you can beat their price,  I really don't see anybody buying them for more then 18 bucks shipped, 20 bucks shipped if it's a notched selector.

I'm sure that if I search hard enough I probably can find a selector going for a whole lot less then 10 dollars shipped, put a notch in it and it will still be cheaper then what you would be selling it for.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to burst anyones bubble here, but....

What's the use of have a bolt open modified selector if it isn't a last round hold open. You still have to manually lock the bolt to the rear.

I agree it's a shortcoming of the AK series, dealt with in the SIG500 series. But with this selector and with many solutions(which mostly require magazine modifications) you still don't get a last round hold open.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Some ranges require you have a hold open device.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Put me down for two.

SD
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Just pull the bolt all the way back, then pull and hold the trigger. Slowly release bolt.

^Bolt hold open with no mods.^

However, the ability to unlatch the safety with your thumb is a good idea.

Ship them in tactical olive drab.

Oh yes, blackjack...
I want some m11/9 buffers. Is their any reason I should choose your brand over generic 5 for $3.00 buffers?  Do you offer a discount if purchased in bulk? Could I place generic buffers in my gun and then place yours over the generic without ill affect?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Here it is with and without the notch.

True, anyone can cut out their saftey lever, fewer can weld on the rear finger tab, but for those that don't want to do either I offer a solution.
My Sar-3 will hold open by using the bolt/trigger method but my other AK's won't.

As to my M-11 buffers...average life of standard amber m-11 buffers I hear is about 2000 rds, to date I'm not aware of anyone being able to wear out mine which have been out 2-3 years now.

As to stacking buffers...You can do it but it's going to speed up the rate of fire.

I haven't actually gone into production yet on these levers untill I can find a decient price on the raw levers.  I'll let you all know when they are available both here and on my web site.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Mine is a spent cartridge case.  I actually have one of those yellow plastic open bolt indicators, but I keep forgetting to bring it with me to the range.

SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 4:59:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just pull the bolt all the way back, then pull and hold the trigger. Slowly release bolt.

Not all AK's will do this, not to mention that isn't very safe IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is a spent cartridge case.  I actually have one of those yellow plastic open bolt indicators, but I keep forgetting to bring it with me to the range.

ditto, I do the same thing.....I really don't see buying something that a dollar piece of plastic, or a spent case will do excatly the same thing, for a whole hell of a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Rather than making a comment on why this is a bad idea, or anything like that (which wasn't asked for, from what I can see...), allow me to say:

I think this is a cool idea.

At present, I don't have a desire for one, but by all means, continue the work and get them out and available for sale.  I'd bet that a lot of people would be interested in them.

Sure, it's not a last-round bolt hold-open, but it's better than nothing...
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
And yet another version....

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top