Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 7:45:28 AM EDT
Here in NY, a rifle mag can't hold more than 5 rounds to hunt legally with - so, with economy in mind, I took apart the 10 rnder that came with my SAR-1, and started looking at a way to limit it to 5 rnds... Although I'm sure there are many ways to accomplish it, this is what I came up with(with things I had around the house) - I took a piece of 3/8" wooden dowel, and cut it to a length of 2 and 3/16"... There's a little L shaped bracket on the underside of the mag base plate, I assume is there to limit the travel of the follower - after degreasing it, and the piece of dowel with some alcohol, I put a little epoxy on the bracket, and tiewrapped the two together, with the dowel standing straight up(perpendicular to the base plate)... This limits the 10rnd mag to a capacity of 5, and cost me a few minutes, and zero $$$... Thought some of you might find this interesting...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:45:42 AM EDT
Perhaps I am not fully understanding this rule, but couldn't you just load 5 rnds in to a 10rnd mag or is this asking too much trust from NY citizens.

i.e. Does the rule of 5 rnds in a hunting mag mean the magazine itself has to have a 5rnd capacity.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:17:44 AM EDT
Kuiper - Unfortunately, the state of NY is hardly a gun right's bastion... Actually, the rule reads as following:

"It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:

- with any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, except firearms using .22caliber rimfire ammunition, firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or autoloading pistols with a barrel legnth of less than eight inches..."

Of course, there are a bunch of other things one can't do while hunting in NY, but that's the law regarding this issue... FYI, it's illegal to use a semi-auto of ANY kind to hunt in Pennsylvannia...

And, no - the state of NY DOESN'T trust it's citizens, IMO...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:42:20 PM EDT
I see, thanks for clearing that up for me...still find it weird but a law is a law however stupid it may be...
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:43:10 PM EDT
I bought some 5 rounder for $2.99 a while back. I would have traded you a couple.

But you solved the problem the american way. You rigged it.

5 round in MD, too.
Top Top