Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/1/2003 12:27:13 PM EDT
I understand the AK is not a benchrest rifle, but I’m wondering how accurate is it really. I’m thinking along the lines of the SAR, MAK-90, SA 85M etc.

I know my to rifle could keep 30 rounds in an eight inch circle at 100-yards, but do they get any better than that?

What I’m after is this. Is the AK worthy of a scope or are am I just going to be seeing how bad I’m missing?

Thanks for your thoughts, J
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 12:38:17 PM EDT
More details in the ammo forum where some ammo tests are posted on top. 4moa is a good avg from rest, 4xscope, good trigger, groups of 5.
Smallbore AKs are closer to 2.5", and my Armalite is about 2" with 10cent commie ammo.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:57:02 PM EDT
I get 1.5" groups at 50 meters prone with reduced 100 meter targets with Barnaul FMJ ammo out of my FEG milled AK. My guess is the groups would open up to 3 to 4 inches at 100 meters. But I leave a lot of AR and SIG shooters with open mouths when my targets return..it's accurate enough. Plus I use this weapon mostly at tacrifle matches where the targets are usually at least bowling pin size, clay pigeons etc etc. I can hit what I aim at with open sights and expect it to get better once my aimpoint is sitting on the Ultimak I ordered.

I noticed that when I had the Kobra on the weapon my shooting improved significantly over open sights, but both with optical and iron sights I can manage myself.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:21:05 PM EDT
Got some trigger time today with my KTR Vepr in 7.62x39 and a 8x pso scope. Ran out of silverbear so I had to dip into a case of wolf hp. Stuff shot as good as good as the silverbear. Plunked down a nice 15 round group in about 2" at 100 yds. Raised a few eyebrows from a few guys sighting in there slug guns.

Not your run of the mill AK. Heavy barrel, beefy RPK receiver, along with being tweeked by Marc Krebs.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:25:48 PM EDT
My "Bulgarian" AK-74 groups between 1.75 and 2.25 inch groups at 100 yards from the bench (iron sights), my 74 is just as accurate as my AR-15. My Krebs 103K groups at 2-3 inches. My Chinese variants average at 4 inches, I can gain an inch or so (w/ my pre-ban) if I put my AK-103 style muzzle brake on the rifle. My AK's are more accurate than I will ever be, many ppl like to blame the rifle for their lack of skill.

I'm really needing an AK variant chambered in 223.

The Kollector
Top Top