Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/27/2003 12:42:08 PM EDT
I have the opportunity to buy a Norinco AK-74 84S, SN#405XXX.  The stamp on the side says it was imported by CSI LA CA USA.

I am an AR guy.  I know nothing of the AK family.  What should I be looking for to check this out?  About how much is it worth?  Is there such thing as pre-ban or post-ban AKs?

There is a stamp on the upper that has the same 4 last digits as the lower, so I believe the upper is the original to the lower.

Thanks is advance.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Norinco 84s 5.56 rifles average around $1000 (+ or - $200). They are pre-ban ('89) and should have all the "evil features" (pistol grip, threaded muzzle, bayonet lug). New in the box the rifle should be equipped with a sling, flash hider, (3) 30 round mags, cleaning kit, oil bottle, bayonet and manual.

The 84s isn't really an AK74 but simply a rechambered 56s which isn't a true AK47 or AKM since the Chinese never adopted the AKM stamped receiver pattern. Instead the Chinese ditched the original AK47 milled receiver and came up with their own (thicker) stamped receiver. Along with the thicker sheet metal the Chinese also used a different rivet pattern unique to their Kalishnikov family with the exception of their AK74 5.45x39 clone which uses the standard Soviet/Euro rivet pattern.

Regardless they are fine rifles. Mags tend to go for $25 and more but are still pretty easy to find. I have 2 post-ban NHM90 5.56 rifles which are nothing more than neutered pre-ban 84s rifles that were caught in Customs and made to be compliant with the 1989 ban. It's hard to pick a favorite but my Norinco .223's are right up there, accurate and reliable. They'll feed a variety of ammo and for jsut plain fun it's hard to beat the inexpensive Wolf.

As always, there is the possibility of the rifle being a converted post-ban. It should have an integral cleaning rod with unaltered bayonet lug. Since you mentioned AK74, I'm curious whether the rifle is marked as such? If so I'd say something is fishy (very fishy).If the rifle has MAK or NHM anywhere on the receiver or trunnion it's not a pre-ban and worth considerably less money.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no 'AK-74' stamped on the rifle anywhere.  I assumed it was one because of the caliber stamp.

This rifle does in fact have all the evil features, as well as a cleaning rod through the bayonet lug.

The wood has a few nicks, but the bluing is in good shape.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The Chinese wood (Chui sp?) is pretty soft and dings are common--especially if the owner shot the rifle while wearing a ring. Replacement stock sets aren't cheap but plenty available.www.polytechparts.com is an excellent resource for Chinese replacement parts (which BTW were banned from importation via Klinton). Most everything with the exception of the bolt interchanges with the 56s. Soviet/Euro stock sets can be easily modified to fit with a file.

If you can get the rifle for a good price I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:29:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, WildWes.

This rifle is without any mags.  Do you know of a good online source for mags?

I had this offered to me at a very reasonable price, so this may be my first AK rifle!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top