Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/25/2003 6:16:18 AM EDT
I'm new to AK's, so pardon this question if it seems like a waste of time for you guys.

What are the best mags for the Russian Izhmash? The gun is on its way to my FFL from SOG and I want to be all set up when it gets here. I ordered 30 rnd Bulgy waffles from K-var...and want to get more now that they are dirt cheap! I just want to make sure they will work before ordering a bunch of them.

If this belongs in the mag section, just move it, but I was hoping it would get more exposure here. I don't want to lose out on K-var's prices.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:25:46 AM EDT
To be honest,I've never had a problem with any AK mags that were not bent.Several years ago I got some from a friend that still had sand in them,one had bent feed lips and was the only one I had trouble with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:49:24 AM EDT
i haven't seen anything here in the forum about AK's being finicky or anything. Just wondering, though. Anybody else have issues?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:08:27 AM EDT
Tango any AK mag will work great.Unless its a USA copy .Any ,Chinese,Romanian,Hungarian,Russian,Bulgarian­, ect... You get the pic. I buy what cheapest.New mags for under $10 is what I look for.I did buy 10ea used mags from Tenn guns awhile back for $% ea to have some worn looking mags. They all function fine.Clean & Lube your rifle when you get it. Enjoy your rifle and congrads, WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:36:37 AM EDT
Yeah ak mags are tough. I have never had an issue with ANY ak mag since i've been shooting ak's (around 1989).
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:33:16 AM EDT
Check out www.aimsurplus.com for some classic Polish metal mags in as new condition. They are like $7 if you buy 10 or more. Really the only concern you need to worry about in regards to ak mags is - Do you have enough? There is also a guy on the EE selling Romanian 75 rd drums fo $55, I think. While theyre only practical for repelling Liberal hordes theyre one of those cool must haves that you dont really need.

PS. I have ordered from the guy on the EE and had great service. (He also has 40rd mad for $12ea, I think, if you buy 10)

Now start buying ammo by the 5K lot!
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:54:45 AM EDT
Can't beat the price of the waffle mags right now. I've 10 on the way, and have heard nothing but good things about them. Lots of people here love em.

And, like others said, any mag will work for the AK, and for regular steel mags, aimsurplus has the best prices.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 1:16:25 PM EDT
thanks guys. looks like i'm headed over to K-var and aim right now for some more mags!

4gma- you're right about the ammo. a bunch of guys at work have all ready called "dibs" on getting to shoot it when it comes in. I think 1k rounds won't be enough.

stay safe
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:18:52 PM EDT
Top Top