Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/19/2003 7:38:19 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me about their good/bad experiences with Krebs Custom Works?  I am considering getting them to install a AK-74 style brake on my SAR-1 and maybe get a refinishing job while it is up there.  

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I purchased a Krebs AK103K conversion from a board member here.   Its beautifully put together, and more accurate than an AK should be.  Have had ZERO problems with it.  Wouldnt hesitate to buy Krebs work again.  Having seen his 1911 work, he's truly a master.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Krebs AK-74M.  It's a beauty and single handedly made me leave the AR world behind for the time being.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Lumpy and AJjer, how would you rate the finish on your respective rifles?  I know the muzzle break looks good, but I have never encountered the finish of their guns up close.  Please let me know what you think.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Couldnt find a flaw on mine.  Holding up well...but then again, its pretty much a range gun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, thanks for the help!  With each positive comment, the urge to get my SAR-1 refinished rises.

I think it is a little pricey, but, obviously, I will be definitely getting a high-quality product.

If anyone else has any opinions on Krebs please throw in your two cents.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Wes from MSTN ownes two handguns, both from Krebs....nuff said

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah those sure do look good.

Man I wish I was 21!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I own a Krebs 103K, I am very pleased with their work and their customer service. I see a Krebs AK-103 and 101 in my future (as well as other models).

BTW, Those two 1911's are beautiful!

The Kollector

Here is a short review that I typed up a few months after my purchase...

Krebs AK-103K

Specs...

Caliber: M43 (7.62x39mm)
Operation: Gas operated rotating bolt
Weight: 6.5lbs unloaded
Barrel Length: 14 inch barrel w/ 2.5 inch permanently attached muzzle device
Twist Rate: 1:9.4 inches
Overall Length: About 34.50 inches

The AK-103K is a the short barreled version of the AK-103. The AK-103K like many other 100 series clones out there are converted into 100 series configuration using Saiga sporter rifles as the base of the project. The two main converters of the Saiga rifles are Krebs Custom and AK USA, both do excellent work and each have their loyal customers. The Saiga (Named after a type of Antelope which is found in some parts of Russia) rifles are manufactured at the IZHMASH factory in Izhevsk Russia, making them real Russian AK's. The conversion into 100 series configuration isn't easy and the basic process goes as following... cutting of barrel, removing gas block and replacing w/ a 90* gas block (in typical 100 series fashion), recrown, and threading of barrel, new fsb, moving the fcg forward so to allow for the pistol grip to fit in place, gas tube and piston replacement, modifiying the receiver to accept high cap mags etc. the US made parts on these rifles are gas piston, compensator, FCG, and the stock set. The muzzle device is drilled and welded in place so to keep the rifle legal. Fit and finish on these rifles is absolutly perfect, the highest of quality, the best AK variants that you can buy in this country.

Features...

The Saiga rifles are of very high quality and the Krebs conversion of the rifle into 100 series style configuration is extremely well done. The stamped Saiga receiver (the oval shaped dimples above the mag well are not present on the Saiga receivers) has a scope rail mounted on the left side of the receiver. The barrel and chamber are both chrome lined. The Max. range marked on the rear sight is 300 meters, I find that this doesn't look good but it is practical as the 7.62x39mm round isn't very well known for its accuracy potential at longer ranges, the round was designed for short-semi medium ranges not med-long range precision shooting. The stock sets on these rifles are US made copies of the AK-100 series sets (black polymer, LHG w/ inner reinforced metal heat shield and outter cooling grooves, checkered pistol grip, straight butt w/ side flutes and inner compartment at the rear for a cleaning kit.). The rifle has a baked on matte black enamel finish, all the cool Russian markings on the receiver and everything! Made at the IZHMASH factory, converted in the US!

The compensator found on this rifle is a US made exact copy of the AK-100 series device, the AK-100 series device is simply a modernized version of the AK-74 muzzle device. The AK-74 series muzzle devices are extremely effective at reducing muzzle climb and felt recoil, making accurate rapid fire shooting very easy. The well manufactured parts on this rifle and the muzzle device that is fitted on the 100 series rifles are what make them so much more accurate than all of the others.

My second range session w/ my new toy...

Finally had a day off today, so me and a buddy went to the range, brought my Norinco and my 103K and the last 250 rds of the Yugoslavian 762 that I had. My buddy brought his Maadi/Steyr ARM w/ the ever so wonderful ammo can o' Wolf. We started w/ 100 yard shots from the bench, I was nailing down 2.5 inch groups consistently w/ my Krebs 103K (side note, this rifle has a 14 inch bbl w/ a permanently attached 2.5 inch AK-74 style compensator) and about 4 inch groups w/ my Norinco 56s clone. My buddy was getting about the same as my Norinco w/ his Maadi but just a taste better. Next we went on to shooting in various different positions, prone, sitting, and kneeling, at various ranges we had set up bowling pins to shoot at. For this we retired both my Norinco and his Maadi and just worked my 103K, this was a lot of fun, we were consistently hammering pins down at 50, 75, and 100 yards. The next move was our ceremonial rapid fire session, for this we both loaded up 75rd drum mags and went to work!

The Krebs AK-103K is one mean package, an extremeIy well made firearm, short, accurate and pretty. The Krebs conversion into the 103 style configuration is very tight, they do some of the best work I've ever seen. I am more than pleased w/ my rifle, it is everything that I could ever ask for and then some. I suggest everyone to save some bucks, and buy one! They're worth every penny! If you want something special, he will do anything you ask. Excellent service and an excellent product. Next on the list is a Krebs AK-101! There is NOTHING better than a high quality Kalashnikov!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
If anyone remembers the American Handgunner cover from years ago with a custom Krebs 1911 in .40S&W, it originated the "snake skin" texture that Ed Brown is selling.  It was hardchrome and possibly the most beautiful handgun I have ever seen.  You cant achieve "art" in gunsmith and not have some skills.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 12:52:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Krebs AK74 type muzzle brake on my AK, Mounting bushing that came with it is made very nicely and so is the brake. It came with a nice deep blued finish and works like a charm.

I hear AK103.com is good also.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Why don't you install it yourself, save yourself time and money.

You can get the ak74 brake from almost any gun website.

All you need is a drill/drill-bit and a rubber mallet to knock the brake onto the barrel since its not threaded.  Gets some lock-tite glue to secure the screws and your set!

Its an SAR1 for crying out loud, refinishing it? Where you taking it, to Cinderellas Ball? LOL!

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
No, I am not taking it to the ball....  

But I have had it a few years and it is pretty dinged up.  Most of the finish has worn off and I mostly would just like to have it re-done.

I would install the brake myself but I am not a gunsmith and am not very dexterous.  Plus, I would rather them install it....that way I know I didn't screw anything up!  
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't had the good fortune to buy anything from Krebs yet but I have visited his shop & shot a few of his rifles. Marc is a really great guy. Was able to sit with him watch him work, man do they turn out some beauties!

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The finish is good, but it is technically a paint, so don't rub it too hard or it will "polish" I found this out the hard way. It didn't matter much though because I was wanting a more appropriate "satin-black" finish on it anyway, so now it has a wonderful John Norrell Arms Moly-Resin semi-gloss finish.  It's also got Russian laminate furniture.  

Get the Krebs peep sight installed, it's really a great improvement.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 1:03:37 AM EDT
[#15]
My krebs ak74.  I love it, and have had nothing but pleasurable experiences with them.  I may change the krebs brake to a global trades brake....only because the early style global brake is historically more correct with the wood furniture than is the 74m style brake thats on there.  Can't remember if I've ever seen a 74m style brake on a 74 with wood furniture.  If anyone has let me know and I won't change it :).

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 2:56:07 AM EDT
[#16]
That's a beautifull AK......very nice stockset on there..
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine looks almost exactly like that!  (above pictured AK-74)  

The only difference would be the "blacker" glossier Molyresin finish.  

I really need a good digi cam.

Wait.. is that Molyresin on yours?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My krebs ak74.  I love it, and have had nothing but pleasurable experiences with them.  I may change the krebs brake to a global trades brake....only because the early style global brake is historically more correct with the wood furniture than is the 74m style brake thats on there.  Can't remember if I've ever seen a 74m style brake on a 74 with wood furniture.  If anyone has let me know and I won't change it :).

www.dayofdefeat.com/kell/krebs74.jpg

That's a nice looking AK you have there!  May I ask where you got the furniture?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#19]
First set I got was from Andrei in Russia, Andyarts at eBay or Ruseller.  Then a fella named Stottman, he's around here and gunsnet, in Germany listed this set.  It was a bit better than Andreis and it was a tad lighter in color, showing more pattern....so I sold the darker set and bought Stottmans.  He lists stuff from time to time on both boards.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top