Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/11/2003 7:41:07 PM EDT
Which is the better cheap blaster? I have an opportunity to pick these for about $300 a piece. Since I know nothing about AK types, which is the better choice and why.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:53:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2003 7:55:49 PM EDT by mg34ss]
Sight unseen, it's not really possible to tell you which would be better for you. I have a SAR-3. It seems accurate as most AK's, I haven't formaly checked out it's paper punching ability. Fit and finish are OK for a mass produced gun but not up to Russian, Polish, and Chinese standards. I also have a Maddi. It's finish sucks and the workmanship is crude. It's my pick-up truck gun. Sits behind the seat in the dirt and such. Don't have a case for it. I did finally take it to the range to see how it would do. It's the most accurate AK I own! And the ugliest. Go figure. After 1300 plus posts, I figure you'd have an oppinion by now though!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:02:11 AM EDT
Assuming both guns function fine and sights are straight, I would choose the SAR-1 over the Maadi. Finish-wise, it's not even close. My SAR-1 runs rings around my MISR S/A. Also, the SAR-1 has a rail installed which will come in handy should you decide to add any optics in the future.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:38:50 AM EDT
QC and build issues are occasionally spotty on both, but the SAR wins strongly for the side rail optics mount which I have yet to see on a Maadi.
Smoked the handguards several times on my SAR1 and still can get some 4" groups of 5 at 100 with it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:12:30 AM EDT
It all depends on what model of Maadi you are talking about,if its an ARM I'd go for it.If its a MISR 10,I'd definately go with the SAR-1.As stated above,the SAR comes with the scope rail already installed.Maadi's do have a crude finish but its extremely durable and will weather moisture MUCH better than park.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:49:35 AM EDT
SAR's are blued and not parked.

Maddi's are epoxy over park.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:32:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2003 1:34:47 PM EDT by tk421]
I had a MAADI with a Dragunov style synthetic stock. I sold it and bought a SAR-1 with the money. And every time I hear anyone talk about how the MAADI is better than the SAR, I laugh.

Trigger slap? Yep. That Egyptian POS had awful slap. I could only take about one mag before I had to lay it down and shoot something that DIDNT hurt to fire.

Accuracy? What accuracy? It sucked. Improved after I took the brake off, but it still sucked.

It also liked to NOT chamber hollowpoints. They'd get caught up. Also, sometimes the bolt would get caught up on the edge of the chamber and you couldnt get it to go home for anything. Had to pull it to the rear and HOPE that it went into battery, and there goes a live round on the ground. After picking up almost a full mag worth of live ammo I wanted to throw the damn thing in the pond.

I now have 2 SAR-1's, and neither has trigger slap, or canted sights. Both are about as accurate as an AK can be with iron sights.

My vote goes toward the SAR, and I dont give a damn about scope rails. IMO, the SAR is much, MUCH better.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:07:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/14/2003 2:00:23 PM EDT by JOHNO]
Like I said,it all depends on what model Maadi you are talking about.The finish on my 2003 SAR1 is either a black park or a rough blue.
Top Top