Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/10/2003 6:04:42 AM EDT
I saw a show on discovery it showed a guy from some tribe in aferica cleaning his ak for a war with another tribe with tree leafs an animal fat for grease holly s#$% it worked i need one. what is the best one to get for home defense and what country any info would help i have built meny home defense toys. and should learn fast so not to be to much of a bug thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the Dark Side!There are many good AKs on the market these days,depending on how much you want to spend.For the money,it's hard to beat the Romanian SAR1.Some SAR1's are shipped with a canted front sight base and or a canted gas block,try to hand pick one if you can.If you do end up with a canted AK,it can be fixed.Ammo and mags are readily avaliable and Russian Optics are Great.Good luck,check out the forums.There is alot of good helpful info in the sub catagories [Romanian,Chineese,Egyptian...]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd shop around first before picking up an inexpensive SAR1.   You will notice the difference right away between a SAR and a decent AK.  Im not saying that the SAR is bad but you can buy a better AK for a little more cash and you will be happy.  :)

As far a cleaning and oiling an AK with animal fat....yuck!!! No wonder there are so many flies, you need insect repelent for your AK too!

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#3]
You can spend $600 on a prettier and smoother AK but it will not shoot much better than a $300 SAR which you can always sell for little loss if you upgrade later. SAR QC gets better every year, make sure the side rail sight mount is very close to parallel to the bore as well.
Just pick a caliber.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#4]
After oiling with Animal fat,you can just imagine the retched smell after going through a couple mags!
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I would guess,now that they are leaving the drag stocks that there are no US parts.Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Century is also starting to ship their CETMEs with cut and recrowned muzzles instead of their brakes. I suspect a strong concern about future BATF interpretation is at play more than minor cost variances in configuration parts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#8]

After oiling with Animal fat,you can just imagine the retched smell after going through a couple mags!

Oh, I dont know, it might smell like a batch of McDonalds french fries!
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Century is also starting to ship their CETMEs with cut and recrowned muzzles instead of their brakes. I suspect a strong concern about future BATF interpretation is at play more than minor cost variances in configuration parts.

No I bet they got tired of major whole salers sending loads of inventory back because the pins from the muzzle brakes were protruding into the barrel. So now they reworked them and are calling them new.

I almost bought a Cetme till I noticed that little problem I described above. Bought a Sar1 instead. Couldn't be more happy! Have added all sorts of fun stuff to it.

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]
i would get an sar-1 from aim surplus, its 309 dollars + 10 dollars for hand select. i think this would be a good starter ak.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
THE SKY IS FALLING!

Seriously, I will say it AGAIN. SARs are now going to have crappy Dragunov style stocks. If you do not have one, GET AN SAR-1 AND SAR-2 NOW!

i agree with you aimless, it does indeed seem to be falling.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You can spend $600 on a prettier and smoother AK but it will not shoot much better than a $300 SAR which you can always sell for little loss if you upgrade later. SAR QC gets better every year, make sure the side rail sight mount is very close to parallel to the bore as well.
Just pick a caliber.

Sight mount? Is that what that thing is? I had been thinking about starting a thread on that. Is there a website/pics somewhere of what sights attach to it and how?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Spend some time here and learn all you can about the different weapons while keeping your eyes open to god deals.

Quoted:
I'd shop around first...

My advice too.

I picked up a nice Hungarian SA 85M at the last big Portland show for $410, came with four 30 round mags.

Best regards, T

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just pick a caliber.

Sight mount? Is that what that thing is? I had been thinking about starting a thread on that. Is there a website/pics somewhere of what sights attach to it and how?

www.freedomoptics.com/Comersus/store/comersus_dynamicIndex.asp Slide the brackets over, throw the clamp lever.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They got in trouble because the brakes they had were 22mm and thus a grenade launcher as defined by the 94 awb.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top