Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/6/2003 4:37:13 PM EDT
after doing a lot of research on both the ak amd m16 plus their ammo it seems to me that the galil is really the best assault rifle... why?
it combines the reliability of the ak plus the milled reciever for increased accuracy and the full auto controlability of the .223(5.56mm) round, and it's deadly frangeability. The only problem is  I've never fired nor seen one used so all my theory is just that, theory. the reason why I think that the galil never became the worlds assault rifle was because it was israeli and the U.S. would stick bullheadedly to it's homegrown design as would the russians. so if anyone knows the performance of the galil maybe they could throw in their 2 cents headbang.gif as a substitute galil it seems a .223 cal. milled ak from arsenal would also be good.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Inherently more reliable than a AR.

Better sights than an AK.

But......TOO HEAVY!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]
what about the sig551? those are pretty awesome rifles.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The Israelis didn't like them because they were too heavy.  I think the better choice is the Finnish Valmet.
http://world.guns.ru/assault/valmet_76_223.jpg
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Dr. Zim, so what are the odds we'll get both the rifle and mags after the AWB sunsets?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:45:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Until you have "racked" the bolt carrier on a Galil.....you will never understand.  My Bulgarian milled SLR-95 runs a close second to the smooth action of the Galil....

If you ever run across a postban IMI receiver (imported by NHM).....BUY IT!!  Then purchase a Galil kit and have it assembled.  You won't regret it.

Take care,

KF
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:38:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the galil is overweight. way overweight.

imo, the best assault rifle ever made is the ak-74.

Start lifting weights.....build up those forearms!!!!

Galil Baby !!!! GALILLLLLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#9]
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as32-e.htm

Very nice as I recall...but it's been a while.

My DR-200 would be the heat if it had a heavy barrel.....
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I have seen a Galil used at the range.  Never held one in my hand but from my observation, it looked like the Galil has a built in bi-pod located inside the front hand grip. Was I seeing things?  The front hand grip was kind of boxy looking which to my taste was a visual turnoff.  It looked heavy to my observation.

I like the AK74 and it is an excellent assault rifle, but it doesn't have the punch that an AK47 has.  

I have shot thru railroad tracks (3" of steel)  with my AK47 at very close range (of course I was well protected behind a wall pulling on a wire attached to my trigger when I did it). :)

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#12]
No, Guns4u up in Baker in early '96
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:00:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Back in the mid-80s I participated in alot of recon patrols for a Govt Agency in a mountainous,rain forest region.On most occasions,I carried a Colt Commando [short M-16 with 11.5 in bbl].A few times I carried a folding stocked AK,once on a three day patrol a Galil ARM and on another three day patrol an M-14.The Galil and the M-14 were HEAVY but held up well in the environment,the Galil is a very good weapon but the weight factor is a problem.I preferred the AK even over the Colt,at the time,I judged a weapon by weight,reliability and least maintenence.The AK always worked.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I suppose when hell freezes over then we might see a galil receiver on the market again. Maybe then I can get my micro kit built.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I suppose when hell freezes over then we might see a galil receiver on the market again. Maybe then I can get my micro kit built.

Keep watching for someone to give up on their Galil project, and dump one of the IMI receivers on the market......it can happen!

I saw three of these for sale awhile back on one of the gunboards.....

KF

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No, Guns4u up in Baker in early '96

Pave, nice avatar.  Hey I bought my 1st gun from that guy at Guns4U when I was in the AF.  It was up on 4-Wheel Drive rd. right?

Ooops, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#17]
yup,

yes, it is....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top