Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/5/2003 11:53:59 AM EDT
I've been reading all of the controversy over attaching an ak-74 Muzzle Brake to an SAR-2. I want to do it because I like the look. I would like some suggestions on where to buy the actual muzzle brake. Close up pictures of your installed brake would be nice also.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
What's the so-calleed controversy of the AK-74 muzzle break on a SAR-2? I was thinking of doing this myself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought mine at Krebs Custom w/ adapter.....they build the latest version and apart from looking real good it does work very nice too. Especially when rapid firing your weapon..

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
To use the "actual" AK-74 brake you need to swap out your front sight assembly for an "actual" '74 sight unit as well.

The male threads are on the front sight tower assembly, not the barrel.  It will require some minor WECSOG to remove the old sight group and swap in the new.

Try KVAR, they list them, but they're often out of stock, and remember you'll need both pieces. For a SAR-2 you'll need to order Romanian for both parts.

The conversion to real '74 brake is controversial because the '74 brake uses a size and type of threads unlike any other muzzle device or flashhider, therefore many people have the opinion that it is not necessary to pin or weld the brake (since a banned muzzle device could not be mounted).  Some people are also concerned about the legality of adding an additional imported part on a "parts count" rifle.

The real deal military sight and brake conversion is by far the best, and coolest way to brake these rifles.  If you wait 'till next year and the AW ban goes away, I believe you can install the front sight with bayonet lug intact (cool!) otherwise it will need to be neutered.

There are detailed instructions readily available on the net to complete the minor gunsmith work needed for the conversion.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#4]
The brake I bought from Krebs is US made and so is the adapter ring to mount it on 14mm threads..

Not sure if a US made muzzlebrake counts as essential US made part, but if so you could consider it. Or got the way Rabid_Coyote pointed and try to keep it 100% original. Both ways work...
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#5]
My SAR is happy with the bits from ak-103.com, $50.50 delivered. Snug the muzzle adaptor on the bbl down to the fsb, spin the brake on, weld the back of this assembly to the fsb. Parts come unfinished; I suggest park and paint.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Jason at investmentgradefirearms is offering 22mm adapters for $29. You can order it with internal threads or with smooth bore to place on your SAR barrel. This are ready for immediate shipment. The smooth bore can be pressed onto your barrel and tack welded to the FSB.

He has in the works a Compensater for the '74 in 22mm.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got an FAQ over on the Romanian board.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top