Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/3/2003 1:37:03 PM EDT
So if you were having a kit built by a custom builder - say ORF, Inrange or someone with a similar reputation on this board, what would you expect to get for your hard earned $$?

Would you expect a durable finish?  Say one that did not arrive with places/areas of the KG gun coat flaking off from 'test firing'?

Would you expect the FS to be aligned/suficiently(sp) straight so as to be able to hit an IDPA target at 20 yards?  Is a weapon that hits 8 inchs low and 12 left from the builder acceptable in your eyes?

I recently received a build from a well known builder that posts often on this board.  I have yet to hear/read a complaint.  In fact the transaction, quoted ship times, pics, etc all went great.  However, I am very disappointed in the final product.

In builder X's defense, I have not been able to get ahold of him yet so I dont know how/what he's going to do to make it right but I'm fairly pissed with what I have ended up with.  When you spend more than the cost of 2 SARs, 40 mags and 1K of ammo for a rifle, I dont think its unreasonable to expect it to shoot close to point of impact and have the finish last past test firing.

I just want to know if this what any of you that have had kit builds done have found to be the norm.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Nah, definitely not acceptable, but give him/her a chance to make it right.  For the prices of a custom rifle and attention paid to the build, you should expect something finer than a quality import.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Just went to the range today, fired my 2 AK's that I got about 2 weeks ago from Inrange, fired about 200 rounds from the AK74 and about 300 rounds thru my 47, both fired flawlessly. In fact as soon as I can upload pics this weekend you can see. I had a chance to see Inrange's stuff at Knob Creek in April and you can tell the difference with a custom build.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive had a chance to fondle some of Troy's work as well and it is certainly well done.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, that really sucks. I'd be plenty pissed for sure.
What did you have built?
Hope it all works out okay. Definitely let us know...
Troy Sellars called yesterday to tell me that my Krink is ready so I'll be getting that back soon. Planning an SBR Krink folder in the near future now. Plenty excited about that.

How's Oklahoma and the new job treating ya doc?
We had snow in late September and it's been raining almost everyday for a month. Sick of it for sure. Been having a real run of dental pain drug seekers lately as well, "I wants my Vicodin." LOL.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#5]
4gma, I just had exactly the same thing happen! The build quality overall blew me away, I never guessed an AK could look or handle as well as my ORF built 74 does. When I took it out to the range the groups were great, at 100 yards they were about softball sized. They were also a foot low a two feet to the left.

I busted a Chinese AK sight tool trying to adjust the elevation. That front sight wasn’t moving. Cranking the front sight all the way to the left corrected the windage, but it makes for a very odd sight picture.

I shot Todd an email and without hesitation, he told me to send it in so they could correct the canted sight and elevation issue. This was just last week so I haven’t gotten it back yet but I will post an update when it arrives.

I don’t know who your builder is, but if they have a solid reputation, I am certain they will do the right thing and correct the problem.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I spoke to the builder today.  I told him my concerns and he asked what I wanted done to fix it.  I said fix the FSB and refinish and he said no problem just send it back - no whining/bitching/excuses.  It took longer for me to type this than it did for our conversation.  So back it goes Monday and hopefully, its just one of those, 'nobody's perfect/everybody makes mistakes' type experiences.  I guess I know when I get it back.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top