Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2003 2:44:39 PM EDT
I will be picking up my 1st AK, an SAR-1 sometime in the next week or so. The gun shop offers laminated or unlaminated stocks, and I was wondering what the pros and cons of each would be. Any thoughts would definitely be appreciated, so thanks in advance. Eamonn
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't think of any con to a laminated stock, other than they are very slightly more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
laminated stocks are slightly heavier, but i think they look better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both and prefer the laminated.  The other looked bad and I wound up restaining and coating it with urethane.

The nice one came from AIM.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Laminated SHOULD be a lot stronger due to the varied grain pattern between the layers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Laminated stock sets on AKs weather much better than regular wood.I've seen wood stocks swell and warp in tropical environments.And the laminated SAR1 stock sets look good with a few good coats of Tru oil.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:48:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Like Devils Advocate said, the laminated stocks should be stronger.

Mine had a nice pattern, but looked crappy when I get mine, I re-did them. Pics here
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
edited because I looked closer at the other thread.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top