Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/21/2003 4:17:20 PM EDT

Elevation dial is all the way to the bottom of the mechanical stop, but I'm still shooting 6" high at 100 yds. First original shots were at least 4 feet over my target. I spun and spun and spun....and then she stopped for good.

As you probably guessed, I was shooting a SAR. (SAR-2, to be exact). Side rail is crooked- slopes down towards the bore. Century strikes again!

Too bad, the groups were nice and tight...
Oh Well, back to irons. I do have a nice paper weight, though.

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll give you $50 for it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't tell from your post if you took the wheel off and reset to zero..if not, these instructions might help.

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/kobrazer.html
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I followed the instructions. But instead of taking of the wheel, I backed off the offset screw, (which acts as the stop for the detent) and allows one to go round and round like a conventional turret. I still don't know why the Russians designed the "stop" - There is no need for it. I was actually suprised there wasn't more elevation adjustment. Other than getting the side rail fixed (probably, expensive) I'm pretty much screwed. No way is it going back to Century. It would surely come back in worse condition. In fact, I've severed all ties to Century.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, it was worth a try.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:05:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#6]

I just measured the difference between the front and back of the side rail- from the top of the receiver to the top of the rail.

Back of rail (closest to buttstock) was .430

Front of rail was .462

So, the rail is tilted down only .032 of an inch. That doesn't seem that bad to me. I wonder if there is a chance the Kobra itself is out of alignment?  And if the rail is tilted down, that would cause shots to go high?

Just trying to sort this out before I sent it out to a gunsmith.

Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Just trying to weed out variables; which reticle are you using? Only the dot is really at center. The chevron is below it on either reticle choice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#8]

I was using the dot only...set to the smallest size that I could clearly see under overcast conditions.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Mach1, please check your e-mail.

Based on my rough estimate, .032 inch drop over the length of the mounting rail translates into about 3 feet overshot at 100 yards.  Another possible problem is that the rail should be aligned with the barrel and not necessarily with the top of the receiver.  The receiver may itself be misaligned with the barrel, in which case the mounting rail misalignment error would be compounded.

The best way to troubleshoot the problem would be to try the Kobra on another AK.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, Kalibr.

Received yor E-mail. I beleive you hit the nail on the head...the rail isn't aligned with the bore, regardless of it's location on the receiver. Your estimate of three feet over at 100yds is damn close. It might have been even more (it's hard to estimate when the bullet is hitting nothing but dirt!) I think it would be a waste of time for us both if I sent the sight back; I'm sure it's working correctly. But, thanks for the offer.

I think I'll try CAMPYBOB's suggestion and try and get the rail remounted. This is beyond my abilities, so could anybody recommend a good AK gunsmith?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#11]
 Good luck with your optic rail.  Got one here that does the same thing, would be interested to hear how your fix turns out.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top