BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/20/2003 5:39:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:48:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Ken,

I've heard they are short on AKs for the new army.....

Don't know if you are being pranked or not.

Keep us posted....I want to see how this plays out....

Troy
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting. Looks as if someone has a great start to a KICKASS group buy. Where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Thus the short supply on SR-1s and the Romanian realization that our government is a better customer than Century.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw pics online somewere of our troops loading many many truck loads of New in Cosmo AK's now they are gonna waste our money buying new ones cause the "old ones are out of date", Just cause they don't have synthetic stocks on them they are gonna build new ones....What a crock of shit!!!!

They whant NEW AK's send us all one of their OLD AK's and we will all send them a NEW AK...I could think of no better way to spend tax-payer dollars than this, If this approach is not possible, then make due with what they have....

If we would have nuke Iraq things would be soooo much easier!!!JMHO
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure the new ak's will have something to distiguish them as being 'A gift from the United states of america'.  Probably a 'special' serial number of some sort.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe you should forward a copy to the gooch?
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#10]
did you check out al-hajar.com?

It's a new web site. Nothing there.

sometihng stinks in smellville....

IF it were someone pursuing a military ocntract... don't you tihnk it might come form a .MIL address?

i would be suspicious....
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if part of the reason for requiring new AK's and not using the old ones are due to serial numbering, etc?

Mayhaps someone wants to get a handle on these things, and know what is out there, and where it is?  Yay gun control, you know?

Dunno - just a thought.  I'd expect it would be easier to catalog a whole bunch of new AK's with sequential serial numbers that come in labeled crates direct from the manufacturer, rather than attempt to log all the various models and serial numbers (or lack thereof?) of the old weapons...

Or I'm just a paranoid conspiracy theorist...
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I would venture to guess, that given the price of AK rifles when bought in bulk on the world market, that it is far cheaper to buy 50,000 rifles than to sort through the zillions of rifles from every corner of the globe that are littering Iraq. IN any DECENT military uniformity is a must, having men equipped with a motley assortment of weapons in all different configurations makes for a logistical nightmare. every armorer would have to keep parts for each variation assigned to his unit, the depots would have to keep large amounts of parts for each variation. I will be the first to agree that for the most part an Ak is an AK and that the parts with minor fitting are mostly universal, and that is fine for us gun show warriors who only have to fight hordes of pie plates and steel targets, but in a military situation you cannot assume that every unit armorer is capable of properly fitting parts, or even being able to make basic repairs without the aid of manuals with lots of pictures. In a military situation it is not acceptable to send your rifle out to a good smith for months because his work is the most artful, you just need a wepon that works the way it is supposed to. I am sure that many of the rifles that were already in Iraq were in great shape and will eventually be put to good use, but the time it will take to inspect reapir and catalog these rifles would probably take alot more time and money than just buying a butt load of Romanians, that are made to order and all in a standard configuration. There are training issues to deal with when selecting a rifle to equip your troops, it is much easier to teach 60 men to properly use thier weapon if they are all using the exact same rifle (I can just imagine being back at basic and the drills having to give seperate blocks of instruction for those with triangular habdgaurds, round handgaurds, vertical foregrips, A1 sites, A2 sites and optics all on the same range on the same day just to get everybody zeroed). These may seem like trivial matters but they are not. There are many reasons that our trrops are second to none, mainly the training and motivation, but I assure you that as raggedy as the weapons I guys carry may look, they are uniform throught the unit to at least the battalion level, our guys seldom feel the need or desire to utilize battle field pickups (except in the stories of fake SEALs and wannabe Green Berets, where it seemas to be a favorite activity, because everybody knows that the most elite soldiers in the world regularly jump from moving planes into hostile enviorments carrying weapons that are so crappy that they are discarded at the first sight of a rusty SKS that the local yocal they just killed with thier genuine imitation Rambo III survival knife).

No doubt that Email has a strange smell to it, I would be very cautious. Unless you are able to deliver 50,000 rifles with accesories to bahgdad within the next two weeks I doubt that you have to be to concerned anyway.

As far as the serial numbers, I am sure some where in Iraq there is somebody who is smart enough to buy an electric pencil from Century, of course to do it in Century style they would probably have trouble finding enough angry beavers to run the engraver.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:50:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:00:43 AM EDT
[#15]
... Off the top of my head, formal RFQ's are usually scrutinized and reviewed my multiple sets of eyes. Seldom having as many spelling errors as this document. Are you sure Toad isn't playing a joke on you?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top