Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/16/2003 10:26:00 AM EDT
Hi all!  Have a few questions regarding a preban Norinco 56S I picked up recently.  I was considering putting a laminated AKM stock set on it - is there much fitting involved?  I thought I'd like the look better and the contour is a bit different than the Chinese wood.  Also, looking for some mags/drums for it as well - what does everyone recommend as far as drums?  Chinese or Soviet bloc?   How about mags?  What's good at a decent deal these days?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I can answer one question regarding mags and drums.

Pretty much any mag will do with an AK, unlike AR's.  They're pretty much all the same quality and all will work well.

With drums, either type will do.  The only difference between the Chinese and the soviets is that the Chinese loads from the rear and can be stored with the ammo inside, as there is a lever you wind-up on the back to put on spring tension.  Average price for one of these is $100

The soviets (or romy) drums load one at a time from the top, and shouldn't be stored very long with the ammo inside, because it always has spring tension unlike the wind-up chinese.  Average price for one of these is $75.

As far as a source for magazines and drums, contact RONIN45 on the EE board.  He's selling 40 round mags real cheap and 75 round niw Romy drums for $55 + $4 shipping.  This is the best price for drums anywhere.  Don't expect an instant response from him though, he's not a dealer and is real busy with other stuff, but he will get to you.  His prices are worth the wait.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As far as a source for magazines and drums, contact RONIN45 on the EE board.  He's selling 40 round mags real cheap and 75 round niw Romy drums for $55 + $4 shipping.  This is the best price for drums anywhere.  Don't expect an instant response from him though, he's not a dealer and is real busy with other stuff, but he will get to you.  His prices are worth the wait.

I second that!  It took about a week for RONIN45 to check his mail and answer my query, then exactly a week for me to mail a money order and receive two drums in 100% condition, sealed in bags with lubricant.  Well worth the wait, which is just about as long at standard surplus dealers, in my experience.

I looked long and hard for Chinese drums and couldn't find any for less than $150, or three times what RONIN45 is selling his for.  It is a PITA to load one of the Russian drums (just tiring on your thumb), but on the other hand, the price difference is another 1000 rounds of 7.62 for me to shoot!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
YOu can certainly use an European AKM stock set, but it will need to be fitted.  The rear trunnion on a Chinese rifle is narrower than the European ones, so a little shaving of wood is going to be required.  

The two screws at the rear trunnion also won't mate perfectly.  The one that is exposed works great, lines up fine, but the one that is under the dustcover won't line up.  You'll either need to redrill the hole in the stock to match, or just not worry about it.  The stocks that I've put on Chinese rifles fit tightly enough that one screw held it on fine.

The front handguard will need a little fitting also.

Don't let this discourage you though.  Hell, I am not very mechanically inclined and I got it to work with very little trouble.

You're right, it does fit and look much better than the Chinese wood does, at least to my eyes.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top