Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/16/2003 7:18:24 AM EDT
I am trying to get Global Trades to sell a 1/2x28 to 22mm adapter to fit the SAR 2s. The 14mm adapter is too large in diameter to fit and the only other option out the I believe is a set screw variant. I posted this on the other AK forum but those dumbasses tell me that Global already sell this which they don't and please don't make me go through the part numbers again. If we get enough people to tell Jimmy at Global they want this option, then it should happen. It's the next best thing out there besides the Romanian threaded front sight base and those are unavailable for purchase.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:25:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2003 7:26:29 AM EDT by WildWes]
Stupid question:

O.K., after screwing the adapter on the threaded muzzle it's held in place by the detent pin on the fsb. What holds the brake in the correct posistion?

(just going from the pictures I've seen of the adapters)
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:54:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2003 7:57:33 AM EDT by jimtash9]
The adapter can be loc-tited on if you wish but should'nt be needed. The adapter screws onto the barrel and holds the plunger pin in place. The muzzle brake screws onto the adapter and is held in place by the plunger pin. Once the muzzle brake is locked into place by the plunger pin, the adapter will not unscrew off because it is held into place by the muzzle brake. Simple.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:05:29 AM EDT
Trying to figure this out. The 1/2x28 threads would be an evil assault rifle feature that couldn't be accessible. The 22mm Romanian threads are not evil according to ATFE. So how do you mount the adapter so that the evil threads are not accessible, just the 22mm ones?

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS
WASHINGTON, DC 20226

OCT 19 2000

903050:GKD
3311/O-697

Dear Mr. Bardwell:

This refers to your letter of June 29, 2000, asking if the
externally threaded front sight base of Romanian manufactured AK-74
rifles would be considered to be a "threaded barrel designed to
accommodate a flash suppressor." You state in your letter that the
threading on the Romanian front sight base is unlike that of AK-74
rifles manufactured in other countries. You further state that, to
the best of your knowledge, the Romanian producers did not
manufacture a flash suppressor for their AK-74 rifles.

If there are no flash suppressors manufactured having a threading
compatible with the Romanian AK-74 muzzle threading, then it
follows that the described rifle would not have a "threaded barrel
designed to accommodate a flash suppressor." However, should a
flash suppressor become available in the future that has a
threading compatible with the Romanian front sight base threading,
then the rifle would be considered to have a threaded barrel
designed to accommodate a flash suppressor.

We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry.
If we can be of any further assistance, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]
Curtis H.A. Bartlett
Acting Chief, Firearms Technology Branch
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:15:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2003 8:23:59 AM EDT by jimtash9]
Once the adapter is threaded on, none of the 1x28 threads will be exposed. You are only using the 1/2x28 threads to attach the adapter on, not AR-15 flash suppresors. You will want the front of the adapter to line up with the front of the muzzle just as the original Romanian front sight base does. Go to the K-Var website and look at the pictures of their threaded front sight bases. The adapter will look exactly like that but instead of being part of the front sight base, it will just thread onto the end of the barrel. I must also mention that the adapter must be welded on to be legal. Sorry for not stating that earlier.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:49:33 AM EDT
Check with Chris @ AK USA. He sells several similar adapters, and if you get enough people, he might be willing to make a run of them.

http://www.ak-103.com/

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:53:13 AM EDT
The adapter will still have to be permanently attached to the barrel to be legal. Either high temp solder or pinned and welded.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:34:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2003 10:18:58 AM EDT by 300ydClean]
Whats the big deal with having it in 22mm to begin with? The ONLY reason that I got one was because I had a 22mm brake laying around that I had gotten for free.

Get one in 1/2 28 X 24mm attach a 74 brake and be done with it.

Unless you are just positively determined to have the ultra cool bare threaded 22mm muzzle on your rifle to astound all your friends and neighbors with, what is the point?

Oh, and by the way, THOSE DUMBASSES at the other site were correct, Global already offers the part that you want, and have it listed plainly on their web site.

That is unless my 1/2x28 die somehow mysteriously threads 14mm LH, OR Global anticipated my foolishness and sent me an adapter that morphs itself to any known thread pattern SAE or metric.

Call them on the phone, and they will send you one just like they did me.

Chuck

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:23:39 AM EDT
The part A-639 is the only adapter in 1/2x28 and it only works with the 24mm 74 brakes. The key issue with the (Romanian) 22mm brakes is they don't have to be permenently attached. Global offers the US made version for parts count concerns.

I wasn't sure if the adapters left enough of the detent pin exposed to hold the brake in place. Anybody got a pic?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:30:00 PM EDT
The adapter IS what holds the dentent in place and keeps it from falling out. And if Global sold a 1x28 to 22mm adapter, don't you think I would already have it on my rifle?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:37:46 PM EDT
OK, maybe this is not a standard part or something, but I called them and asked about it, and they sent me one. 1/2x28 to 22mm that is.

Call em and they will probably make you one, as that seems to be what happened in my case.

Chuck
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:36:49 PM EDT
This is the whole point of my post. If enough people contact them, then this part should be made available without having to "special order" it, it give us another option. For me, it is far easier and less of a hassle to thread the barrel with the dynasystems kit and screw an adapter on than it is to try and press one on or have it sent off for somebody to do it. That's all.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:07:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jimtash9:
The adapter IS what holds the dentent in place and keeps it from falling out. And if Global sold a 1x28 to 22mm adapter, don't you think I would already have it on my rifle?

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. the detent pin is held in place by design, it can't "fall out". It is spring loaded but the front in in the fsb is what retains it. From looking at the adapter on Global's site you can see where the catch is for the pin. My question was simply if enough of the pin was exposed to catch the brake or if you threaded right over it.

Nevermind.
Top Top