Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 11:04:20 AM EDT
Saw this in a local pawn shop.  I think it was called an 86 or 86S.  Has a muzzle break with left hand threads held on with a detent pin.  Also has bayo lug, cleaning rod, pistol grip and is chambered for 5.56.

Is this a legit preban?  Any idea as to the real value (reasonable retail)?

I need something to shoot the Pakis with.

Peace and brotherhood,
Mahatma
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I'm going to put a down payment on it.  Do you know where I can get info on the mags that work?

Also, since this isn't a MAK, can I put a folding stock on it?

Regards and visualize whirled peas,
Mahatma
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If its a preban, which it seems it is, you can put anything evil you want on it.  I think the rifle you speak of is called an 84 or 84s, otherwise if it is 86 it would be a bullpup.  

The mags you want for it are original Norinco 5.56 mags.  Look for them in various sites equiptment exchanges.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a Norinco 84S.
I have one I am planning on reincarnating as a SBR krink folder in 5.45.

If it all pans out I am going to sell my 3 mags. Might be a little while though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I've picked up 30 rd mags for $30.00 and one 20 rd mag for $20.00 and CDNNInvestments probably has mags which were converted to hold 14 rds.  I was able to get some Bulgarian .223 waffle mags to work in mine when I was able to pick them up for $14.00 each.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's a Norinco 84S.

There IS such a beast as the Norinco 86s, it's a BullPup AK.

ALSO, there is the 86s-7. It is their version of the RPK. Check the model # again and see if it says 86s-7 on it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Would a true preban have a muzzle brake and not a flash suppressor  ?????????????
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I see lots of 84s for sale with the chinese 74 brake copy on them.  I personally wouldn't keep it on there, but some people must fancy it some kind of Chicom AK74.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Would a true preban have a muzzle brake and not a flash suppressor  ?????????????

Yes, anyone with a Bulgarian or Romanian AK-74 parts kit built onto a pre-ban receiver has an original muzzle brake and not a flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The original 84s had a flash suppressor.  It was a skinny looking deal.  The threads are still standard AK threads though and you can put whatever AK threaded device on the end, and switch them out for whatever else you want on the end.  The original FS was the same diameter as the slant brake so that the bayonet would work.  

There are US made FS that you see people stick on MAK-90s, but they're easy to spot.  They're the same size as the M16 FS, just AK threaded on the inside.  The 84s FS is noticably skinnier.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:44:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I looked at the paperwork on my deposit -- it is an 84S.  I am really stoked about this one.  I have always wanted an AK-type with the bayo lug, muzzle attachment (honestly, guys, I can't tell a flash hider from a MB), and all the other goodies.  The wood is very nice.  I will end up paying slightly more than $400 for it.  I bought a milled receiver MAK at this place for $350 earlier this year.  However, after looking at all it would take to make it 922-comp, I simply sold it for $400 at the next gun show.

This will be a keeper for me.  I have a 922-comp SLR95 with black US poly furniture.  I didn't think I would get another AK-type, but I knew I was looking at a bargain when I saw this new one.

Thanks for all the help.  

Regards,
Mahatma
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:53:46 AM EDT
[#12]
What is the standard thread pitch for an AKM? 14x1 or some bastardized standard?

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I will end up paying slightly more than $400..... for

Mahatma

For slightly more than $400 who gives a shit what's on the end !!  (Great buy.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a Norinco 84S.

There IS such a beast as the Norinco 86s, it's a BullPup AK.

ALSO, there is the 86s-7. It is their version of the RPK. Check the model # again and see if it says 86s-7 on it.

Thanks, learn something everyday!

Mahatma,
$400?! No shit?!
You must've brought your AIM flyer!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I very nearly got one of those pre-ban underfolders that some jackass had stuck a thumbhole on (still had the bayo lug and threaded muzzle) with over a dozen mags including some sort of converted drum for $395. I gave the guy a $50 to hold it but by the time I got back from the bank the bastard sold it out from under me "he he, here's your $50 back". I never had so clearly understood what the pig-sticker was ment for on chicom rifles and Mosins, than I did at that moment.

I've got a Norinco 7.62 "cage" for my Romanian AKMS. Good design, nice flash pattern...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top