Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2003 6:44:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:44:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2003 8:45:02 PM EDT by M4_Aiming_at_U]
Vietnam, Korea, and the many small battles between China and Russia along the border in the 70's saw extensive use of the SKS. Im not really sure as to why it was used so much even though the AK was in high numbers.

BTW: I have seen some units in Western China still using SKS's. They are the Norinco SKS's that accept the AK magazines.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:17:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2003 10:26:31 PM EDT by Templar]
The SKS is still soldiering on today....especially in Africa and also recently in the Balkans. I have pictures of soldiers/fighters in the Balkans (former Yugoslavia) using them right next to AK's, Austrian StG-58 FAL's, and various relics of WWII.

The AK did not really come online until 1951/2 or so in Russia, let alone the satelite countries, while the SKS was in production by 1945.

The SKS saw limited use in Korea, but in most every hot spot after that involving com-bloc combatents, it made a show, especially in Indochina and later the Vietnam conflict. Whole battalions of NVA were issued the SKS early in the war before Chinese aid really got into the swing.

As to why produce the rifle in conjunction with the AK? Well, I haven't seen any Russian SKS with a date after 1955. By that time, the milled receiver AK-47 was starting to be issued in a more wide spread manner. The East Germans, Romanians, Yugoslavs, and Chinese, didn't get AK technology immediately. You make do with what you have.

The Yugoslavs started building SKS's in 1959, and AK's in 1964.

The Chinese did get both SKS and AK technology at the same time, in 1956, but I'm guessing that at the time, they were more than happy to get any "new" technology they could get their hands on......Mao's Great Leap Forward, meant to drag China into the 20th Century, managed to kill over 30 million of it's own people thru stavation....but that's another thread....
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:58:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:26:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:
Vietnam, Korea, and the many small battles between China and Russia along the border in the 70's saw extensive use of the SKS. Im not really sure as to why it was used so much even though the AK was in high numbers.

BTW: I have seen some units in Western China still using SKS's. They are the Norinco SKS's that accept the AK magazines.

The Chinese SKS variant you mention is the Type 68. It does use AK mags and outwardly appears to be an SKS knock-off. It has significant internal differences, however. If I'm not mistaken, the Type 68 has been the issue PLA (Chicom army) weapon for quite some time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:24:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ABNAK:

Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:

The Chinese SKS variant you mention is the Type 68. It does use AK mags and outwardly appears to be an SKS knock-off. It has significant internal differences, however. If I'm not mistaken, the Type 68 has been the issue PLA (Chicom army) weapon for quite some time.

The only internas tht are different is the mag well and thats it. Its all Chinese SKS from there.
SOme of the ones I saw in use over there looked like they were put through HELL! Still worked great though. Even saw some goldand hrome SKS's as well for guard and parade use.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:01:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:33:48 PM EDT
I want a PTRS, just to complete the collection for Comrade Simonov. Then I move on to JM Browning.

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
siminova!

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:34:35 PM EDT
The commies were still churning out mosins through the fifties also, strange.
Top Top