Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/7/2003 12:30:12 PM EDT
I currently own an SA-85M w/ thumbhole stock. Over this weekend I thought I may investigate collecting all the SA-85M versions. I have only noticed two the underfolder version and thumbhole one. Are there any others, perhaps one that looks like a traditional AK. Where would be the best place to find info and estimated prices on the other versions.  One last Q could anyone tell me when mine was made KBI Inc import w/ serial # SM111xx.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a full stock one, and I think that rounds it out, except for the ones with the shorter AMD style gas tube.  

You do know there will be a considerable price differential between the one you have now and the pre-ban versions you speak of right?

Most underfolders are around $1400 everywhere I've seen them.  

The full-stock preban is about the same.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I was digging around on the auction sites and saw an underfolder for $1600.00 or so. You were right big difference. If I undersand you right there are only three SA-85M variations(Thumbhole, Underfolder, and Traditional). Which one would be the most rare or desirable of the three. Any more info would be great!    
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Well since nobody else has chimed in yet, I'll keep on going.  

After looking at the preban Hungarians long and hard, I have found that easily 3 out of ever 4 I see will be underfolders.  I don't know if it is because there are more or what, but I see a lot less of the full stock versions.  

Having noticed that I would say the full stock version is more rare, but if anyone knows better feel free to say something.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The SA-85M was imported for only part of 1986.
There were 7,000 total guns imported.
4,000 were underfolders,
3,000 were traditional full stock versions.

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, was the SA-85M ONLY imported in 1986?

When you say "traditional full stock versions", do you mean "pistol grip and unattached buttstock" or "thumbhole stock" ??

GunsAmerica has the underfolders for about $1500 and change, and the thumbhole stock models for $500-$700.

Did it ever come in the pistol-grip-with-unattached-buttstock variety?

Also, as you say they were imported in 1986, does that make all SA-85m's pre-ban?  If all are pre-ban rifles, they can be configured however you desire, yeah?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry,My Bad....

>>When you say "traditional full stock versions", do you mean "pistol grip and unattached buttstock" or "thumbhole stock" ??<<

Traditional full stock = Pistol grip and unattached buttstock...

>>Did it ever come in the pistol-grip-with-unattached-buttstock variety?<<

Yes they did. They were the 3,000 pre-ban guns imported in 1986

The 7,000 imported in 1986 were all PRE-BAN configuration guns imported by Kassnar
in Harrisburg,Pa.

>>Also, as you say they were imported in 1986, does that make all SA-85m's pre-ban? If all are pre-ban rifles, they can be configured however you desire, yeah?<<

Nay Nay....although i would love to find a post ban and Change it over with the USA parts.
They are the best quality guns in the AK realm you will see.

Once the ban hit, they were De-Luged and the angle breaks were changed, and they were fitted with thumbhole stocks to be post-ban legal.
These guns were imported by K.B.I.

Hope this helps,

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help on the pre ban SA-85Ms. Does anyone know what year(s) KBI imported the thumbhole version and how many? Where did the info come from on the quantities imported for the pre ban versions?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is the link:

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/wwwboard/messages/5787.html

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Would anyone know how many post ban SA-85M w/ thumbhole stocks were imported from KBI? I figure once I get this and with the other info learned about the pre-bans I can start to be dangerous and perhaps buy another.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Dont forget the SA-2000.  This was a single stack SA-85M that had a Choate Dragunov type stock and handguards.  It also had the AMD-65 type muzzle brake permanently attached.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top