Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/7/2003 12:30:12 PM EDT
I currently own an SA-85M w/ thumbhole stock. Over this weekend I thought I may investigate collecting all the SA-85M versions. I have only noticed two the underfolder version and thumbhole one. Are there any others, perhaps one that looks like a traditional AK. Where would be the best place to find info and estimated prices on the other versions. One last Q could anyone tell me when mine was made KBI Inc import w/ serial # SM111xx.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:39:55 PM EDT
There is a full stock one, and I think that rounds it out, except for the ones with the shorter AMD style gas tube.

You do know there will be a considerable price differential between the one you have now and the pre-ban versions you speak of right?

Most underfolders are around $1400 everywhere I've seen them.

The full-stock preban is about the same.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:17:57 PM EDT
I was digging around on the auction sites and saw an underfolder for $1600.00 or so. You were right big difference. If I undersand you right there are only three SA-85M variations(Thumbhole, Underfolder, and Traditional). Which one would be the most rare or desirable of the three. Any more info would be great!
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:33:04 PM EDT
Well since nobody else has chimed in yet, I'll keep on going.

After looking at the preban Hungarians long and hard, I have found that easily 3 out of ever 4 I see will be underfolders. I don't know if it is because there are more or what, but I see a lot less of the full stock versions.

Having noticed that I would say the full stock version is more rare, but if anyone knows better feel free to say something.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:42:43 PM EDT
The SA-85M was imported for only part of 1986.
There were 7,000 total guns imported.
4,000 were underfolders,
3,000 were traditional full stock versions.

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 8:34:12 PM EDT
OK, was the SA-85M ONLY imported in 1986?

When you say "traditional full stock versions", do you mean "pistol grip and unattached buttstock" or "thumbhole stock" ??

GunsAmerica has the underfolders for about $1500 and change, and the thumbhole stock models for $500-$700.

Did it ever come in the pistol-grip-with-unattached-buttstock variety?

Also, as you say they were imported in 1986, does that make all SA-85m's pre-ban? If all are pre-ban rifles, they can be configured however you desire, yeah?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 8:56:51 PM EDT
Sorry,My Bad....

>>When you say "traditional full stock versions", do you mean "pistol grip and unattached buttstock" or "thumbhole stock" ??<<

Traditional full stock = Pistol grip and unattached buttstock...

>>Did it ever come in the pistol-grip-with-unattached-buttstock variety?<<

Yes they did. They were the 3,000 pre-ban guns imported in 1986

The 7,000 imported in 1986 were all PRE-BAN configuration guns imported by Kassnar
in Harrisburg,Pa.

>>Also, as you say they were imported in 1986, does that make all SA-85m's pre-ban? If all are pre-ban rifles, they can be configured however you desire, yeah?<<

Nay Nay....although i would love to find a post ban and Change it over with the USA parts.
They are the best quality guns in the AK realm you will see.

Once the ban hit, they were De-Luged and the angle breaks were changed, and they were fitted with thumbhole stocks to be post-ban legal.
These guns were imported by K.B.I.

Hope this helps,

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:36:03 PM EDT
Thanks for the help on the pre ban SA-85Ms. Does anyone know what year(s) KBI imported the thumbhole version and how many? Where did the info come from on the quantities imported for the pre ban versions?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:58:45 PM EDT
Here is the link:

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/wwwboard/messages/5787.html

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:25:13 PM EDT
Would anyone know how many post ban SA-85M w/ thumbhole stocks were imported from KBI? I figure once I get this and with the other info learned about the pre-bans I can start to be dangerous and perhaps buy another.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:21:25 AM EDT
Dont forget the SA-2000. This was a single stack SA-85M that had a Choate Dragunov type stock and handguards. It also had the AMD-65 type muzzle brake permanently attached.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:17:54 PM EDT
Top Top