Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/31/2003 1:55:28 PM EDT
Took my new SAR-2 (5.45x39) out to the range today. After I was done, while picking up the empties, I noticed about 90% of the casings had cratered primers and/or primers that were backing out. One in ten had splits on the necks. Fired around 200rnds- no problems with feeding or ejection. I've fired several thousand  rounds of Wolf of various calibers, with no problems what so ever. If anything, I've found Wolf to be slightly underpowered rather than too hot. So what do you think? Headspace seems a logical guess. Anybody had similar problems?

Ok, this is the worst of the lot... notice the protruding primer. I'm going to try out some Barnaul and see if there is any difference.

Link Posted: 8/31/2003 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It probably is headspace, but I would try some Barnaul real quick just in case you have the first SAR to have an ammo preference.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Internet slowness = double post
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If youhave had it less than a year send it back to CAI!

I've had it less than two weeks.

Seems Century still can't build decent rifle. Anybody ever had to deal with Century? Hope it isn't a long, painful journey. Anybody have a No Go gauge I can rent?
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#7]
To piggyback on this thread:

Every round of Wolf and Barnaul I've ever put through my ORF/Bulgie 74 has had seriously cratered primers.

However, as there are none of the other classic symptons of over-pressure present, and as the gun runs great, I have thus far chosen not to worry about it.

Have I been reasonable or, do I have an impending problem I should worry about?

Thanks, all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Every 74 bolt has a dished out area around the firing pin. Look at the bolt face and you will see it.  Romy bolts hame it and Bulgy bolts have it.

I speculate this is a deliberate design feature to form a seal around the firing pin tip to prevent primer anlus from being blown back into the firing pin channel.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:16:33 AM EDT
[#9]
My  SAR2 does the exact same thing. The primer bulge is from the fireing pin hole like others said. I get a few split necks also. My buddies does the same.Its been a few thousand rounds between us both .No problems ....WD
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#11]
So, who makes a No Go gauge for the 5.45? I bet there isn't a gunsmith in the five State area who has one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with the others. All of the 5.45 ammo that I have fired has exhibited primer flow and it does not seem to be a problem.  It seems like the primer cup material is not quite hard enough to resist the presure of firing but, other than the obvious primer flow, everything works fine. However, if the whole primer *body* sticks out from the rear end of the case, you probably have excessive headspace.

This brings up another question. If an AK does have excessive headspace, how can this be fixed? The barrel is already drilled and pinned in the position that has too much headspace. The only thing that I can think of would be to press the barrel to the correct position using gauges and then redrill and use an oversize pin. Is this it? What can be done about excessive headspace?

Thanks

Drue
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]
The way I understand it, it is fixed by schoothcing the barrel back, drilling a new slightly larger hole in the barrel and trunion and re-pinning with the bigger cross pin.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I think that it is probably hot ammo.  I have tried Wolf in 223 and 30 Russkie, and both have had slightly flattened primers.  The same guns exhibit no symptoms when using US commercial ammo.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top