Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/25/2003 8:33:55 AM EDT
I am currently in the process of selecting both an AK-47 and AK-74 to purchase in the next few weeks and was hoping some of you could provide some input.

1)  For the AK-47 I have pretty much decided on the SAM-7 S from Arsenal Inc.  From what I have read on this board it seems like the best choice.  Please let me know if there are any other manufacturers/models I should consider.

2)  The AK-74 seems to be a little bit tougher decision to make.  As I have limited mechanical experience I would like to stay away from attempting to build one from a parts kit.  The only other options are the VEPR K from Robinson Armament and the SSR-74-2 from Arsenal USA.  Can anyone with experience with either of these rifles please comment on the pros and cons of each. Are there any other AK-74's on the market that I should look at?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree with your choice on the SAM7 S. They are nice. I would have Chris from AK-USA build you one of his AK's in the AK74 style, although there is nothing wrong with the Robinson Arms rifle either.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#2]
You can also go with a SAR-2 available from AIM. $269 while supplies last. Add the muzzle break and required U.S. parts and you will have a decent '74 on the cheap.

For a better quality '74, I would look into a parts gun. A good quality '74 to get, without all the hassle, would be one from ORF. I believe Ken@RSA still has a InRange built '74 for sale.

Arsenal (TX) seems to be having trouble with their SSR-56's so I wouldm't put alot of stock into their '74s (which I don't think are even for sale yet).

The Vepr, while an excellent choice, doesn't have quite the same features as a '74. If you are only after a 5.45 AK, then you cant go wrong.

Edited for speeling
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Also consider that you can have a Bulgy 74 kit for under $200. Adding your choice of US parts and a pro-build finish is very much priced like the SAM7S.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking about a Sam-7, but I wanted a true looking Ak-47 with 45* gas block, but the sam-7 comes with a 90*.  So I opted for a build which will cost about $ 635 total.  Just a little more expensive than a sam-7.

Just an option to consider.

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys.

I have a question about the gas block.  Is there any differences between 45 and 90 degree in terms of reliability?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#7]
According to the ARSENAL web site, they offer the SAM-7 classic with the 45 degree gas block & wood stock.

www.arsenalinc.com/sam7classic.html

I dunno about the availability though, I heard thru one dealer they were kinda scarce.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top