Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2003 8:33:55 AM EDT
I am currently in the process of selecting both an AK-47 and AK-74 to purchase in the next few weeks and was hoping some of you could provide some input.

1) For the AK-47 I have pretty much decided on the SAM-7 S from Arsenal Inc. From what I have read on this board it seems like the best choice. Please let me know if there are any other manufacturers/models I should consider.

2) The AK-74 seems to be a little bit tougher decision to make. As I have limited mechanical experience I would like to stay away from attempting to build one from a parts kit. The only other options are the VEPR K from Robinson Armament and the SSR-74-2 from Arsenal USA. Can anyone with experience with either of these rifles please comment on the pros and cons of each. Are there any other AK-74's on the market that I should look at?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:50:45 AM EDT
I agree with your choice on the SAM7 S. They are nice. I would have Chris from AK-USA build you one of his AK's in the AK74 style, although there is nothing wrong with the Robinson Arms rifle either.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:58:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2003 9:00:07 AM EDT by Mbsk01]
You can also go with a SAR-2 available from AIM. $269 while supplies last. Add the muzzle break and required U.S. parts and you will have a decent '74 on the cheap.

For a better quality '74, I would look into a parts gun. A good quality '74 to get, without all the hassle, would be one from ORF. I believe Ken@RSA still has a InRange built '74 for sale.

Arsenal (TX) seems to be having trouble with their SSR-56's so I wouldm't put alot of stock into their '74s (which I don't think are even for sale yet).

The Vepr, while an excellent choice, doesn't have quite the same features as a '74. If you are only after a 5.45 AK, then you cant go wrong.

Edited for speeling
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 10:49:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:47:48 AM EDT
Also consider that you can have a Bulgy 74 kit for under $200. Adding your choice of US parts and a pro-build finish is very much priced like the SAM7S.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:14:04 PM EDT
I was thinking about a Sam-7, but I wanted a true looking Ak-47 with 45* gas block, but the sam-7 comes with a 90*. So I opted for a build which will cost about $ 635 total. Just a little more expensive than a sam-7.

Just an option to consider.

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:12:15 PM EDT
Thanks for the input guys.

I have a question about the gas block. Is there any differences between 45 and 90 degree in terms of reliability?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:56:29 AM EDT
According to the ARSENAL web site, they offer the SAM-7 classic with the 45 degree gas block & wood stock.

www.arsenalinc.com/sam7classic.html

I dunno about the availability though, I heard thru one dealer they were kinda scarce.

Top Top