Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/24/2003 1:59:34 PM EDT
I have a trade lined up for one as a beater AK for the trunk.  Wondering if anybody has made a standard buttstock and pistol grip that can replace the Dragunov stock it comes with.  I understand I'll have to swap out some foreign parts with US parts, but first I need the stock.

Wonder if a VEPR stock would fit?  Does Vepr sell just the stock?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Any of the stamped AK stocks will work.  K-var makes one in the US and it will count towards your parts number.  There are a plethora of foregin made surplus stocks available.

Another option is if you are not concerned with "looks" and need a more comfortable and longer stock than the drag that's on there, try out a Choate Drag-type stock.  You won't have to change any parts, as it's still a drag-type, so it's the cheapest solution.  It's also longer, high-quality, tough, and comfortable to use.  I keep one around for just such purposes as swapping on anything I pick up cheap for a beater.

If you're just going to beat on it, and leave it in your trunk, it's a good way to go.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought they cut the receiver so standard stocks would not fit on the WUM.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they do have the angle or radius cut receivers.  If that's the case I think Ironwooddesigns can make a standard type stock for it to order.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Some are cut and some arnt ... only have to worry about the pistol grip tho
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]
you could try the Robinson Armament stock /grip they use on the VEPR.  the VEPR has the same rear angle cuts.  they had them listed on their web site, but had to buy the stock/ front hand guard combo for about $90 i believe.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I put a SAR-2 Stock on my WUM-1
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Antares: What do you mean I on;y have to worry about the pistol grip?  Thiks one has the radius cut on the rear of the receiver.

Robarms has the stock listed with no trigger parts for $125... is that what you are talking about?

M4, you put the SAR-2 stock on a RADIUS cut receiver?  Could you email me a couple pics so I can see how it turned out?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you Campy, I appreciate your technical expertise as always.  You are no doubt the most knowledgeable AK person around.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
nevermind ... didnt realize you had the weird romak style receiver cut...

different importers different demil techniques ... my bad :-)
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
M4_aiming, you put the SAR-2 stock on a RADIUS cut receiver?  Could you email me a couple pics so I can see how it turned out?

I dont think I have the same rec. as you. Mine is a regular AK style cut rec. on my WUM-1
but here is a pic that you wanted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]
This should help you visualize what I'm talking about.  That curve in the back of the receiver is actually a cut.

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This should help you visualize what I'm talking about.  That curve in the back of the receiver is actually a cut.

Honestly, I dont see what would be so bad about putting a regular AK 47/74 stock with that cut in the REC.

What are we talking? 1/4"? 1/2" of extra wood showing from the new stock?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm wondering how firmly anchored a standard stock would be in that receiver.  If a hard jolt to the stock would put undo pressure on the portion which screws into the trunion.  I don't know, I'm no expert.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Although I mentioned it before, it hasn't really been noticed so here's a link:

ironwooddesigns.com/2Aprodpage/1zAKproduct.html

These guys have and will make standard-type stocks to order for all of the receiver types shown in the link.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#16]
No no no AJ, I did see that.  I emailed them and have not heard back yet.  Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:36:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:09:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Campy.  I don't have the rifle yet, but the seller told me it is radius cut.  I am pretty careful with my rifles, so it shouldn't be an issue I guess. Still I hope to hear back from Ironwood on a proper stock.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:12:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Could a good Smith re-furbish the receiver to standard specs?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#20]
The factory stocks really aren't that bad, my CUR2 still wears her original laminated t-hole stock set. I contemplated swapping for U.S. parts and ended up just buying an SAR2. The factory Rom trigger has been pretty much on par with my Chinese rifles that sport factory fcg's, no slap.

The thing I like about the stock is that unlike a MAK or Maadi, it is standard length. The one thing I don't care for is the over-sized pistol grip. I saw a pic posted on another board where a guy had removed some of the wood on the back of the pistol grip and refinished it with Golden Oak stain. It looked far more comfortable.

Might be a better alternative for a "trunk gun".Cheaper for sure.

-just a thought
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top