Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2003 6:27:41 PM EDT
What would be my best bet here?

Laminated stock SAR-1 for $309.95

OR

An SAR-2 for only $269.95
Both are brand new.  I have an AR and now want an AK.  I know the 7.62x39 will bump fire fairly easy but will the SAR-2 do the same?  Could I get the pros and cons (if any) on the two?  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
 SAR-1 in 7.62, the only REAL AK caliber.

5.45 ammo seems to be either feast or famine, why take a chance. You can buy 7.62x39 at freakin Wal Mart for gods sake.

Chuck
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I would get the SAR-2 since they are no longer going to be imported into the US at this time.  I believe that they will be imported again, but just don't know who will.

5.45 ammo is easy to find on the net.  You can check Dan's, Ammunition.com, Ammoman.com, and Aim etc.

Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
$270 get the SAR2... SAR1s are more plentiful and can always be found in that price range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
SAR-2 all the way.
5.45 is easy to find on the net.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok i think I will buy and SAR-2.  Where is the best place to get the 5.45 ammo?  And can you bump-fire sar-2's
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I vote SAR-2

It can be bumpfired more easlily than the SAR-1 due to .22LR like recoil.

Ammo can be found at:

www.ammunitionstore.com
www.dansammo.com
www.aimsurplus.com
www.kyimportscom
www.ammoman.com
www.jgsales.com

That is all Ican think of of the top of my head.  I know there are more.

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered a SAR 2 from aimsurplus, for an extra $10.00 they will hand pick one for you. It came in and is the nicest looking AK I've ever seen!!!!Nicely finished with gorgeous blonde wood. The experts will tell you to get a SAR 1 for a first AK, I'm not really sure why. Maybe because of the cheap ammo, and mags. 5.45X39 ammo is almost as cheap, but mags are about twice as much $$$$$....
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#8]
SAR1 for tearing big stuff up or knocking down plates. Otherwise, get the SAR2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#10]
For the current prices of an SAR-2, get one.  Don't think you will find a better deal for a new SAR for a long time, if ever.  

You can always step up and buy an SAR-1 later too, because it doesn't look like their prices are really going to change from the $300 average anytime soon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Have both a pair of 5.45 AKs.  I have been thinking about getting a 7.62 AK.  But then I shoot my decked out SAR-2, and decide it works jussst fiiine!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Get both....

You can never have enough AKs.....

KF
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#13]
 Dude, don't buy into the propoganda, there is only one caliber for a real AK and it sure aint some dimunitive pipsqueak of a bullet 5.anything!

You are being subtly manipulated into becoming one of those slavering mouse gunners my friend!!

The Russians gave up on the 7.62 round and look at what happened to them, it's a slippery slope that you are headed down, and the final destination is ruin!!

Chuck

(On a somewhat serious note, the 5.45 AK's shoot great, I personally do not like them but that is a personal opinion. You can not go wrong with any SAR for what you can get one for.
Buy,shoot,and enjoy. Get a SAR1 when you are ready to wear boxers instead of a thong! Bwahahahahahahahaha)

That ought to stir ye olde pot!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:37:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just ordered a SAR 2 from aimsurplus, for an extra $10.00 they will hand pick one for you. It came in and is the nicest looking AK I've ever seen!!!!Nicely finished with gorgeous blonde wood. The experts will tell you to get a SAR 1 for a first AK, I'm not really sure why. Maybe because of the cheap ammo, and mags. 5.45X39 ammo is almost as cheap, but mags are about twice as much $$$$$....

mmsig229,
Can you post a pic of your new SAR2?  I'm waiting to get mine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 AKs and I it's easy to tell the 5.45x39 is superior.  Smoother shooting, much lower recoil, much more accurate, lighter, etc.  

No need to worry about "wussyness", not only is 5.45 actually louder then 7.62x39, but in reality, both rounds are "wussy" when you compare them to full-powered rifle rounds.  No Commie caliber AK will ever impress anyone with it's recoil, unless your talking about lack ther of...

Another point to be made; the 7.62 AK has been being consistantly out-shot by "wussy-caliber" M16s in every encounter since the Vietnam war.  Just ask the Iraqis about small-caliber effectiveness.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I just shot my new SAR 2 today for the first time. I also shot my SAR 3, and a buddies Norinko AK in 7.62X39. I was too lazy to clean my SAR 1, so I didn't shoot it!!!Anyway, the SAR 2 shot nice, was very reliable, but honestly i didn't notice any difference in recoil between these three different calibers. Maybe it's just me...
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I just received my second SAR-2 from Aim Surplus- one of the nicest rifles I've seen in the Romanian SAR series. Everthing is straight. Trigger is suprisingly smooth. Gone is the doody brown varnished stock, instead it is a rather nice blondish color. I'm not big on blond stocks, so I stained it with Chestnut Ridge stain and topped it of with a few coats of acrylic spray. Haven't shot it yet, but so far I'm extremely pleased. Next purchase will be a Kobra sight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#19]
mach 1, sweet eh??I got my SAR 2 from aimsurplus.com last week. Mine also had that nice blonde wood. it almost looked like it wasn't varnished at all. I'm thinking about lightly sanding it, cleaning it up with mineral spirits, then using some varnish on it to seal the wood. kevf7 suggested using tung oil before varnishing to bring out the grain, what do you think????
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about lightly sanding it, cleaning it up with mineral spirits, then using some varnish on it to seal the wood. kevf7 suggested using tung oil before varnishing to bring out the grain, what do you think????

Never tried tung oil before varnishing- sounds interesting. I've heared of people bleaching the wood to bring out the grain, but I personally have never tried it. You could say I'm a bit lazy when it comes to refinishing. That's why this Chestnut Ridge stain works so well, because it's easy to use and gives a nice reddish color that matches the original Russian AK-74 pretty well. I try and go for the authentic look when possible. A laminated stock would be better, but I'm quite pleased with my limited effort.... So,far. Posts some pics when your done. I'm always interested to see what others are doing with their AK's.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
the russians dumped 7.62x39 almost 30 years ago.

wanna find out why?

try an sar-2!

The Russians are dumping the 5.45 round as well. Get the SAR 3.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#22]
This is a pic of my SAR-2 out of the box from Aim Surplus...

After stock refinishing...

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the russians dumped 7.62x39 almost 30 years ago.

wanna find out why?

try an sar-2!

The Russians are dumping the 5.45 round as well. Get the SAR 3.

I haven't heard anything about the Russians dumping 5.45.  

I love ARs, but 5.56 is like 5.45 only pickier about volocity.  

With the SAR2 you get the nice, tapered case and all the reliability that comes with it!

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#24]
damn Mach 1, that came out REALLY nice!!!!congrats...My SAR 1 looks just like your creation, so I think I may keep my 2 a blonde. They do have more fun you know....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top