Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2003 4:22:25 PM EDT
Interesting way to tape the mags together. Although, I don't see any advantage in that method.

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say that Liberia is yet another example of the over-proliferation of AKs is a very bad thing.  To place such firepower into such a shattered and uneducated society isn't much different from giving plasma guns to gave men, and I don't mean that in a racist way, but only in how it reflects levels of education and understanding.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would say that Liberia is yet another example of the over-proliferation of AKs is a very bad thing.  To place such firepower into such a shattered and uneducated society isn't much different from giving plasma guns to gave men, and I don't mean that in a racist way, but only in how it reflects levels of education and understanding.  

What was the average level of education of the men who inhabited this nation in its infancy?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
They probably just don't understand the concpt of keeping a space between the mags lie a Fobus, or mag cinch.

I doub't they are the smartest people in the world......ever seen 'em shoot?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, at least the finger is off of the trigger
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
But I do not see how she plans to fire the gun with the safety on.   [:\]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Who said she was planning on shooting it right then?....
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
AKs arent exactly great for rapid mag changes anyway - I doubt the extra work to line up two neatly side-by-side would be worth it to your average Liberian irregular. Plus, you are dealing with people who improvise with whatever materials they can scrounge.

For the most part, the "soldiers" fighting are very poorly trained and disciplined when it comes to fighing as a unit. I have heard stories of some very brave and talented individuals - but "Rambo" was a movie, not reality. Discipline and teamwork are required for an effective fighting unit.

I have a friend who is a vet of the 1997(?) UN interdiction in Liberia (for those that may not know, that was almost parallel to the situation this past month, but it was Charles Taylor's forces who were closing in on the seated leadership). He said most of the soldiers they fought against were poorly disciplined - the trick in a fire fight was to just take cover and wait - before long they would consume nearly all of their ammo, at which point you could maneuver your forces to more advantageous positions. Apparently, they took "spray and pray" to new heights.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen Liberian AK pics in worse shape and mags taped in bundles of 3 or 4. When MK designed a gun to be soldier proof, he sure broke the mold.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#10]
safety on, finger off the trigger. good gun handling or staged photo?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#12]
It always amazes me in pics like this that people in such poor countries can get all the designer American clothing.

I wonder if they get those clothes from humanitarian efforts and stuff.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It always amazes me in pics like this that people in such poor countries can get all the designer American clothing.

I wonder if they get those clothes from humanitarian efforts and stuff.

Go to any 3rd world country and all the USA type of clothes are knock-offs. Copyrightes doesnt mean shit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Back to the original question, they're taped that way so they don't stick out so far.  If you taped them end to end, they'd be curving way out down and front.  If you tape them that way, then nothing is sticking out beyond the original profile of the rifle w/magazine.  It also keeps the mag opening towards the top of the assembly, so you're not sticking one mag in the dirt when you're shooting your AK that only cost you four loves of bread provided by USAID.

All it takes is two mags and tape.  Simplicity is a virtue sometimes.  

Ross
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was the average level of education of the men who inhabited this nation in its infancy?

I'm not talking about 2+2, I'm talking about understanding the nature of technology which is effectively out of their timeline.  The original inhabitants of this country (well, not the original-original) while not very educated by todays standards, were of the average for the day.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top