Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/20/2003 9:21:17 AM EDT
Any remedy?  the thing is just slightly loose, but it still bugs me a bit.

Just got a new SAR-1.

For the money, I'm very happy - can't wait to shoot it!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Just an idea but take it off and check the metal pring clip inside the upper handguard. Perhaps just bending that out slightly may help. If not, someone else may have a solution.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, drjarhead, but it was the tube itself that was loose, not just the wood loose on the tube assembly.

Found some solutions on gunsnet.

I cut a 1/4"x1/16" piece of plastic from a very thin zip tie and slipped it in the the notch that the tab at the rear of the handguard seats itself in.  I scraped it a bit to make it a tad thinner than it already was so that it's not hard at all to close the latch - won't force it to be looser than it already was if the plastic tab gets lost.  If I do lose it - make another - it costs nothing!  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Same problem, but lower handguard.
Any suggestions for that?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
You're right about the plastic melting, Campy - we'll see on Saturday.  Maybe that tie wrap was from a batch of "uberwraps" and won't cook. ha!

Again, though - it isn't the wood that's loose - not at all.  The whole tube itself has movement when installed on the rifle.

Also read suggestions on the other site about bits of paper clip, staples, and little balls of steel wool to make the clamping action of the takedown lever tighter.  All put in the same place I currently have my plastic strip - the lower groove in the rear sight housing that the tab for the gas tube fits in.

Any other suggestions?

BTW - also got two Yugo SKS's - my first SKS purchase.  SWEEEEET!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Leave it loose ... It improves accuracy !! :)
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm an AK newbie - are you kiding, jugrunner?  Looks like a floating barrel has already been defeated by the lower hand guard - I don't see how leaving the gas tube a little loose could help?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]
  Shoot the thing.  See how it works.  Instead of worrying about loose, think of it as clearance.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top