Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 8:39:57 AM EDT
I'm hoping someone here will listen to my pleas for deliverance from information overload! You guys, like another AK board I joined seem to be squared away as far as AK's go. So I hope you don't mind if I essentially left this same message on another board. It's not like cheating or anything is it?

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a traditional looking AK and all this stuff about trigger slap, canted barrels, chromed bores, milled receivers vs stamped, Hi Cap vs Low Cap capabilities is driving me to distraction! In the Marines they just handed me a good rifle and I shot the heck out of it and didn't have to worry about where to buy one or how to fix a bad one! For some reason I seem to be a good shot but am not blessed with all the wherewithal you guys seem to have.

I want a AK-47 (7.62 variety), or something that looks like the AK-47, that is dependable, relatively accurate, and doesn't potentially require all kinds of work once I take it out of the box.

I know I can buy an SAR-1 from AIM for about $300. But I hear I may have all kinds of problems which I don't want. I heard some say that the AK 103's by www.ak-103.com are good and that SAM 7's or SLR 101's by www.arsenalinc.com are good. I've also heard some people imply that SAM -7 guns aren't good. I've tried to contact Global Trades three times about their SSR-56 and newer models but they haven't even bothered to return my email requesting pricing or delivery.

I'm willing to spend around $500 to $600 maybe a little more if I have to. I would like a 7.62 cal, chromed barrel I think, something that looks AK (mean), has a rail for mounting scopes, and something that works smooth and reliable out of the box. Do I really need a milled receiver? Do I have fix the FCG once I buy one in order to get it to shoot well?

Thanks for listening. You guys seem pretty knowledgeable so I'm taking a shot in the dark...

Hopefully someone will take pity on a poor jarhead.

Thanks...

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey Devil Dog,

I have owned over a dozen AKs and the best off the shelf AK that I have handled has the be the Arsenal SA M-7.  I just ordered 2 of them from Federal Arms Corp.  They were $550 each shipped.  Both were dead nuts at 100 yards the the rear sight on the "1" notch.  They are bore sighted at the factory.  The fit, finish, quality and craftsmanship are second to none.

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an SAR-1 and I'm happy with it. Let me go through the thought process by which I selected the rifle. Much like you, I wanted to get a decent looking AK clone. I was NOT interested in a superbly crafted, beautiful and expensive rifle. To me, the AK's crudeness has a lot of charm. The SAR fit that bill perfectly. For the most part, 2002 and 2003 models are problem free; the canted FSB's are a thing of the past. They don't install the shepherd's crook correclty most of the time, but that's easily fixed on initial inspection.

Trigger slap - this is unique to SAR's and is an artifact of the poor machining of the FCG by Century. Their sear isn't fully machined, and it bothers some people but I've never bothered. I may mod it one day when I'm bored. AK triggers are usually pretty crummy, and that's not important to me. I have a nice AR with match trigger for precision work. AK's aren't super accurate anyway, and I doubt you could varmint shoot with it.

High cap/low cap - Unique to Romanian WASR rifles. They sell a cheap low cap model to comply with some law or another. Not worth going into, but the SAR's are a little nicer anyway.

Milled/stamped receivers - Someone once told me that if a gun was designed to be built with a forged receiver, then you ought to buy one with a forged receiver. Second and third generation AK's had milled receivers, AKM's went back to stamped receivers. I see no reason to get a milled receiver if the design calls for a stamped receiver. Most AK's on the market use the AKM design.

Chromed barrel - I don't know if there's an AK that doesn't have this.

That being said, all AK's can be reasonably expected to work well out of the box (let's not mention Hesse, shall we ?). They're AK's. The FCG is not necessary; it's a purely personal preference for a nicer trigger, which was not important to me, but it does not affect the functioning of the gun.

The rest is up to you. My SAR has been perfectly reliable and looks pretty good to boot. Look through the picture page that's pinned to the top of the page and you can see a variety of different AK's. From that, you ought to be able to decide how much money you want to spend extra for cosmetic stuff. I'm fairly proud of my little SAR-1. Nothing expect some sanding/buffing of the furniture and a AK-74 style brake. Not bad for around $300.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked up my SAM-7s last night. I was able to compare it to Shawn's (Cav Arms) VEPR at the same time. Shawn's parents owned the company that made VEPR stocks. The VEPR is way heavy. The stocks are way overbuilt. Shawn said they tried to talk them into a lighter foam filled material but they didn't want it. Quality on both is equal but the already heavy milled SAM-7s is a lightweight compared to the VEPR. If the VEPR had better designed furniture I would own one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Never held a ak-103.com gun in my hand (but enjoy their brake on my SAR1).

Ordering with no worries at all: SAM7S or VEPR K. Enjoy a fine gun.

Want to be happy for the low $400 range:handpick a SAR1 for no rude suprises about straight side rail/sights/gas block, chuck the fcg and get RSA or Gordon. Flog the shit out of it and use marker/krylon for any damage.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a current production 7.62 AK made in Bulgaria for Military export sales...(full auto)

This is a semiauto 7.62 AK made for US sales.
Arsenal SA M7

Nuff Said
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#8]
That's exactly the reason I bought the SAM-7s. With a $40 FSB from K-VAR I have an exact semi-auto copy of the Bulgarian AR-M1. If the ban expires as planned I'll have the new FSB on immediately. If the ban doesn't go away then I'll probably still install it minus the bayo lug and pin and weld on a brake.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Innocent,

You don't need to change your front sight housing to make it look more AR-M1"ish" :)

The current SA M-7 has the correct front sight housing used on the AR-M1 of two or three years ago. If you want it to match todays AR-M1, then yes, you will need to change that component, but if you don't mind it looking like a AR-M1 of a few short years ago, leave as is :)

I copied a picture off of the Arsenal of Bulgaria website a few years ago, and the front sight housing was as the SA M-7's is today :)

Just like any other model gun, some specs change here or there, but you still have a semi auto version of an AR-M1 (when owning a SA M-7):)
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Leatherneck,  I do not own a SAM-7S, but my recomendation would be the SAM-7S.  I currently own a converted SLR-95, and I am very pleased with it.  My opinion is that the SAM-7S is the best production rifle for the money.

There are many choices to choose from on the AK platform, which will drive you crazy.  

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#11]
SSR-99,

Did the earlier AR-M1s use a 14mm left hand threaded barrel instead of the big 24mm thread on the FSB?

What do you know about the current muzzle device on the AR-M1?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:40:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Montag,

Welcome to the board, I’m new here myself but this places seems like a very civil board compared to some of the others I’ve visited, seems like there’s a lot of good people and good information here.

Not too long ago I bought a SLR-100H for my first AK, it seems to be very similar to the SAM-7. My rifle shoots great, and has yet to have any malfunction, it appears to have been made of quality parts and the fit’n’finish is great. The rifle seems a bit heavy due in part to the milled receiver, but I wouldn’t trade it for a stamped one. I’m very happy with this weapon and would recommend it. Good luck.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:40:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Innocent,

I'm not sure what they were using on their 5.56 NATO calibered AR-M1's a few years back, but I know they used the more traditional front sight housing and threaded muzzle barrel for their 7.62x39 calibered AR-M1 rifles. On the SA M-7  and SLR-95's, they did not bother threading the muzzles of the barrels (since they place the SLR pinned on muzzle brake, or leave it bare). With Arsenal USA's SSR-99, they used brand new AR-M1 barrel assemblies. The 7.62x39 SSR-99 had the more traditional front sight housing, and had the threading at the muzzle end of the barrel (Arsenal USA had AKM slant brakes screwed on and welded for compliance of U.S. laws). Arsenal USA's 5.56 NATO calibered K-101 however, used the more modern threaded front sight housing that you see on the latest AR-M1's, but also had it's AK-74 style brake welded on. Because of the welded on brakes, I don't know what size threading for either one, but............Kvar was selling the same brand new AR-M1 kits that Arsenal USA was using at that time to build the K-101's & SSR-99's. I'm sure someone here either has, or had one of these KVAR kits, and of course they did not arrive with welded muzzle attachments on their muzzles, so maybe some of these people could post what the thread size and all was :)

Hope this helps :)

For those that think their SA M-7 is some sort of mutt, not at all.
They are not based on any one Russian variant, but they are almost a dead ringer to the AR-M1 Bulgarian Arsenal offering. So yes, the SA M-7 is based on a true modern production AK offering (a modern Bulgarian one, not Russian). Just remember that Kalashnikov himself has stated that he holds the Bulgarian AK's in high regard :)

As for the new muzzle attachments seen in some of the newest AR-M1 photos, I don't know a thing about them. We had a conversation about this on another board, and I could not help but be reminded of an American M-14 flash suppressor when I look at it. I would almost be willing to bet that it is their version of it on their newest AR-M1's :) It does look like it would only screw on to the guns with the modern threaded front sight housings.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:41:29 AM EDT
[#14]
For a milled rec AK,the SAM 7 is probably your best choice.If you decide on the SAR 1,visually inspect the rifle before you buy it.Even many of the new models have canted gas blocks and front sights.Its easy to tell if its straight or crooked.Good luck and remember to save some money for a case of ammo and a bunch of mags.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey Devil Dog,

I have owned over a dozen AKs and the best off the shelf AK that I have handled has the be the Arsenal SA M-7.  I just ordered 2 of them from Federal Arms Corp.  They were $550 each shipped.  Both were dead nuts at 100 yards the the rear sight on the "1" notch.  They are bore sighted at the factory.  The fit, finish, quality and craftsmanship are second to none.

Thanks for the tip USMC03! I tried looking for Federal Arms Corp with no luck. The only thing I could come up with is this
http://www.gzanders.com/manu/fa.html

There is just a banner with their name on it.No links or anything.

The picks look great! What kind of price did you pay for them? Does that model come with blond wood furniture too? How about a sight rail?

Thanks again again and please let me know how to contact Federal Arms...

Semper Fi Bro, Semper Fi!

Rodionovitch....
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
[d.i.]ok marine...listen up!!!![/d.i.]

the best deal in a somewhat standard ak-47 is the sa-m7s. made on an ak-47 milled receiver and using a combination of ak-47, akm, ak-74 and ak-100 parts, it is the best shot americans have at getting a factory built kalashnikov. although not authentic to any known russian pattern, it is a good, solid variant in the sub-$600 range. the optic rail "s" version is a 'must' in my opinion.

<snip>

Thanks for the information. Where are some good places to buy these from? Price is always a consideration but so is service as well all know...

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have an SAR-1 and I'm happy with it. Let me go through the thought process by which I selected the rifle. Much like you, I wanted to get a decent looking AK clone. I was NOT interested in a superbly crafted, beautiful and expensive rifle. To me, the AK's crudeness has a lot of charm. The SAR fit that bill perfectly. For the most part, 2002 and 2003 models are problem free; the canted FSB's are a thing of the past. They don't install the shepherd's crook correclty most of the time, but that's easily fixed on initial inspection.

<snip>
I'm fairly proud of my little SAR-1. Nothing expect some sanding/buffing of the furniture and a AK-74 style brake. Not bad for around $300.

Zhukov,

You did a great job on that weapon. Looks good.

If I had too I think I could revamp any furniture and even replace the FCG. However, I don't think I'd want to mess with a blow torch and attempt to fix a bad sight. I read somewhere on how to do it but I don't think I'd want to mess with it. I pretty much just want to "lock and load" and get the party started. But then again, if there were no problems, the $300 bucks or so I'd save would go along way towards a scope and other fun accessories...

I can feel my head starting to pound again..arrgh....

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Picked up my SAM-7s last night. I was able to compare it to Shawn's (Cav Arms) VEPR at the same time. Shawn's parents owned the company that made VEPR stocks. The VEPR is way heavy. The stocks are way overbuilt. Shawn said they tried to talk them into a lighter foam filled material but they didn't want it. Quality on both is equal but the already heavy milled SAM-7s is a lightweight compared to the VEPR. If the VEPR had better designed furniture I would own one.

Hello Bystander,

Did you order the gun or pick it out directly? I would be ordering it myself and wouldn't be able to inspect it first. Where did you get yours and how much was it? I was told the S means it has a stock rail?

Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Never held a ak-103.com gun in my hand (but enjoy their brake on my SAR1).

Ordering with no worries at all: SAM7S or VEPR K. Enjoy a fine gun.

Want to be happy for the low $400 range:handpick a SAR1 for no rude suprises about straight side rail/sights/gas block, chuck the fcg and get RSA or Gordon. Flog the shit out of it and use marker/krylon for any damage.

Greetings RS39,

I can't handpick one. I'm thirty clicks from nowhere. Don't get me wrong, I love north Florida, but not much in the way of well stocked gun shops. As loaded with weapons as Eglin AFB is I don't think they'd sell me the MOAB or anything. <g>

thanks....
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice gun Lumpy196. The $800 price is getting a bit up there though. What does it have that the others don't?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This is a current production 7.62 AK made in Bulgaria for Military export sales...(full auto)
compjrk.home.mindspring.com/7,62ar-m1.jpg

This is a semiauto 7.62 AK made for US sales.
Arsenal SA M7
compjrk.home.mindspring.com/bigsam7.jpg

Nuff Said hr

Can I get it in the blond furniture? Where would be a reliable and competitive place to buy one? It does accept the Hi Cap magazines, right?

Regards....
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Montag,

Welcome to the board, I’m new here myself but this places seems like a very civil board compared to some of the others I’ve visited, seems like there’s a lot of good people and good information here.

Not too long ago I bought a SLR-100H for my first AK, it seems to be very similar to the SAM-7. My rifle shoots great, and has yet to have any malfunction, it appears to have been made of quality parts and the fit’n’finish is great. The rifle seems a bit heavy due in part to the milled receiver, but I wouldn’t trade it for a stamped one. I’m very happy with this weapon and would recommend it. Good luck.

Best regards, J

Hello JTR8541,

Where did you pick up the gun and for how much? Is there anyplace I can take a look at one online?

Thanks...

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thanks for the tip USMC03! I tried looking for Federal Arms Corp with no luck.

The picks look great! What kind of price did you pay for them? Does that model come with blond wood furniture too? How about a sight rail?

Rodionovitch....

Here you go Brother, a link directly to the AK page www.gunsnstuff.net/p/t34.html

The SA M-7 cost me $550. each SHIPPED + $15 fee for my FFL to do the transfer.

The SA M-7 does come with a side scope rail and that model costs $621.

You can try to find a SA M-7 classic which has the blond wood and doesn't have the muzzle brake but goes for around $800.  You can get the SA M-7 with the black synthetic furniture and just buy the blond wood furniture for around $60 - $70 and put it on yourself, then you have the both the black synthetic and blond wood furniture.

I mailed my check off to FAC and had both rifles in 11 days.  Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Montag,

...sorry for the thread hijack, but....

....have you read any good books lately? [/Bradbury]

shameful, but sorry I had to do that...hr

Hello RotDorn,

As my one of my DI's at Paris Island used to say "Out f&#@ing standing!".

I have been online since the mid-eighties when F.I.D.O. was a pup and the "Information SuperHighway" was a footpath. And I have used that handle, or variation thereof, in every kind of newsgroup or list and nobody has ever made the connection. Until now.

Imagine that. Finding a thoughtful and well read individual on bulletin board about AK-47s. Kind of flys in the face of the "bubba" image the press likes to portray of gun owners doesn't it?

This just proves the point I've made elsewhere. Gun owners represent a cross-section of society. We're not just a bunch of sociopaths working for the post office as the liberals would have everyone believe. If anything, gun owners are more polite and respectful. For obvious reasons of course. We read Russian novels, Shakespeare, Sci-Fi, War novels, and even books by brother L'Amour.

My hat's off to you brother!

Now,about that AK I'm looking for......
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the tip USMC03! I tried looking for Federal Arms Corp with no luck.

Rodionovitch....

Here you go Brother, a link directly to the AK page www.gunsnstuff.net/p/t34.html

The SA M-7 cost me $550. each SHIPPED + $15 fee for my FFL to do the transfer.

The SA M-7 does come with a side scope rail and that model costs $621.

You can try to find a SA M-7 classic which has the blond wood and doesn't have the muzzle brake but goes for around $800.  You can get the SA M-7 with the black synthetic furniture and just buy the blond wood furniture for around $60 - $70 and put it on yourself, then you have the both the black synthetic and blond wood furniture.

I mailed my check off to FAC and had both rifles in 11 days.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info brother! Did you mean the SAM 7S comes with the siderail? Why is the SAM 7 Classic more expensive when it doesn't come with the side rail? Would I be able to buy blond furniture for the SAM 7S and still use the side rail or would it interfere with the wood stock somehow? Is the black furniture that comes with the SAM 7S a polymer base or just painted?

Lastly, you gave me a reference to Guns-n-Stuff. Are they a Rep for Federal Arms Corp or something?

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Montag,

Guns N Stuff, FAC, and Federal Arms Corp are all the same company.

The side rail attaches to the side of the receiver, maybe someone will come along and provide a link.  It does not interfer with using synthetic or wood furniture.

The SA M-7 and the SA M-7S are the same rifle except the SA M-7S has the added scope rail on the side of the receiver.

I do not know why the SA M-7 CLASSIC is so much more expensive, I believe that Arsenal only made a small number of these rifles from what I have heard, but I'm not 100% sure on that.  Just a side note, FAC does not carry the SA M-7 with the wood furniture.

The synthetic receiver is all one color, it's not painted.  It's much like the black pistol grip, buttstock, and handguard on the M16A2...Just a little different feel.  Also the lower handguard has a heat shield in it, the wood furniture does not have this feature.  When I first got into AKs I really loved the wood furniture, after shooting AKs quite a bit I have taken a liking to the synthetic furniture over the wood.  The only thing that I did change on my SA M-7's is the buttstock.  The buttstock that comes on the SA M-7 is 1.25" longer than the original standard length AK stock.  I prefer the shorter original AK stock so for $39 I changed the buttstock.

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Montag,

Out of any literature existential is my favorite for some odd reason. hehehehhehe...late at night around here we have discussions on who had the the most surreal view of the Dresden bombings, Montag or Billy Pilgrim. I am more a Vonnegut,or Kerouac fan, although their antiwar views turned me off, I still respect their work.

....now back to your redneck AK-47 discussions... hr

Holy cow, what have I gotten myself into here? Talk about surreal! Kerouac? Don't tell me you're a beatnik? Actually I thought they were cool, not like the hippy twits.<g> About five years ago I got into Vonnegut, read everything I could find by him. Like you, I didn't care for his political leanings but liked his style. Time travel, sheeesh... I'll have to drop by sometime late at night and see what kind of twilight zone you guys got going on here.

I suppose if I dropped in on the AR15 side they'll be talking about the epistemological implications of Kant's "Pure Reason" as it relates to bump firing?

Man, I gotta go sit down somewhere and have a beer...... This is too much....  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Montag,

Guns N Stuff, FAC, and Federal Arms Corp are all the same company.

<Snip>

Hello USMC03,

Thanks for the clarification. I figured it was something like that.

I was just starting to make some sense of things when RotDorn decided to freak me out.

Actually I've pretty much decided to either buy a $300 AK and build it up to my satisfaction or buy something completely done like one of the SAM 7's or similar quality...

It only took you 11 days to get the goods you say?

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quality costs money.  You can't go wrong with the SA M-7  ;)

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I say put down the $300 and build your AK up.  That way, everything is the way you want it.  Not to mention it is a bit more satisfying adding stuff to your AK and it is fun watching your stock AK turn into a bad-ass fighting machine with all the bells and whistles

This should leave you with a little extra $$$ for some more mags and ammo too.  You do want to bump-fire 1k rounds in 5 minutes don't you?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I believe only 250 Classics we're made, I think a few might be still floating around somewheres, I have one, its a Great Rifle. I plan on getting a SAM7S.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Wood furniture sets that will fit the SAM-7 are available at K-Var, FYI.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:29:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Montag,

The pic below is from a rifle that was for sale on gunsamerica.com. My rifle is identical say for a slant break. I bought it used in a shop in Scottsdale, Arizona for $450. All I got was the rifle, had to bring my own case to take it home… I think this guy wanted $850 for his.

I figure the arf guys more for Christopher Lasch; newer, better, faster. None of that old school stuff…

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:34:42 AM EDT
[#36]
These are shops i found from a search on AK dealers in our area. Thought they might give you an opportunity to go and handle some since most places around here do not have them on the rack. Although i don`t own an AK yet either, i believe i have pretty much decided to go with the SAM7. Good luck, and thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge it has been a very big help as usual.

JAMES E BALLARD ENTERPRISES  
1405 CAT MAR RD  
NICEVILLE , FL 32578  
Phone : (850) 897-0695

LARRYS SPORTING GOODS&GUN SHOP
2701 PLEASANT VALLEY RD  
MOBILE , AL 36606  
Phone : (251) 476-9693

PRECISION SHOOTING CLUB INC  
15 HARRIS RD  
SARALAND , AL 36571  
Phone : (251) 679-9530

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:19:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Hello Mbsk01,

Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I needed to see. While I do like the black polymer "Terminator" look, I also like the elegant "we'll quote shakespeare then kill you" furniture look too. This would give me the best of both worlds.

Which k-var blond furniture kit would apply? I hope the furniture shown is not one of those "color is not representative of what you may receive." I'd hate to think I'd be getting some blond furniture kit and receive something totally different.

Thanks again for the link!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:26:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Montag,

The pic below is from a rifle that was for sale on gunsamerica.com. My rifle is identical say for a slant break. I bought it used in a shop in Scottsdale, Arizona for $450. All I got was the rifle, had to bring my own case to take it home… I think this guy wanted $850 for his.

www.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/386eb9fa.jpg

I figure the arf guys more for Christopher Lasch; newer, better, faster. None of that old school stuff…

Best regards, J

Thanks for the pic and info. I'm not sure who "Christopher" is or what "arf" is, but I'm sure I'll find out as I get more experienced.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:29:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
These are shops i found from a search on AK dealers in our area. Thought they might give you an opportunity to go and handle some since most places around here do not have them on the rack. Although i don`t own an AK yet either, i believe i have pretty much decided to go with the SAM7. Good luck, and thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge it has been a very big help as usual.

<snip>

Thanks for the references Gilmore,

As you know there isn't much to offer around here so I have to order online. I might head over to Niceville and see what he has! I'm pretty much leaning towards a SAM 7S too unless somebody convinces me otherwise.

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
There is a guy that I deal with in Niceville, (ok, I get around!)that isn't listed above.  Super nice guy, met him at a show in FtWalton a couple years back. I will get his contact info when I get home tonight.

Also there are some board members from another board that are pretty active in that AO.

Thanks RotDorn,

I actually just moved to the area and am just starting to network. I joined a local shooting range and will be going to a CCW class this weekend. I would be glad to know of any other AK enthusiasts, or just good gun guys you might recommend, in the area. And if you ever get down this way drop me a note. I'll buy ya a beer and show off my new toy which I'm sure I'll have by then thanks to you folks...

Btw, which other board are you referring to? The AK-net? I joined them too and they are very helpful as well. I haven't met any armed philosophers like you there though. But they seem like nice guys nevertheless.

As always, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#43]
hey montag,

do yourself a favor and head over here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=92&t=172516

to get a 75rd drum for $60(shipped) to fit on that sam-7s.

i just received mine last night, and their seperate badass levels create some kind of badass supernova when combined.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
hey montag,

do yourself a favor and head over here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=92&t=172516

to get a 75rd drum for $60(shipped) to fit on that sam-7s.

i just received mine last night, and their seperate badass levels create some kind of badass supernova when combined.

Thanks for the head's up Twist!

I went to the thread but didn't see a website address. I sent Ronnin45 a IM and Email. Hopefully he'll get it and still have drums...

Thanks again...
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#45]
AR-15 = AR-Fifteen  = ARF

If you enjoy reading Philosophy you might like Christopher Lasch. He’s more of a “light” read, but very provocative. Still really heavy for me, much easier than Kant though.

J
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hello Mbsk01,

Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I needed to see. While I do like the black polymer "Terminator" look, I also like the elegant "we'll quote shakespeare then kill you" furniture look too. This would give me the best of both worlds.

Which k-var blond furniture kit would apply? I hope the furniture shown is not one of those "color is not representative of what you may receive." I'd hate to think I'd be getting some blond furniture kit and receive something totally different.

Thanks again for the link!

I would go with either of the $99 sets, if you plan on changing the furniture much, since they come with a gas tube. If you don't plan on changing it much, the cheaper set will do.

Between the 2 $99 sets, the only difference is whether or not you want a vented gas tube. K-var's pics are usually pretty good about being a fair representation of what you will receive.

1 other point to consider before you swap out furniture, is whether or not it's legal to do so. Someone else may know off hand, but I don't right now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Anybody know what the difference is between a SA M-7S and an SLR-101SB?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Anybody know what the difference is between a SA M-7S and an SLR-101SB?

SLR is a converted single stack magazine receiver. SLR doesn't have provisions for a cleaning rod under the barrel.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top