Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/19/2003 8:29:56 AM EDT
Choices are
7.62x39 SAR1
5.45x39 SAR2
7.62x39 VEPR

anyone have any or all of these as I would like this to be my one and only AK, I have enough firearms to feed a small army now, not that its a bad thing but the range of calibers I keep is out of hand

price is not the issue
I would like to know your thoughts on each caliber...things like accuracy, hitting power, things like that.your opinions please pros and cons, recoil-not a big issue though, good and bad ammo to avoid and to definitely have-whats that silver bear ammo match style with the nipple all about.

things I want to add.I want to AK74ize it somewhat
KVAR furniture prob green or black
AK74 type muzzle brake
scope not sure which though
is the furniture on the VEPR compatible with KVAR stuff
eventually upgrade the FCG
help before I spend money on the wrong thing
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:16:15 AM EDT
Well, right now I can only speak for the SAR-1 because it is the only AK I own right now, With that being said, it is a wonderful little rifle that is extremely cheap to shoot and customize.

All the things that you listed for what you want to add are all no problems on an SAR-1. I got my K-Var synthetic on mine, which requires minimal fitting and drilling.

Also, I am collecting an abundance of magazines for much cheaper than what would cost in 5.45. I have 10 40 rounders on the way for $75, and have gotten 2 drums for $118. And drums, which aren't available in 5.45, and those are an absolute hoot to shoot. Not to mention ammo is usually $20 cheaper per 1k in 7.62, which equates to more shooting time for me.

So, IMO, I would either get the SAR-1 or the VEPR, just because of the availability of cheap mags, drums, and ammo.

However, you should handle and fire each type if you can, and just pick which one feels the best to you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:43:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:04:05 PM EDT
Since you are spending $500 either way, mod a SAR or leave a VEPR alone...
From those 3, my first choice is to get the 7.62x39 VEPR and do nothing to it but maybe drill some vent holes in the front handguard.

Otherwise I say get a Bulgy 74 kit from FAC, start collecting US parts, and choose a top builder. RSA fcg, and KVAR stock set fix you well on US parts. Get the wood Bulgy kit, sell the furniture to someone to upgrade their SAR. Get a stack of mags while you are at it :)

13 calibers, and my Bulgy 74 build is my favorite
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:28:34 PM EDT
Since the SAR2 supply appears to be drying up, if you really want one the time might be now to jump in head first. From what I've read, AIM Surplus has the last of Century's supply--that is if they haven't sold out.

I have AK's in 7.62, 5.56, and 5.45 and have to admit I enjoy shooting all three calibers, but the 5.45x39 is truly distinctive.(for all the reasons already mentioned)

If my info is still valid, AIM had the SAR2's at $269, add your ffl fee and that's quite a good deal.

Get your mags from RPB, $5 a piece or pick up a couple of the mag pouch deals from somewhere--just be sure they include the goodies (stripper clips! another great aspect of the 5.45 variant!)
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:16:27 AM EDT
should i make a poll here?
how do you do that
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:55:14 AM EDT
Pick your caliber first, then pick the gun.
Top Top