Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/7/2003 9:07:35 AM EDT
I know this has been talked about a couple of weeks ago....but I've been away for awhile....

I know there was discussion about the pros and cons of the AMD rifle.....

I think it looks pretty damned wicked, but I just can't come to grips with the standard folding stock it comes with....hideously ugly comes to mind....

What are you guys doing?  Anyone putting kits together?  I saw them listed for $119 but heard they went up to $149......

I spoke to InRange and found out that they are the only ones currently producing the barrel extension to bring the overall barrel length (plus the muzzle brake) to legal specifications.

Has anyone considered a different buttstock assembly?  FSE Fixed Stock?  Side Folder in the fixed position?  ACE Side Folder in the fixed position?  or no stock at all???

Is there anything else I missed in previous discussions???

Let's talk....

KF

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I did the AMD-65 look to my SAR-2 without the folding stock. This might help you with your ideas.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=57061
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in Cheaper Than Dirt last week buying some shotgun shells and I looked over thier AMD-65 kits. The one I looked at were pretty good looking. I think the importer musta refinished the parts. I was thinking along the lines of a AK pistol, Sept next of course. I would have to replace that no handguard third-degree-burn-waiting-to-happen gas tube. It would be the perfect Truck gun.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I did the AMD-65 look to my SAR-2 without the folding stock. This might help you with your ideas.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=57061

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an AMD-65 with a barrel extension and the East German folder - damn nice rifle, very accurate, and the folder was spot-on.  Much better than the original.

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Krink,

I have been thinking of one too.
Seems to me i saw a similar Hesse (cough) version with a 16 OAL barrel in SOG or Century Arms flyer this month.
Clearview has them for $149 in the summer 2003 flyer. My goal would be to see if i can build one as inexpensively (and keep the quality good)
as possible.  Who makes a good receiver for a project like this??
Might have a line on a MAK-90 for a project too.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:22:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a dewatt (American GI in Germany, legal here)of the AMD-65

One of my favorite AKs. I have also played with some live ones. The folding stock is not as flimsy as it looks. Its actually pretty solid.
As far as looks, I would rather have something that looks like it's military counterpart (as much as the law allows)then some some mixed rifle. I plan on grafting the parts from this onto a Hungarian SA-85 when I return.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:56:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder what the velocity loss is compared to a 16" bbl?
Chromed bbl for blasting?
Otherwise looks fun!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:10:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been eyeballing them at AIM. I just don't know about $600 complete though. I agree that while the stock might be sturdy, it is FUGLY as hell. I think I'd rather have an underfolder if I am going to spend that kind of coin.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:44:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I sure love the AMD-65 Greywolf sold me. Lite, accurate and nasty, nasty looking. The folder is solid as a rock although it slaps me in the face when I shoot. I added a grey Hungarian sling (right I think for the rifle) and a Bulgarian rubber butt stock pad from K-VAR to the little beastie. It's my favorite AK. I might have to ask Troy about that extension for the snake brake or have someone machine a 4" copy........that would be great!  
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I am planning on building an AMD-63 version from my kit with a buttstock instead of a folder. I already have an AMD-65 and it shoots well but the folder is really hard on my shoulder. I am also trying to figure out how to put a sling attachment point on the rear of the receiver because the foward grip alone is not enough to hold onto when shooting. I think I am going to use an AK-74 style muzzle brake  on the AMD-63 when I finally get it done becase the snake brake doesn't do enough to control muzzle rise. I really feel sorry for anybody who tried to shoot one full auto.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#13]
jimmy....I realy "thinnn Rickie" the issue here is a "fun, nasty little gun", so what if your face hurts?............ya had fun buckoooo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Personally after having fired Chinese, Russian, East German, Romanian, and hungarian side folders- I think the Chinese, Russian, Hungarian, Romanian, then East German are in this order for comfort for me.

I plan on buliding one of these and a few others when I get the cash together.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Hozer, tell that to the bruise on my shoulder. Your right though, it's a fun gun to shoot and the looks I get from other shooters is worth a little pain.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top