Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/2/2003 6:53:39 PM EDT
You have no clue what an AK is...  Its true.  I'm an AR guy.  I have no understanding AT ALL what an AK is and what it can do.  I DO know rifles.  I know 7.62x39s.  But my friend wants to buy an AK.  He wont even look at another model. He is looking to me to guide him to the right configuration.  So here I am, asking anyone to give some advise on what a newbie should purchase in order to receive the best AK experience at a good price.  What should he stay away from?  What vender should he use to purchase this rifle?
Can you give me the "inside skinny" on the latest "performence" models?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Currenyly, in the classic caliber (7.62X39) the best choice seems to be a laminated SAR-1 from Aim Surplus.

Highly regarded as the BEST bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You really can't go wrong with any AK variant (except perhaps Hesse ).  It basically boils down to aesthetics.  The SAR series of AK's is definitely the best bang for the buck, but the fit, finish, and workmanship leaves a little to be desired sometimes (although I found a very nice one at the gunshow today).  You have to look carefully for straight gas blocks, straight front sights, etc and even then it's not so much about function as it is about looks.  The effort pays off in that you can get a functional AK for less than $400.  In the world of AK's, a higher price really doesn't get you anything more than a prettier rifle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Also stay away from Global Trades unless you want a rifle that doesn't work and customer service that is horrible.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had pretty good luck recently with Globals customer service.

The nice thing about SAR-1's is you can customize them just like you can an AR-15. They are heavily supported by the aftermarket and the eastern block contries. Scopes, sights, furniture, etc...what ever your heart desires.

good luck in your search
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I second or third the SAR-1 reccomendation.  I've had mine three years, 5k+ rounds and have actually cleaned it twice.  In AKs more money does not buy you a better shooter.  Also tell your friend not to buy pricy mags, the ones going used for $9 should work just fine.  Steel AK mags don't really seem to wear out.  

If he's only concerned about looks and does not mind the useless 2 extra pounds, the SA M7 is also a very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
ConLima, we don't have any price guidance and that makes things a little tough.

Mbsk01, suggests an SAR-1 and that's roughly $300. and you can customize the weapon from there - or not.

At the top of the postban heap are the Krebs AK's and they run from roughly $800 to $1100.

Another very nice AK is the SAM-7 or SAM-7S (With scope rail).

(An AK does not have to be in 7.62X39 and some good choices are not.)
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to just add my vote. Get a SAR 1 $320 . And for alittle more a SAM 7S ($600 ) OR a SLR 101S Modified  ( $500 ) . From what I can tell there little difference between a SAM 7 and SLR 101 . Only thing I can see is no cleaning rod holder on the SLR. Really don't think you can go wrong woth any of the above mentioned.WD  
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]

I've had mine three years, 5k+ rounds and have actually cleaned it twice

You have GOT to be kidding!  Is this normal?  I can't run 80 rounds through my AR without getting worried about buildup!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I once ran 3K rounds through my SAR-2 (5.45x39 version of the SAR-1) without any cleaning. Rifle didn't even notice the dirt . . . absolutely no difference in function.  

The AK is the most reliable personal weapon on Earth - excepting your fists :^)

Disconnector
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Either an SAR-1 or SAR-2. And I'll tell you who to call, too. If they still have them, you'll love the price.

SARCO.

Look up their ad in Shotgun News. Their phone # is on the ad somewhere.

I was looking for an SAR-2 a few weeks ago. Called a bunch of places, only 3 or 4 had them. And everyone except SARCO wanted like $330 for them. Thats before shipping.

SARCO was $274.50 plus $15 shipping.

And the SAR-2 I got looked so good that I dont want to mess with the wood. My SAR-1 got the "truck bedliner stock job", but this one got a little bit of steel wool to smooth out a couple rough spots, and thats it. Its stayin just like that.

I havent gotten a chance to fire it yet, which sucks, but we'll see if I cant rectify that tomorrow.

Call SARCO first. Ask if they've got them, if so they will put one on hold for you, in your FFL's name (if you give it to them, and they have it on file), for up to a week. Thats what I did to guarantee that there would still be one when I cashed my paycheck and sent the order in.

Oh, and the order was snailmailed on a Saturday, they sent the rifle out on Thursday, and UPS got it to me on Monday. Dont know if my having put one on hold had anything to do with this, but it was pretty fast service.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:21:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You have GOT to be kidding!  Is this normal?  I can't run 80 rounds through my AR without getting worried about buildup!

Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.  I like and respect my firearms too much to go long without cleaning as well as the desire to protect my investment.  (Those I don't like don't stay around long.)

Since meeting up with this 'sorry' crowd, I've bought seven AK's with six of them used.  All six of the used had been properly cleaned and cared for.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You've got to be kidding, mine gets a good cleaning every 1k rounds and in between just a quick run with a bore snake and some clp here and there. Hell the ak is 2k rounds(will be more after work today) since it's been cleaned last. But than again it's in the middle of a semi tourcher test. I'd agree with the SAR-1 if your boy wants one in 7.62x39. I havw a WASR forgot the number and i don't like it as much as I like my friends SAR-1.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a couple AK's. The SAR-1 is the best value right now. That's probably what I would buy starting out. I replaced the trigger in mine with an RSA & added an Ironwood stock set. It's the bottom one in this picture. The top one is a Bulgarian one w/Ironwood. They are nicer but cost about twice as much money.

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Did anyone say Sar1 yet? hahahha, check out this link for good info on AK's and the Sar1.

linx310.nothingbutguns.com/

I just put 500rds thru my Sar1 Saturday, not one hiccup. Had my 1st 2 stoppages in the Rock River out of 500rds we put through it that same day. Though they didn't happen when I was shooting it.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Have him get a nice chinese rifle.

$100 more and he can have a nice pistol gripped post ban rifle.

Chinese have a decent finish, great trigger pull, no canted gas blocks or any of that sar crap.

Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Your the one kidding right?  What you buy a Hesse?

Shoot I just did two 3 day tactical courses with my ARs.  Only ran 600-700 rounds each course (no cleaning).  My buddies and I have gone over 1000 rounds w/o cleaning - no problems (heck F4YR ran 1200 rounds in one morning with no problems).  Lets not even get into Troy's year long torture test...
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I should mention, I had put 2500rds thru my AR w/o cleaning before I got my 1st failure to eject after rapid firing those last 500rds.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I call bullshit.  Each of you needs to send me your rifle and I will personally test each and every one of them.  I'll even pay for return postage......I swear.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#20]
What do you know about the VEPR rifle?  From what I hear it is a modern 7.62 pig rifle that is very accurate.  Anyone know of a good price for this firearm?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#21]
The ammo you use will greatly affect your minimum rounds between cleaning.  In handloads with clean powder, a thousand might not be impossible in an AR.

AR's tend to be a "make this just right, and that just right, and the speed of this just a certain way" about cycling.  It seems with the AK the philosophy was "Just cycle the damned action".
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#22]
If you cant put 80 rounds without a problem through your AR you definatly got a garbage rifle. I shoot over 1000 per range trip with no probs.

If it was a typo and you meant your sAR-1 then you have it even worse. It should shoot damn near forever.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
a thousand might not be impossible in an AR.

I've done that with dirty Wolf ammo.

With decent ammo - Like Q3131A its much-much more.
Troy ran his 7K rounds, Denmark ran their C7A1s to 15,000 round during trials.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I also IMHO think it's FOOLISH to do that to a rifle as $$ as an AR.  But it's your money :)

Problem with an AK (if it is a problem) is when you blow out the throat (normally an accuracy-degrading thing) how can you tell without looking?  Probably doens't make your average AK much less accurate.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I also IMHO think it's FOOLISH to do that to a rifle as $$ as an AR.  But it's your money :)

WTF?  You spend all that $$ on a military grade weapon and you don't think it can handle a little reliability test?

Darn its not like the rifle will explode or wear out.

Its a freaking rifle not a crystal vase!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top