Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/30/2003 11:49:35 AM EDT
 Guys I have a beautiful, Bulgie 74 built on a OOW reciever. I was hoping this would be my go to rifle next to my M14. But it has turned out to be pain in the A$$. My builder did a great job.He's not at fault. The OOW reciever is not holding up.The dern ejector seems to be wearing down, and In having more fail to ejects than ejects. What it appears is the ejector is not long anough ,as in going into the slot on the bolt deep anough to reliably hit the spent case.It  barely hits the case. What are my options out there to get a quality reciever to put in its place. I love this rifle but my Dasiy BB gun is more reliable. Is there a Milled reciever out there for my 74???? Or a Quality Foreign made stamper eciever.No I don't want to spend $500 for a reciever, But this $70 reciever is crapping out. I know I could call OOW and talk to them but at this point I don't want a replacement or fix.I want to get a extremly reliable AK 74 reciever. I guess Im fustrated over this being I have praboly $550 in this rifle already. Sorry for the rant,WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
FEGs are nice but $200 if you find one. I hear that Global is tooling up to make these in the US next year.
I ain't no Campy, but I suspect that welding up the ejector tab bigger is your best short-term option.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If its just the ejector thats crapping out it may be built up with weld. or replaced with new rails.. but I understand how you feel about the rest of the receiver. Consider buying a SAR-2, and selling off the parts you don't want. The SARS maybe a little ugly but the Ramain parts in them are good. ugly r
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The Firing Line sells milled 74 Receivers.

www.angelfire.com/ok3/firingline/index.html

[edit] Cause i suck at code.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
What a bunch of rapists!  $345 for a Bulgie 74 parts kit?!?!?!?!?!  WTF, we all paid around $160 for them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Firing Line sells milled 74 Receivers.

www.angelfire.com/ok3/firingline/index.html

[edit] Cause i suck at code.

Just spoke with Ward at The Firing Line.  They do build a milled receiver for the AK-74.  Price for the fixed stock receiver is $300, for the under folder $400 and they're preparing to build a milled receiver for the side-folder and that price is to be announced.

They charge $200 to do a build.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just spoke with Ward at The Firing Line.  They do build a milled receiver for the AK-74.  Price for the fixed stock receiver is $300, for the under folder $400 and they're preparing to build a milled receiver for the side-folder and that price is to be announced.

Where would you even get milled AK-74 parts? I mean I'm sure the stamped parts would work but it just seems like a strange hodgepodge of manufacturing.  Plus who wants a heavy 74?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
How many rounds? I just put togather a 47S on a OOW and after nearly a case I've had no problems.

Was it an older reciever?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll vouch for them being rough. But so are my gun building skills. :) See my post.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where would you even get milled AK-74 parts? I mean I'm sure the stamped parts would work but it just seems like a strange hodgepodge of manufacturing.  Plus who wants a heavy 74?

I believe the member asking about a milled AK-74 receiver was "WarDawg". Further I assume the WarDawg knows that milled receivers are heavier than stamped receivers.  So by logical extension I suppose WarDawg wants a heavy AK-74.

Interesting comment from the guy I talked to about having receivers with the proper hardness.  (Also let me note this guy had no idea why I was calling.)  Anyway, he said the ROMANIAN receivers were the best he had encountered so far as being properly hardened.  (In the conversation I never brought up anything about any receiver.)
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, so I'm sitting on 3 OOW AK-74 recivers at this moment - these are supposed to be my AK-74 Bulgy guns.

Should I be worried about anything, or should I trust ORF to take care of whatever issues there may be?

Should I get these hardened?  Will that solve these issues?

Where would I take these (local) or send these (via an FFL) to get hardened?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
OK, so I'm sitting on 3 OOW AK-74 recivers at this moment - these are supposed to be my AK-74 Bulgy guns.

Should I be worried about anything, or should I trust ORF to take care of whatever issues there may be?

Should I get these hardened?  Will that solve these issues?

Where would I take these (local) or send these (via an FFL) to get hardened?

I've just purchased but have not received an AK-74 built on an OOW receiver and I too am wondering ??

kythri, these folks have answered many, many questions for me and I've done a good bit of reading on my own.  Further, there was a long topic on the subject of properly hardened receivers which I read.  However, for the first time I left that topic not really understanding the receiver hardening answer.  I still don't understand.

Maybe "bulletslap" has got it right above - buy an SAR-2 and sell off the parts other than the receiver ??   Damn the cost and buy a FEG receiver ??  Maybe the OOW's are fine ??  (I said I didn't know the answer !!)

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:00:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#14]
What about on an existing gun, won't they have to completely disassemble it to harden it and then reassemble?  Seems to me that would cost considerably more than letting it ride until it warps and if needed buy a new receiver, have it heat treated and then pay for a reassemble.

Wasn't Troy pretty adamant that heat treating the entire receiver was not necessary and could damage it by making it too brittle?
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How many rounds? I just put togather a 47S on a OOW and after nearly a case I've had no problems.

Was it an older reciever?

Reb, I have about 300 rnds through it. It functioned fine for the first 60-80 rnds.Flawless is my memory. Then it started to not eject a bout 3 rnds per 30rnd mag. I called my builder and he said for me to send it back and he would take a look at it and correct it 100% .I did ask is there anything I can do before sending it back.He told me to wrap the reciever with a piece of leather or equivilent, and lightly squeeze with a big pair of channel locks.And said if I didn't feel comfortable doing that to send it back. I tried it and it did get the ejector deeper like it needed to be.But then the rails was alittle tight and I lightly filed then so the bolt would slide through them.It fired fine for the next 200+ rounds.And now is giving up alittle. Either the reciever is relaxing and bowing or the tab is wearing. I can see the tab worn down somewhat, best to my eye anyhow. I bought the reciever I guess 9 months ago from OOW. I have a SAR 2 and have 1200 rnds through it and the tab looks almost untouched.It also appears to be a thicker tab also. The action on the Bulgie 74 rifle is extremly smooth. I love the rifle and hate the reciever.Damn wished I would have spent more on a FEG.Well Im going to stick it in the back of the gunsafe for a while and maybe with income tax money refund I can find a good reciever to replace it and have a AK smith replace it. A sick feeling is haveing the most reliable designed rifle and it being unreliable.I don't like having a rifle I can't trust.Thanks for hearing my rant guys...WD
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#16]
For those of you who want to use a Rommy receiver, remember that the Rommies used 23mm trunions.  If you use a Bulgy kit, you either have to send it to a manufacturer (I thinks its class 2) to have the serial number moved to the receiver and then have the trunion replaced with the bulgy trunion or do some work to sleeve the barrel into the Rommy trunion.  Both of which have been done before.

Wardog, take your gun to someone with a mig welder and add material to the end of the ejector.  Make sure there is more on all sides than you need.  Take your sar-2 apart and use it as a guide to what the ejector should look like and dremmel/grind the extra material off.  Make sure the ejector is long enough so it fits as tight to the bolt without binding it.  When you are done with shaping, hand cycle it to make sure and if you are happy with it, take off the buttstock and trigger group.  Now take a torch (like one of those small oxy/mopp gas kits from Lowes or somewhere) and heat the tip of the ejector in a circular pattern to distribute the heat.  Keep the flame away from the rails and walls of the receiver.  When it gets cherry red, quickly qwench it in a 5 gal pail of oil.  This will harden it.  I did this to my Hesse receiver and it has lasted just like new for 500rnds so far.

Brick
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What about on an existing gun, won't they have to completely disassemble it to harden it and then reassemble?  

Just as you already suspect that answer is YES.  I did ask the guy at Firing Line just to be sure.  Roughly $200 for the new build plus the cost of the new receiver.

From a previous topic I seem to remember some guy in Florida selling FEG receivers for something like $230.  Maybe buying an SAR-2 and scavenging is worth considering.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Hrmm.

OK, in that respect - how far do I go in this?

I'm assuming there are different levels of hardness?

Should I take the receiver stub connected to the buttstock for them to measure it's hardness, or how do I go about doing this?

Also, what do I need to watch/look-out for, in regards to temporarily transferring my receivers to someone, if they aren't an FFL/gunsmith?
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Wait a minute!!! I just spent premium $ to get a 74 from one of the more respected builders (Bulgy kit, OOW reciever). I noticed that the fit and finish is pretty trashy compared to my Poly Legend but, that is perhaps an unreasonable comparison. Installing the RSA trigger was a bit of a nightmare compared to how easily everything slid into place in my Legend. Again, perhaps an unfair comparison.

But now ya'll are telling me that to have a properly functioning gun over the long term I'm going to have to:

A: Take the whole damn thing apart and have the reciever heat treated

or

B: Cough up for a whole new reciever?

Why do I have this very bad feeling in my stomach?
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Wait a minute!!! I just spent premium $ to get a 74 from one of the more respected builders (Bulgy kit, OOW reciever). I noticed that the fit and finish is pretty trashy compared to my Poly Legend but, that is perhaps an unreasonable comparison. Installing the RSA trigger was a bit of a nightmare compared to how easily everything slid into place in my Legend. Again, perhaps an unfair comparison.

No, your kit gun should be *nicer* than a Chinese rifle.  That's why we pay a premium to have custom rifles built.  Who assembled it?

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 3:19:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Guys, I can't remember who mentioned it above BUT. Only the original manufacturer or importer can move markings. Just because I'm a C2 dosen't mean I can move someone elses markings. The "boy wonder" was bad about doing this to make his builds easier. That is my take on it from talking to the tech branch.

Campy, I'm glad we can disagree and not have to worry about getting banned. I love you anyway.

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 3:29:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top