Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/23/2003 1:34:29 PM EDT
This has probably been covered, but..

If I purchased an NHM-90 in '93 and put a standard stock and birdcage flash hider before the '94 AWban went into effect is it legal?
As I understand it the standard stock and muzzle attachments were removed only to allow import before the '94 ban. There was no law requiring a thumbhole stock once it was here. I may well be wrong so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not familiar with bardwell's site, would you happen to have a URL?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
It would only have been legal if you had replaced the neccesary amount of foreign parts with US-made ones, but since few US-made AK parts existed in 93, It's not a likely scenario.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I had thought that prior to the '94 ban the MAK's and the NHM's were altered to allow importation but that there was no restriction on returning them to original once they were here. After '94 is when I thought the parts count thing started. I had thought I had heard of some coming in with their original stocks in the same box,
I could easily be mistaken in this, just trying to get it all straight.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, per what I understand, after the import ban an imported/foreign rifle became limited in it's evil features, so adding them after importation would be illegal. The parts count decides whether or not the rifle is considered US-made or foreign made.  If you could add the neccasary parts, and thus make the rifle technically US made, then you can have features which are allowed on US made rifles.  This would all have to happen prior to the 94 ban.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok.  let me wade in here.

THere are 2 laws that must be considered:

In '89 there was a "ban" on IMPORTING rifles ruled "nonsporting"  - read military semi autos that looked mean.  Eg., AK's Fal's, H&K's.

These FORIEGN made rifles were not allowed to be imported in there standard form - get rid of the EVIL features - pistol grips, folding stocks, flash hiders, etc. and they were considered "SPORTING".  So foreign rilfes had to meet this new requirement to get imported.

IF

The rifle had enough US made parts, it was considered a US made rifle and could have EVIL features since it was no longer a foreign made gun.  That is until '94 when the AWB was passed.

In effect, while your rifle was made before the ban.  It is a nonimportable rifle in its current configuration unless you used enough US made parts to get around the Foriegn make requirement.

And yes others that tried the same have been prosecuted by the feds for assembling and selling "nonimportable" firearms.

Hope that helps.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top