Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/22/2003 7:53:32 PM EDT
Got a friend who is interested in one of these shotguns. Anyone got one and how good is it?

Review here:
club.guns.ru/eng/saiga12.htm
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:39:22 AM EDT
I built a custom MP-5 sized entry gun through a gunsmith friend of mine with a Class 3 Mfr license. I can tell you that if you hack the barrel any shorter than 10" it wont cycle anything short of #4 buck or standard slugs. I ended up pinning a ported barrel extension to my contraption and took it home with me, and it cycles again just fine. I pust a shortened ATI Druganov stock with a nice Whiteline recoil pad on it and its turned into quite a fantastic competition shotgun. Out of the box my complaints were the queer spongy trigger, the buttstock, and the ugly quasi-sporting fore-end (like a checkered wood stock on a M2HB, no amount of civilian clothes will make it anything but a combat weapon).

In order to improve the trigger and get around the no-pistol-grip-on-a-shotgun I went to the ATI stock, which in the end was incredibly comfortable and felt more natural than the original. Fixing the trigger was as simple as knocking off the original trigger guard and floorplate, redrilling the rivit holes, and putting the guard back on over the hole left by the removal of the floor plate. Removing the Saiga trigger linkage and dropping in a US made AK trigger group finished that issue, and the fore-end was managed by taking a zetyl handguard for a Remington 870, cutting a channel through the top with a hack-saw, and tapping it on over the gas-block so it sleeves the barrel. A few relief cuts and my tac-light mounts nicely under it and anchors it steadily in place.

The vent-rib sights are OK, I cut my own ghost-rings out of small eye-bolts and made my own sight ears from some odd bits floating about.

I also made up a sight rail that fits in place of the iron sights for a red dot, but I'm having some trouble anchoring the rail to the adaptor bar.

All in all....they're great shotguns depending on what you want them for. With about $100 work they're great tactical shooters, a fair match for a Benelli or a Remington riot gun. Mags go for about $10 per if you can find the right outfitter. I bought eight and got a discount.

Reb Gray
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:41:36 AM EDT

Mags go for about $10 per if you can find....

where are you shopping???? cheapest i have seen them was $18.99, now they are like $20
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:08:41 AM EDT
You just have to look. Right now the price has gone up, but new shipments come in all the time, just be on your toes when one does.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:47:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RebelGray:
You just have to look. Right now the price has gone up, but new shipments come in all the time, just be on your toes when one does.

Oh joy... via the net or some local source????

I've got one and love it. Granted, I wish I had the one w/ removable choke tubes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:27:21 PM EDT
You can put Dragunov-type stocks on these legally? That doesn't sound right to me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:17:17 PM EDT
Kaliburz-
CDNN had a great deal on them for a while. Check out forums.saiga-12.com. I think I had a post to where they were found for $10/per a while back. The Saiga is a fantastic shotgun, very vesatile IMHO.

Ajer- <sighs> why do you own guns? Are they just toys to you or are they to offer a last line of defense against your liberty? If they're toys, send them to me, you're going to give them up with out a fight in the long run anyhow. If they're tools to defend your liberty, and you're willing to use them, dont sweat the AWB. I could make dozens of logical correlations between the AWB and the incrementalized beaurocratic tyranny that the American colonists of so long ago felt it OK to risk life and limb to rebel against, and how its realy pissing me off that so many "patriots" today are willing to give in to it w/o a fight because some beaurocrat threatens them. I could rant all night but I wont. Long story short yes, its legal. Its a thumbhole stock. You need not worry about your comfortable life should you decided to mount it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:44:11 PM EDT
OK...... why did you go on like that? I'm just wondering if it's legal or not. There are plenty of guns that can have legal pistol grips already, I'm not going to go out of my way to convert one that can't. According to current legislation, a "thumbhole" stock is now a pistol grip stock. It's stupid, it's pointless, but that's how they made it. If it were any other way we could put thumbhole stocks on our AKs and then have threaded barrels, flash-hiders, etc. I value my right to bear arms but I'm not going to throw away all of my rights over a feature that neither adds too, or detracts from the lethality of a weapon.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:21:46 AM EDT
Saiga-12. Out-friggin-standing combat shotgun. Perfectly serviceable as it is, but if/when the AWB goes away, I plan on adding a pistol grip and a folding stock. The only real gripes I have are the trigger pull (yuck!) and the sights (I'd like a nice ghost ring or something). Marc Krebs has offered to do a trigger job on mine, and fit a modified AK-74 front sight tower and top-cover AR-style peep sight. If I choose to go that route, the Saiga will become my HD shotgun and the 11-87P will be history. It's that good!

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:17:34 PM EDT
I have the 19" Defense version. Only fired it once but it was totally reliable with 00 buck and slugs. Nice gun for the price, and I love the idea of easy reloads via a detachable magazine as opposed to "speed feeders".
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 4:10:36 AM EDT
pictures!!! in the name of all that is holy, PICTURES!!!
Top Top