Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/14/2003 8:24:01 PM EDT
Just got a big hit on my AK-74 and I'm thinking of some long range firepower to replace it.

Local shop has a very nice .308 cal AK with a very long barrel, 24" I think. They want $450-550 for it IIRC, and it looks like it'd be a good basis for a nice long range "battlefield" sharp shooter rifle ala the Druganov.

On the other hand those FPL's that Inter Ord is trying to pass off as the "SSG97" are plenty cheap and would require a minimum of fooling around with, maybe a trigger job, etc...

So what say the powers that be? If I were to get the Saiga/Veper I'd want the M14 magwell conversion. Are these still done? If so what kind of tag on them?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:00:24 AM EDT
If 20rnd M14 mags still work in M14s after the AK mod (therefore fully legal), that's my likely first choice. The FPL/Romak 3 is nice, and I expect the supply of milsurp 10cent 54r to be better than cheap .308. But cleaning corrosive ammo from a gas gun is less fun. I am aware of suffering-accuracy posts when the Romak 3's skinny bbl heats up but have no comparative numbers. I suspect Ross to chime in..
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:42:42 AM EDT
You know me oh too well.

Mags are the big drawback right now for us Romak-3/SSG-97 owners. It comes with a ten roudn and a five round, and nobody has any extras for sale. You can find them kicking around, but not like a real source. So a gun with two mags is a real drawback if you're thinking "serious use".

K-var is trying to get more in, so we'll see.

I've been looking long and hard at the M-14 conversion for the Vepr/Saiga. I've heard all sorts of stuff as to what has to be done, who can do it, how well it works, and all of it adds up to unreliable information. It all contradicts each other, and it's all "I heard on the net" crap. It can be done, but that's all I know. Until I'm satisfied that I know what the truth is, I'm not going to try it, and I'm not going to speculate on how good it is.

It would be a great thing for me, as I have many M-14 mags (none of which are for sale) that I bought when they were $7/each. As I have an M1A and a Poly/TRW M14, I'm not needing to look for a use for them. But having a .308 AK that took M-14 mags would be the perfect BFG for me.

I have a Red Star trigger group in my Romak-3 and it's great. I'm fairly confident that the RSA stuff fits in the Vepr as well.

I think the choice boils down to either a 7.62x54 or a .308. For practical applications, the guns are just big AKs, so there isn't really going to be much difference in how they work or anything. You'll probably be able to get better accuracy with store bought .308, but if you reload then either round will be equal in performance out of an AK platform.

The mag question is the deciding factor for me. If K-var comes through, I'm buying mags...lots of mags. If I can figure out what the M14 conversion really entials, then I'm probably going to go with one of those as well, as I don't have to buy any mags for it.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:37:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:36:54 AM EDT
I'll throw in my 2 cents.I love my dads PSL. With the RSA trigger group and 8X scope is is a tack driver for an AK. We have gotten it down to about 1 inch or slightly more at 100 meters with Yugo surplus.

We have found vericle stringing to be bad if you over heat the barrel, BUT, remember, it is not made to be a battle rifle. It is made for a few well aimed rounds at a time, then some cool down time as you move to another position, the attack succeds, fails, or you withdrawl.

If you use it as a battle rifle, you are not useing it for the reason it was made, and it will not give you the results you want.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:12:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/15/2003 7:13:19 PM EDT by MRW]
i have both the 308 Vepr and original Saiga, and I love them both. The 10 round mag limit is not an issue for me because as was stated above, these rifles are made to be slow fire marksman weapons. The Vepr would be my top choice IF the mags weren't $40 apiece. It has better ergonomics and trigger system. However, the Saiga gives up nothing to the Vepr in terms of accuracy or reliability. Its advantages are that it is about half price for both the gun and mags, and the drawback is the goofy trigger system, but I think it's manageable. If I were to have to duck out of the door with one right now I'd take the Saiga 'cause I have more mags for it and I'm less inclined to "baby" it because it's less expensive.

I would gladly buy a Romak 3 if I had $800 laying around...

donations welcome!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:05:23 PM EDT
Its a Hesse stamped Saiga with a heavy 24" bbl. Its got the original pistol grip setup and is as close to beautiful as an AK sporter could be...

I just wish I could stick a druganov flash hider on it....very sexy gun.

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:46:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MRW:
i have both the 308 Vepr and original Saiga, and I love them both. The 10 round mag limit is not an issue for me because as was stated above, these rifles are made to be slow fire marksman weapons. The Vepr would be my top choice IF the mags weren't $40 apiece. It has better ergonomics and trigger system. However, the Saiga gives up nothing to the Vepr in terms of accuracy or reliability. Its advantages are that it is about half price for both the gun and mags, and the drawback is the goofy trigger system, but I think it's manageable. If I were to have to duck out of the door with one right now I'd take the Saiga 'cause I have more mags for it and I'm less inclined to "baby" it because it's less expensive.

I would gladly buy a Romak 3 if I had $800 laying around...

donations welcome!

MRW,
I just bought an NIB SSG 97 from Inter Ordnance for $694.95.
Top Top