Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/7/2003 3:34:47 PM EDT

2003 Romak3, 7.62x54R caliber
Picked it up today, I love it to death. Ive got some more "artsy showoff" pics, but im too lazy to post them. Still havent wiped down the insides, never really did on my buddies SAR1 before we fired it. Whats your guys standard procedure on cleaning inside the receiver when you get a cosmolined rifle? Ive already cleaned the bore.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#2]
So should I just blast away, or clean that cosmoline outta there? I know most people clean it out, so ill probably end up doing that. Hell, a rag should do the trick!

No doorknob? Thats a closet :)

Roger that on the PSL title!

Ive got a case of czech silvertip begging me to go load it up and send it downrange!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#3]
AK's aren't very particular. I've used WD 40, Liquid Wrench, rubbing alcohol...sorta' whatever is handy.

As a side note...I got a couple of nasty old 91/30's ($55 for the two). The bore looked like there was something growing in it. It turned out to be very, very, very old cosmo. I got them to the point where they were safe to fire using "Bore Scrubber". I found the stuff in Wal Mart by the Hoppe's No.9. It is some evil smelling stuff, but it is a bit more effective than good ole' Hoppe's. I also found that wrapping steel wool into the bore brush helped a lot. Still, the last residue would not come out and the bore was quite dark. I would shoot a few rounds (so the bore was hot) an spray WD-40 down it, let it cool and clean it again with the steel wool impreganted brush. After a few times the bore in both guns looked bright and perfect.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I think a PSL counts as dark side material.  Drop an RSA trigger group in theat baby, stock up on silver tip ammo, and blast away (wipe cosmoline as needed).

You will like this rifle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont shoot heavy ball in it, you can damage it or so I have heard.  Enjoy your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Rag and some q-tips are fine. Add fresh lube to moving surfaces and fire away. Just take a rag to the range for what oozes from tight spots after firing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the vastly superior SSG 97 !  And I pick it up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
You get yours from IO too?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You get yours from IO too?

Yep !!  Had to wait for them to come in too.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Same here....was worth the wait for certain!

Now to just find more mags...
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah, mags are a definite problem.
I'm also looking for a recoil pad to attach to the buttstock in order to get a little more length.  You seen anything like that around ??
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#13]
""I'm also looking for a recoil pad to attach to the buttstock in order to get a little more length. You seen anything like that around ??""

Tapco has a $7 1" rubber extension for std AK buttstocks. No idea how it fits your stock model though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#14]
RS39, I have a spare 1 inch rubber butt pad for the Ak like you descibe.  If you want to try it out let me know.  I will get it to you Sunday.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, mags are a definite problem.
I'm also looking for a recoil pad to attach to the buttstock in order to get a little more length.  You seen anything like that around ??

dravisar, did you get the 6X or 8X scope with your rifle ??
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Subdude:

You are totally hooked.  Better Hold on to that Galil mag.  Next step is probably gonna be a real peice of IDF history.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Subdude:

You are totally hooked.  Better Hold on to that Galil mag.  Next step is probably gonna be a real peice of IDF history.

shotar, actually I've owned several Galil's but all were collector type guns and NIB.  I've probably owned at least a dozen Galil's over the years but have NEVER shot one !!

And yes, I'd say you're correct - I'm totally hooked !!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Sub: I got the 8x scope...its crystal clear, I love it. The russians sure make a weird focusing reticule though!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Before the new Wolf 145 grain came out, I shot the heavier loads in mine with no issues but some people have had damage occur.. Nice rifle indeed I just wish the mags were easier to come by...
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:09:19 AM EDT
[#20]
dravisar,  You're one lucky sob.  I ordered mine (May 2nd) with the 8x42, and IO shipped it with the 6x24 (picked up July 8).  Needless to say I was quited pissed especially after talking with IO several times and being told that I would definetley recieve it as ordered.  Well untill this gets fixed by IO at their cost I won't be picking up anything from them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:33:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I believe I got mine from AIM.. Hard to remember.
At the time I got two scopes with mine both 4x models. a PSO1 that was calibrated to 54R and the other which was calibrated to 39MM. I never could figure out why they gave me a scope calibrated to 39mm....

I never liked either of the 4x models so a quick call to Tantal. and I got the 8X model and the 3x9 model... Tantal did me a favor... I ordered the 3x9 model and I really did not like it at first so he sent me the 8x model.. I appreciated his efforts so much I purchased both in the end....

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top