Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/6/2003 4:46:13 PM EDT
since I don't know jack about AK's I'd like to know if a VEPR chambered in the traditional AK caliber (7.62x39, right?) is a good AK?

I tried to make sense out of all the other AK clones that are being made, but I gave up.  I'm an AR enthusiast, but the AK has always held my fancy.

So, can you guys just give me a quick rundown on what AK variant represents the BEST quality for the money?  Plus, I'd really like to know what you guys think abou the VEPR.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like the SARS need a little work?  Or do they work fine, but just don't "look nice?"

The Arsenal looks like they may be the best bet then...

VEPR's are heavy, huh?  Well, no sense in having to lug extra weight if the others are just as good and LIGHTER...

Thanks, CAMPYBOB...the AK GURU!
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Just how much are those AK's from the Arsenal going for?  I particularly like the CLASSIC...wow.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
VEPR and Arsenal are each about $550-650 depending of course on what you choose.
SAR QC gets better each year, but hand pick is still the way to go for straight sights and your choice of finish. They still work very well for $300.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
$600 for a good quality AK sure doesn't seem THAT bad considering how much current AR's are going for...but those SAR's sure sound tempting...
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I have owned an SAR-1 for about 3 years now and put many thousands of rounds of the cheapest ammo i could find downrange through it.  It has been updated with a redstar trigger group and mojo peep site for a total cost of about $400 in the rifle.  I have thought about buying a prettier ak, but then I pick up the Sar1 again and really see no practical reason to spend alot of money to replace something that already works just as well.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top