Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2003 6:47:13 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I have an AK USA AK-103 and it really does kick ass. I love the thing but there is one thing that still bothers me. The cleaning rod rattle rather badly. I've been playing with the idle of shimming it and all kinds of different ideas. I mean it is cosmetic only but I really don't want to tack weld it or anything tacky like that.

So i've been playing with the idea of cutting it out with bolt cutters (to reduce marrring on finish taking it out) and putting a new one from K-var in there to try to get one in there that isn't bent.

My rod looks to have just a slight bend in it just enough so it will rattle when its turned a certain way and I can feel it bind as I spin it in the holders but it doesn't bind enough to stay stuck like that.

I guess what i'm wanting to know is does anyone else have the bent cleaning rod problem?

AND

If I take this bend one out has anyone got a new rod in over the muzzle brake and had it not rattle/be straight after it was installed?

I know this rod was put on after refinishing and welding

I hope you guys understand. please ask away if you need more info or clarification

thanks
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just pry the thing up a little and slide it out. It will scratch the finish on the muzzlebrake very slighty, but no in a readily seen location. My Krebs already has a nice scuff there from a few furniture changes that required removing the rod.  I just consider it an acceptable wear point, like the selector scratch or the gastube retainer lever scratch.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I know I can get it out by prying it because it had to go in there that way. I would probably put a little tape on there or something to try to reduce scuffing when i put the new one in (if I did try to change them). Cutting it in pieces with a bolt cutter so I can pull it out easy is just a way to reduce the scuffing

The big question is... If i take this cleaning rod out will the new one I put in be able to be put in without bending it and have it permanently bent after I get it on the gun. The whole point is to get it so it doesn't rattle!

thanks
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I think it will definately not be bent after you put it in. Mine isn't bent after about 6-7 times in and out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
ok i'm thinking that mine was bent either before it went in or it was tweaked just a little too much to get it past the muzzle brake

I guess i'll order a new rod from K-Var and give it a shot
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#5]
SloV, don't waste your money.  If it bothers you that bad, take the rod out and figure out where it's bent and bend it a little more so it will stay tight.  Then buy a bore snake for cleaning it.

I have seen very few rods that weren't bent slightly if not more.

Brick
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Just toss the rod.  They are pretty much a waste of space.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Im guessing you have'nt shot this rifle yet huh? Your going to have a lot more wear and tear on the rifle from shooting it than you ever will from your cleaning rod.

I wouldnt "cut" the existing rod out. That seems a bit extreme. The finish on the rifle isnt THAT delicate.

If your really worried about it just put a piece of electrical tape over the part you want to protect and pry out the rod.

Then roll the rod on a smooth table top with the head hanging over the side, and locate the bend. Now just hit it with a hammer on the opposite side to correct. You dont have anything to lose if you plan on buying a replacement anyway.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]
As for stopping it from rattling I would use a little silcon in the hole in the handguard, then drill a hole in the silcon. That way you can press the rod in and get a tight fit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Pull the rod out, straighten it out on a flat surface as mentioned earlier. Slip a piece of tubing over the rod where it rattles and reinstall. Slip the tubing down into the mount to prevent the rattle.

mwolfe82 has the best idea with the silicone. After srtaightening the rod, reinstall, then if you don't plan on removing it for each cleaning session shoot alittle black silicone into the area between the cleaning rod and the mount.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top