Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/18/2003 8:09:01 PM EDT
Ok, a simple question: if a "Russian" AK-74 buttstock has a bottom mounted sling swivel, then it's not for real right?  Or is there a variation I'm not aware of?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
In my limited experience.....not for real.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The only way it is real, is that it was recently converted from left over Russian AKM stocks, and refinished. The finish will be more brown than typically seen. They make these for the Euro market MMG demill display guns (not legal in USA). So, yes, real russian bottom sling 74 stock IS possible, but just not as desireable as real AK-74 take off or original finish piece. The stock design was taken directly from AKM design, and technically, every AK-74 stock is an AKM stock for at least a few minutes before the grooves are cut ;)  Are you getting it from Russia? If not, be weary for fakes.
-C
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#3]
 I have a Sar2 and I bought a bulgarian AK74 buttstock to replace the Roumanian one. it was blond and I just darkened it to match the front wood which  also has a lower handguard with the pistol  grip set up:also original military. With the AAOK mjuzzle brake atached , the SAR2 looks pretty  much like a orignal AK74.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll see if I can link the pic...

I suspect a converted AKM stock, but a fairly well done one by the looks of it.  The comb of the stock looks pretty flat, and it has a proper buttplate.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Not the best pic, but my first thoughts are converted AKM stock in Russia too. I would have to know where it is coming from to make final judgement...
Lower handgaurd is for AKM, not AK-74, and upper HG, is the nasty 'Estonian' puke green finish.  Can't tell by the pic, but if the p-grip is red bakelite, you are good to go, but if it is dark plum plastic, it belongs on an AKS-74 folder or AKSU.
-C
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#6]
How much would a set like that be worth assuming those things are correct?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
keeping in mind I am a pretty serious collector (read: criminally insane) about $300 would be  great price, assuming all correct. I paid $286 recently JUST for the buttstock, without anything else (and, I already had a set!). This buttstock has been kinda the holy grail for AK collectors for years, and just recently a few have made it into the USA.
-C
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I was actually refering to the set pictured.  I might see if I can nab it for cheap with these things brought to light.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#9]
-Russian converted AK-74 buttstock, $50-$75
-bakelite or plum p-grip $25-30
-early style AKM lowr HG original finish $25
-Estonian green AK-74 upper HG $15

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Didn't the last AKM's made have side mounted rear sling swivels? I have a picture of a 1976 dated Izhevsk produced AKM with a side mounted swivel. The stock does not have the '74 cut though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
They did indeed.  The last pattern AKM stocks were the same stock as that on the AK-74, minus the lightening cuts.  The bottom mounted ones are more common however, which is why one would be used for a conversion.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Exactly-
-C
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top