Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/18/2003 4:55:07 PM EDT
Hey guys I have AK's in 7.62X39 and 5.45X39 . I Also have plenty of MBR's in .308  . So Im going to go with the .223 VEPR. Now Im unsure of the 16"  .The BIG plus is the shorter rifles easyer to manuver. What will I lose by getting the 4" shorter rifle. Isn't it like 70 FPS per inch????? That would be 280 FPS if im close. I plan on scopeing the rifle and target shoot with a Bipod attacked to the stock.The rifles heavy anough. So it will be a good Bipod canidate I think....I'll be frank about it. The 16" looks better and Has a more standard AK looking front sight base. The 20" has a weird looking front sight base. Anyone own a 20" and wish they had gotten a 16" instead?  I also don't need the muzzel brake on it. Im going looking in about a month. Atlanta has there bigger gunshow on July 12th & 13th .If I only find a 20" I might have to go with it.But Im thinking I might not find one at all. Robinson arms seems to be out at this time. Thanks for any input. WarDawg
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
the VeprK 223 is my favorite rifle, its an AR in an AK body
sub 1" @ 100yds
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
W.Dawg,
the type shooting you describe - "target shoot" and the use of a bipod all say 20" barrel.  With that barrel and then matching the correct bullet weight to your rifle's twist, you'll get all the accuracy and velocity the VEPR is capable of giving (assuming good ammunition).

I don't know a thing about VEPR's.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I did a little experiment for Red Star Arms last year using a 223 VEPR II. We wrote this report for the shooting community or whoever is interested in competitive shooting.

www.missouri.edu/~osb1e/Sub/VEPR_Report.pdf

If you find any of our statements/findings in the report to be wrong, please let me or Ken Roberts from RSA know.

Thanks

oz
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the VeprK 223 is my favorite rifle, its an AR in an AK body
sub 1" @ 100yds

I can only ditto what rodger says.......my favorite K model for accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#5]
From a sales and resale perspective, I can tell you that the carbine version (16") is more popular.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
If you prefered irons, very long shots, or not using a rest, I'd clearly say 20". But scoped, rested, out to 200yds I'd get 16" for better handling in other uses. Before you rush to put a bipod on it, consider trying the tough AK 30 rnd mag as a monopod since it is free and does not affect bbl harmonics (no way is an AK free floated bbl).
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#7]
20".  It's a unique rifle, so go with a unique length.  16" AK's are easily had, plus you get a bit more velocity with the 20".

take care,
Tec
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top