Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/17/2003 6:32:07 PM EDT
Just need some advice. I want to get an AK Should I order thru an FFL from Aim or somwhere else or go to a gun show and pick one out?A dealer that I know is reasonable. I see alot of places in the SHOTGUN NEWS ofering deals with a few mags. If they are all the same I might as well get the extra mags, but if some dealers have better guns or service than others I would rather pay the few extra dollars. I am thinking the gun shows because of the canted sight and gas tube issues.At a show I would see what I am getting but probaly pay a little more. I would appreciate any advice .Thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I am very happy with the one I got from AIM. As far as I know the canted sight problem has been taken care of. I haven't heard of a 2002 model with that problem.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:51:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Plenty in Ohio shows for $335-350 out the door. AIM is a great company, and SAR QC gets better each year, but I still prefer handpicks. Medina has a show this weekend if you are local for it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL, yes Aimless... tell them all about how you had six boxes open on the counter obscuring all the store's pistols in the glass cabinets as you tried to decide which AK to buy?  I've seen people spend less time looking over a Rolls Royce before they bought it...
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I was afraid to buy one sight unseen. I went in a pawn shop last week and found a WASR-10 Hi-cap for $329.00. Be darned if I didn't find a SAR-1 today in a gunstore 2 towns over. Traded even up for a beat up MISR S/A that I had and an old Phoenix HP22 that jammed all the time...good deal I guess?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help. I had read about the sight and gas tube problems, but I was not sure if they still are a concern. If I dont have to work I will go to Medina Sat but I am going shooting at Tusco Sun. Any thoughts on mags??
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Aimless, the Desmond staff still talks about the little Charlie Brown looking terrorist!  I tell you, that weekend was like ARF-Queda...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:04:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Before you go to the show, you might visit the Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles website.

http://linx310.nothingbutguns.com/

It gives you an idea of what to look for.  Personally, I line up the sights from the muzzle backwards.  This immediately shows you 1) any canted components 2) the view you really don't want to see if the gun is loaded!

To me saving the money to fix canted sight and gas blocks is worth going to someplace where you can sheck out the gun is worth it.  You should also consider some other unique attributes of the SAR (as well as many other variants)like trigger slap.

You can spend the money now, or you can spend the money later.  The SAR-1 is in the "later" category.  But you will definitely spend it, unless you pick up 'smithing skills real quick.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Start with Frank and Karen on the far left end, as they are usually pretty friendly with accessory prices made with gun buys. Otherwise ammunitionstore may still have a bin while you head toward the center of the bldgs. I also have made several nice gun buys from Big Jim on the back wall by the center rear doors, but he does not stock mags normally. There are usually some from a guy at the end of a row near Jim. Otherwise head to the far right rear area to see (drat, blanking the woman's name) who usually has good ammo and mag deals as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a Sar-1 with laminated stock ,hi-cap mags, yesterday from center fire systems in Kentucky.First AK for me, as you can see from the name, i'm AR15-nut. The rifle looks good.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top