Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/17/2003 12:52:08 PM EDT
I took my SAR-1 out today for the first time and I must say, I'm impressed.  Nothing special, just got tired of waiting for my case of ammo from AIM so I shot up the sixty rounds I bought when I got the gun.  I gotta say, the AKs get too much bad press for accuracy.  Sure, it's nothing to write home about but I was shooting water bottles at about fifty yards off hand and during rapid fire, which is exactly what I expect an AK to do.  I didn't notice any serious trigger slap either.  Seems the monkeys at CAI have a capacity to learn.  The only thing that kind of bugged me was the weapon is so petite I can't get a proper cheek weld while wearing ear muffs.  That's no big gripe though because I could still hit the bottles by just pointing the weapon and squeezing off a few rounds.  Boy, I can't wait to get more ammo and bump fire it!  For the price you can't go wrong on these.  I think next month I'll go back to the gun store and grab the SAR-2 they had for $270.  I highly reccommend one of these rifles for anyone debating whether or not to buy one.

*Edit to Add*

Damn those handguards get hot!  After the first forty rounds I had to put on a pair of gloves to handle the weapon.  Any fix for this?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#1]
C_C, $270 seems like a good price on an SAR-2.  I have an SAR-2 and am going to next invest in new furniture with a longer stock from K-Var.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have found a better cheek weld with a longer stock.  Also, the hot handguards can be taken care of by getting the Bulgarian style  handguards from K-Var.

This works well as you can buy a whole stock kit with a longer stock and the heat sheided handguards from them.  They come in Black, OD green, and plum.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, it's kind of funny about that price.  I bought my SAR-1 from the same guys for $399 minus a 10% discount.  The SAR-2 they have is for $299 minus the same 10% discount.  I can't believe the ridiculous price on the SAR-1.  I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get the forty dollars off.  The SAR-2 however, at $270, is twenty dollars cheaper than what AIM is asking for them and I don't have to pay a receiving fee or shipping.  I think I'm going to buy it and a USP .45 next month if I can find the USP at a decent price.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have found a better cheek weld with a longer stock.  Also, the hot handguards can be taken care of by getting the Bulgarian style  handguards from K-Var.

This works well as you can buy a whole stock kit with a longer stock and the heat sheided handguards from them.  They come in Black, OD green, and plum.

What you've posted is what I need to make sure I buy.  Longer stock and the heat shielded handguards and maybe in .........plum.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
thats the only reason i dont like AKs.  The handguards are too small.  after your done bumpfiring you'll burn a finger or two!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
welcome to the club
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
The cost difference has to do with supply and demand.  the SAR-1 is a sure sale someone will buy it.  The SAR-2 and the 5.45 are not as well known, therefore it will take him longer to sell it and he is in the business of turning over inventory.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Well if it were me I would run, not walk, and pick up that SAR2 lest they sell it and raise the price on the next one.  That is truly a good deal for a NIB SAR2 in a gunshop!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I understand the reason for the cost difference and intend to make some of my cash back by picking up the SAR-2.  However, the guys at some of my local gunshops are total clowns.  It's a kick to listen to them tell unwise customers about guns.  On the plus side, some times they forget scopes, lights, and orther misc. accessories aren't included in the price.  Back to the issue though.  $400 for a SAR-1 is ridiculous.  about $320-$350 is what I would expect to pay at a walk in gunshop.  Like I said, had I not gotten the $40 off, I would not have bought the SAR-1.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top