Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/15/2003 4:44:26 PM EDT
I am intrigued by the SGN adds for the Real Russian AK-47 kits type II and III - any of Y'all seen these in real life ? Anyone dealt with NorthRidge before ?

How could a not machinist like mean put togethere a Type II look alike.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the FS forum for some that I am selling..
I have been trying to get T2 receivers built for years from other manufactures....just not worth their time.... but now that maybe these kits are out there....who knows... BTW, Northridge guys are nice to deal with... Flew out there my self a while back for some kits.
You will not get a hand picked kit or pics like mine from them, so if you want to see what you are getting as opposed to a random grab bag, go see my ad which I am putting up right now. Thanks,
-C
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd check out the kits he's got for sale over there.  The pics are amazing and the wood he's got is supposed to be a good bit better then the average.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Ajer, thanks for the kudos....
I still want to stress though, that the wood is nothing to write home about....I have handled literally hundreds and hundreds of used Russian AK wood sets, and it is very difficult to find anything that resembles the condition of what I would call factory fresh.
They are out there, and more and more are turing up, but I have had a semi auto Russian Type III AK-47 built for almost 3 years now,
and to this day I have changed out various pieces probably 15 times, constantly looking for that new unissued set, or a better piece here and there. I know a few new sets have recently come accross the pond, but they cost almost as much as the kits themselves.... I am going to Russia in 25 days, hopefully I can scare up some old/new stock!!!!
-C
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:51:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Chamberlin, perhaps a stupid question...

But would it be possible to attempt a Russian Type II with a milled MAK90 receiver ?

I can't post pics but the angle going towards the pistol grip appears (almost) identical. I suppose if it could be done you would have done it, just curious...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Wes, not necessarily- I am stickler for authenticity, so sure it probably can be done-

Barrel threads gotta be lathed off and cut down to the smaller Chinese Journal dimension, and barrel pressed in instead of threaded in (or you can thread the chinese receiver). You would also loose the rear stock since there is no place for the rear stock trunion to dovetail onto (assumming Type II here).
Either way, lots of work. Firingline makes the threaded receiver, but even it has thread timing issues, and is a copy of a copy of the Russian Type III receiver, not Type II.
-C
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up one of each.  They are used but not in that bad of shape.  Wood is well used.

Chamberlin,

So would you use press and pin over a threaded receiver?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Chamberlin, thank you for the info and pictures. Man I am sorely tempted to take the Type III of your hands. Let me go and look in the cookie jar.

As to threaded versus pressed barrels - having built some of each - I will never ever build a press barrel again - I will hire it out to a pro. The threaded for me just works out sooo much better and easier. I still have my home fabbed wrench and barrel blocks from my Polish PMK. What are the timing issues with the Firingline Receivers ? Mine PMK went together just perfect with Half a Thou taken off of the barrel shoulder.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Sundance, I would not be able to sleep at night
if I were to turn the threads off a perfectly good Russian barrel. My type III is threaded into it's Firingline receiver, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

B-slap, for me pressed barrels are a piece of cake, done plenty of AKM and AK-74 stuff with no major headaches. The Firingline receiver
was a pain for many reasons, even though I had worked on lots of FALs before. I got one of Mike's first 6 receivers, and altough I had fun, it was a learning experience. The basic prob with the thread timing, is that he started it about 180 deg out from where the general ComBloc average starts. You might get a barrel close (like your Polish barrel) or you might be a ways off like some Hungarian and Russian barrels I have seen. 3 years ago when I did my Type III, I started by making a washer to time it, but then realizing you could drive a truck through the headspace gap!
Then I ended up taking down the shoulder as you did, to give me the 15 deg pre load I wanted. In this manner, the lugs on my bolt had to be taken down to headspace the rifle.
No big deal. The real problem lies in the fact that the Russian manufacturing process threaded receivers and barrels roughly at the same starting point every time, and any discrepancies or compound errors were fixed by picking the right sized bolt out of the bins, or custom grinding the lugs to headspace the weapon. You see, the barrels were screwed in bare and blank, tightend, and then the breachface cut was made with a vertical end mill (which BTW guys you will be able to see evidence of this on the inside right of the front receiver stubs when you get them!), the gas port drilled, pin cuts, and barrel parts were installed later. So you can kinda see how it is difficult for Mike at Firingline to determine a good staring point for his threads.
We are kinda 'reverse' building these things here, since your ports, cuts and barrel parts
are already indexed to the original thread timing on your barrel/receiver combo!
For me the AKM/74 style pressed barrel offers TONS of flexibility in headspacing/ R/L alignment, and is a piece of cake.....but what fun is that!?!?
Hope this helps you out-
-C
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Chamberlain, thats exactly what Mike at firingline told me. I had the luxury of taking my PMK barrel to the Tulsa gunshow and doing a test fit on his receiver. My problem with pressing the barrel, is that the barrel seems to start and stop and when pressing it on my homemade half-assed press and jig. I guess I am old school with liking the threaded barreled jobs, they are easier to barrel than a Mauser, or at least the couple that I did were.

I did have to dress the back of the bolt lugs with a stone on my PMK build, I had always heard that the AK bolt was designed for final headspacing that way. The Bolts have that little pad on the back of the lugs. I have always thought that for AK's anyway the whole headspace thing is way over blown. My PMK would not take a Brownells Go Gage until I put a couple hundred rounds through it. The PMK has never Malf'd in a thousand rounds or so. A couple of my pressed jobs came out so that you could force them closed on a No-Go Gage. They shoot fine for me, no split or bulged cases.

I do not recommend my headspace practices for anyone else. You take your own chances following advice from a WECSOG like me.    
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top