Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/15/2003 1:30:01 PM EDT
I heard of Vepr's for awhile now. I went to a gunshow this weekend and there was one there in 7.62x39. I picked it up and played with it and I think its my next rifle. I went to the Robinson arms site and read up on them. Im stuck between the .308 and the .223  .I think I want carbine length but not positive.They claim the are accurate and that why I say the .308 or .223.Might as well get the tightest group I can .The 10 rnd mags are no problem with the .308.I have plenty of high cap rifles.This one doesn't nessaryly have to be one. But as for the .223 I have plenty of E. German 5.45x39 mags I could convert.You can convert them to shoot in this Vepr can't you????? It was alittle heavy.But it felt good.Its 9 pounds of rifle but felt like it was tank tough.Any feed back from Vepr owners is appreciated, WarDawg.

PS.Whats the going price on these. I seen the suggested retail price on there site .$599 Thanks again.WD
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
they are heavy, the new ones dont have the sweet trigger the old ones used to have(heh, i doubt rob. arms. replaced the commie one), action is a smooth as they come, and the stock while comfortable and tough is an overly heavy POS.

i have the 20" in 223, very accurate, out shoots my 20" SP1 in the informal goofing around ive done. heard phenominal things about the 308, but havnt shot one yet. the 223 will run on converted bakelites and hit or miss on bulg. waffles, havnt tried wiegers yet. think dealer is around $500, if the local guys have one, get it, as robinson never has them in stock
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been bitten by that bug as well. I just need some cash to lay out for a .223 K model.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Wardawg,  I have a VEPR II 308 and it's built like a tank.  It is a great shooter, but the only draw back is the low cap mags.  The 10 round mags work awesome, but they also cost $39 each.  The fit & finish is outstanding!

If the 10 round mags don't bother you the VEPR II 308 is a great choice.  I have heard that the 223 & the 5.45 VEPR II's are very accurate, and of course they take high cap mags.  

The VEPR's are a great choice if you don't mind not having a traditional looking AK.

My next 308 will be a FN FAL from Ohio Rapid Fire.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:02:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#5]

I really liked Trackers .308.  Smooth as a babys bottom.  Real nice.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
one of the dealers from colorado that advertises on the ee forum was selling .223's for $475 last fall/winter.

i still want a 5.45 20" to build an rpk-74 clone on.

Campybob,

Funny you should mention me. I just contacted Robinson this morning and was told that all VEPR in all calibers are currently out of stock -BUT- that the next shipment may (may) arrive at the end of June. We'll see.

The .223's I was selling last year were at a blowout price that I cannot sustain on a regular basis. My current pricing is $499 for VEPR 7.62x39, and $529 for VEPR .223. (plus shipping).

Half of the incoming shipment is already sold. Is there any interest from board members in any VEPR? Maybe Robinson will cut me a deal on a group buy.

Anybody?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is there any interest from board members in any VEPR? Maybe Robinson will cut me a deal on a group buy.

Yes, my interest is HIGH, but my fundage is low. I have been racking my brains to think of something to sell so I could buy one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I need a 5.45 donor as well for RPK-74 build.... A dealer friend and I got jacked this past year- we ordered two in like Oct.'02 and they were never delivered. He cancelled the order I think in April or something. Hope they get more, and yes I would be in  for a group buy, although I doubt if Alex would agree to anything....one can hope-
-C
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Lexington,
If this could be a group buy for any arfcommer, then I might be up for a Vepr in 5.45 or ???   Would have to find a FFL holder in Arizona willing to make a few dollars for the transfer.

Edited to add: If this GB thing gets going please IM mail me in case I loose track of this thread...

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#10]
these guys supposedly have all models in stock

www.impactguns.com
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
these guys supposedly have all models in stock

www.impactguns.com

Interesting site.......thanks.

Says the VEPR designed more along the lines of the RPK - that would denote 'tank'.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
the fact that its heavy makes it great for rapid firing, very little muzzle flip
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Lexington,
If this could be a group buy for any arfcommer, then I might be up for a Vepr in 5.45 or ???   Would have to find a FFL holder in Arizona willing to make a few dollars for the transfer.

Edited to add: If this GB thing gets going please IM mail me in case I loose track of this thread...

I'll have to keep track of the new group buy rules. Looks like this might be prohibited for awhile here on ARFCOM. My pricing will certainly be better than Impact Guns.

Says the VEPR designed more along the lines of the RPK - that would denote 'tank'.

Yes, it is a beefy receiver - overkill for a semi auto that will not generate the heat and torge of the RPK. But that's part of its charm.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I did a little experiment for Red Star Arms last year using a 223 VEPR II.  We wrote this report for the shooting community or whoever is interested in competitive shooting.

www.missouri.edu/~osb1e/Sub/VEPR_Report.pdf

If you find any of our statements/findings in the report to be wrong, please let me or Ken Roberts from RSA know.

Thanks

oz
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Impact doesn't have any in stock....just heard this morning....
-C
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I did a little experiment for Red Star Arms last year using a 223 VEPR II.  We wrote this report for the shooting community or whoever is interested in competitive shooting.

www.missouri.edu/~osb1e/Sub/VEPR_Report.pdf

OZ, thorough and professional report. Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Lexington, thank you.  Red Star Arms was kind enough to support this work.  All I did was shoot and think ...

The VEPR did not win the match.  But all those with higher scores were shooting DCM AR15 and NM M1A.  The VEPR did beat 18 other competitors, all shooting rack grade and some DCM or NM AR15.  However, only one out of the 18 shooters was a qualified NRA high power shooter, the rest were testing the high power water for the first time, or simply did not have enough high power experience under their belt to qualify.  In other words, their rifles may be more accurate, but the nut behind the trigger is still a dominating factor.

This VEPR is not mine, it belongs to Red Star Arms.  For a month prior to the match, I honestly spent more time with this rifle than I did with my wife and kids .... I still miss it sometimes .... It is a good shooting rifle, with a better sight system Lord knows what this rifle can do ...

This is one of the best shotgroup I ever had.  I admit it is not MOA quality, however, it was shot following the high power sustain fire rules:

10 rounds in 60 seconds
(From standing, time starts, drop to sitting position (that is on the ground, no bench here), charge rifle, fire 2 rounds, change magazine, charge rifle, fire 8 more rounds) Sling support is allowed.

Ken Roberts (RSA) and I after the match:

I still had carbon all over my face.  I sprayed bunch of sight blacken on the metal parts of the rifle trying to kill the glare coming from the sun right in front of me.

OZ

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#18]
M.Gun, that's a pretty fair target out of hot barrel and not FF (I assume the barrel is not free-floated).
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a K in 5.45.  It is a great gun but heavy.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top